Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone PLEASE explain what the deal is!

Default Someone PLEASE explain what the deal is!

Ok, just got my broadband connection, and am having a new issues:

1.) Most videos still takes way too long to load. Youtube is a freakin nightmare, even a tiny 30 second video proves to be too much. I spend more time waiting for it to load then I actually watch.

2.)I can't watch downloaded vids. I've tried it with the Firefox tool, I've tried it through Flash, nothing works. I've tried every combo of video viewing software there is, and i have no success.

3.) According to a speed test, this is what I get: Download Speed: 334 kbps (41.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 18 kbps (2.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 243 ms

Is that right for an advertised 3.2MB/s connection? Seems slow to me..
    Last edited by Drosera; 13-May-2008 at 20:02.

Error404

Try clearing your web cache, sometimes that helps. Have you tried completely restarting your router/modem?

I'm sure you can find a better deal for $60 a month. 3.2Mb for 60 sounds shit.

You may be too far from the main network where everyone connects to...If you are far enough, you won't get a good connnection...But call your provider and try to get it sorted out with them...But be warned...They aren't too helpful...

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreMickal View Post
    I'm sure you can find a better deal for $60 a month. 3.2Mb for 60 sounds shit.
    Sprint PCS, and no I don't think I can get better. I'm using a wireless card, not a modem or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromos View Post
    Sprint PCS, and no I don't think I can get better. I'm using a wireless card, not a modem or anything like that.
    Your connected to a cell phone tower, thats why its so slow. You can get a lot more beter with a REAL wired connection that does not relay on a cell phone tower. Those Wi-Fi cards should only be used for laptops and only if your on the road a lot.

I was gonna say 'wow that sucks' but you're using mobile broadband? That's par for the course for an internet you can access anywhere like it were a cellphone.

That said, mobile broadband really isn't ideal for an at home situation. It's what you get if you move or travel a LOT and need a lot of internet access.

Get a regular hardline, ADSL or cable.

I have found the problem- it's the signal. I moved my pc to a different room on a hunch, and it uploads about 1000 times faster that it did before.. The only thing I can figure, is that the satellite dish on the roof above my computer room was screwing up the signal. Just had to move elsewhere.

Oh yeah, and this service uses satellites, not cell towers or anything.

hmm, still you should get adsl2+ or cable dsl trust me its (insert infinite number here) X faster + its also a hunch cheaper

even with my fast-ass connection it still take FOREVER to load