Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsolete Video Formats

Default Obsolete Video Formats

Lately, I've been intrested in obsolete video formats like ced (see cedmagic.com for info), Laser Disc (search wikipedia), and the rarest TED. I want to know if anybody has or had any of these things and their experiences with them.

I remember this thing called 'AVI'. It was great, in 1992, it's 2008 and if needs to die already.

Remember when DivX and XviD came about? Both implimentations of what is formally known as 'MPEG-4 ASP' (Advanced Streaming Profile). It came with it's own container format, MP4... What did people do? They hacked MPEG-4 to fit into AVI resulting in what's called 'B Frame Decoder Lag' even. Now instead of adopting the MP4 container, the container MADE for MPEG-4 video, people are jumping to MKV. ...MKV being a container that almost NO hardware supports. It can only be implimented by software but it's NEVER seen in other hardware. It has no industry support or dedicated video hardware support unless it's hacked in.

It's a god damn shame. :/

MKV works pretty well on my computer. Are you sure it's not a codec problem?

AVI is nice, but MKV is truly beautiful.

I remember laser discs! We had them in my elementary school... so that was a while ago. They were so cool though - didn't have to be rewound, you could jump to different spots, and they were the size of a record ;-)

Granted, now we have all that in DVD. It was just neat seeing the whole deal evolve.

Kinda funny to think that HD DVD is already obsolete, ever since Blu-Ray won the 'war' between the two. You can hardly find HD DVD's anywhere here, but if you do, they're usually used or really cheap because everyone has switched to Blu-Ray. Thank God I have a PS3 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    Kinda funny to think that HD DVD is already obsolete, ever since Blu-Ray won the 'war' between the two. You can hardly find HD DVD's anywhere here, but if you do, they're usually used or really cheap because everyone has switched to Blu-Ray. Thank God I have a PS3 :P
    Yet everyone is still using DVD's or downloads and blu-ray sales haven't even gone up since it won. In fact I think they have gone down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    MKV works pretty well on my computer. Are you sure it's not a codec problem?

AVI is nice, but MKV is truly beautiful.
    No no no, MKV is not a format. It's a CONTAINER. It's basicly a BOX you put stuff in. Most MKV's look nice because they use h.264/AVC video, that being MPEG-4 AVC video. Which agian is MENT to be inside an MP4 container. The problem with MKV is it has NO support outside of PCs basicly with a few minor exceptions. The only difference is, MKV supports SSA, ASS and SRT subtitle formats natively where as MP4 is only ment to us MPEG-4 Timed Text but a nonstandard subtitle stream could be put inside assuming the demuxer/splitter used supported it.

The issue is, **** ALL else supports MKV. Not the PlayStation Portable, not the PlayStation 3, not the Xbox 360, not countless handheld video players, not the iPod video. What DO they support for h264/AVC? The MP4 container.

The MKV container is an execize in redundance.

hmm, knowing what laser disk is, I've seen those used by the 'sunfly karaoke system'... they look funny tho ^^

Quote Originally Posted by jraff View Post
    I remember laser discs! We had them in my elementary school... so that was a while ago. They were so cool though - didn't have to be rewound, you could jump to different spots, and they were the size of a record ;-)

Granted, now we have all that in DVD. It was just neat seeing the whole deal evolve.
    They still have them at my school.