Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Wisdom teeth removed

Default Getting Wisdom teeth removed

So sometime this month i'm getting my wisdom teeth removed and i'm wondering if during the surgery i have to wear diapers or after if i'm still under. Definitely wouldn't mind this since it would be my earliest opportunity to get diapers but, since they said don't eat/drink after X time before it i still have my doubts anyone who's had theirs removed any input is appreciated.

edit: thanks for the informative posts guys i get the idea now
    Last edited by boch121; 29-Jul-2010 at 01:54.

I higly doubt that'll be the case. My friend just had his wisdom teeth removed, and he didn't need any special treatment.

Uh, no. I know plenty of people who have had wisdom teeth removed. You are awake during the surgery. It is only your mouth that is numb. There is nothing about any of this that connects to the bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Uh, no. I know plenty of people who have had wisdom teeth removed. You are awake during the surgery. It is only your mouth that is numb. There is nothing about any of this that connects to the bladder.
    Not true. You can be put completely out during an oral surgery for wisdom tooth extraction. I know this, as I was put out for the removal of mine (four impacted ones).

So, "uh, no" yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by boch121 View Post
    So sometime this month i'm getting my wisdom teeth removed and i'm wondering if during the surgery i have to wear diapers or after if i'm still under. Definitely wouldn't mind this since it would be my earliest opportunity to get diapers but, since they said don't eat/drink after X time before it i still have my doubts anyone who's had theirs removed any input is appreciated.
    No, they won't diaper you, nor will you need them afterwards.

Where on earth do you come up with these questions? Are you just trolling here, or do you seriously think that surgeons are in the business of diapering patients?

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Not true. You can be put completely out during an oral surgery for wisdom tooth extraction. I know this, as I was put out for the removal of mine (four impacted ones).

So, "uh, no" yourself.
    My mistake then. I never knew of some who was put completely out for oral surgery, but I'm not at all familiar with dentistry.

i just had mine taken out 3 days ago and they did infact put me out....but you are only out for less than an hour so they wont sugjest a diaper or even ask you if you want to be cathed so dont plan on it....btw they dont even make you change into a gown so if you have diapers and want to wear one then go ahead but they cirtenly wont give you any.

I was completely out when I had mine removed and I don't really remember how long I was out for but it was definitely less than two hours. You will not need to wear diapers for that. You'll feel really groggy when you wake up but you'll still be fully capable of using a toilet.

Concur; I had all four of mine extracted under general anesthesia. The only consideration was that I wasn't in any shape to operate heavy machinery (or drive) for a few hours afterward. That, and I drank all my meals for about a week.

Just as a related aside, as people above said there is really no surgical procedure that you will be put in a diaper for, in the case of wisdom teeth surgery their will be no issue. Also just for people who might be wondering, even if you had a procedure under general anesthesia and are intubated you will not be diapered, in fact many patients who are having fairly quick low-risk operations and do not have other concerning medical conditions will just remain in whatever they had on when bought into the OR if it does not get in the way of the sterile field. If we do need to monitor output, or the operation is longer or more involved you will likely have a Foley catheter inserted once anesthesia has sedated you.

I'm on round TWO of my wisdom teeth. (I have two sets, lucky me, and a small jaw to start with) I've never been knocked out though. I'm not entirely sure why they would do that unless it was a very buried tooth or they were going to have to cut jaw bone away to get the tooth out etc. Probably happens, but very uncommon.

Icky feeling though when they're in your jaw good. Getting the tool on the tooth and cranking it back and forth and twisting trying to free it. Doesn't hurt at all, (thank god anesthetic!) but sure does feel weird. Forward impacted are nice, no bone to deal with. The ones that catch on the edge of the tooth in front of them though, those are the nasties. I'm leaving my forward impacted in, the only ones I've had removed (five so far...) were all vertical, catching on my rear molars. So ya, bad luck for me.

BTW, "a local" aka "local anesthetic" is where they numb your face/jaw. (the numbing is localized) iirc, "general" is the knockout. It knocks you out in general.