Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: patriotic a fad?

Default patriotic a fad?

I was walking to the store and saw all this patriotic stuff... before 9/11 over 3/4 of this was was really out there.
    Has being patriotic become a fad and showing patriotism a fad as well?
    what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Midnightrose; 28-Jul-2010 at 16:10. Reason: wording

I don't think it is a fad. I think the country has something to focus their patriatism on. I think patriatism is a belief that even though you can see the flaws in your society that you still find our country a good place to live and that we have a way of life that is worth maintaining. A lot of people show their patriatism by posting the flag at their home or putting a yellow ribbon in plain view so that everyone knows they have a personal stake in what is going on.

I also think you can be patriotic and be against the war. No matter what your politics are if you have a loved one that has served or is serving in the war you can't help but feel hope in our country and want your loved one to be safe and successful.

I think the difficulties our country is going through with multiple conflicts has put a lot of stress on our economy. I think there is a shift in the politics of who is or isn't supporting the war. I think there are a couple of major camps: those that believe since we've started this we need to follow through so that we don't leave two third world countries in shambles and on the other hand we have the thought that no matter what we do these countries are beyond help and that continuing to put our service men and women in harms way will leave families back home without loved ones.

I would agree with you in theory molicareak; but in practice it's a different story. Today patriotism has become synonymous with war for nearly any purpose or reason irregardless of why. We've fallen back to the days of "follow the leader," i often wished (even though I wouldn't) that those who embraced this war like a warm blanket got to see the dead bodies of our service men and woman that I did. I'm weary of war being glorified and viewed as an American foundation. God bless America but god d*mn this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
    I would agree with you in theory molicareak; but in practice it's a different story. Today patriotism has become synonymous with war for nearly any purpose or reason irregardless of why. We've fallen back to the days of "follow the leader," i often wished (even though I wouldn't) that those who embraced this war like a warm blanket got to see the dead bodies of our service men and woman that I did. I'm weary of war being glorified and viewed as an American foundation. God bless America but god d*mn this war.
    But without war, there will be no peace, natural order dictates that things go from order to anarcy back to order, then repeat. I am not saying i am pro-war, because i am far from it

but without war, there will be no peace, without peace there is no natural order, even in the animal kingdom there is war.
    And then you got everyone rushing out for a 'i shoot terrorists' or whatever sign, it's like this country are a bunch of sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrose View Post
    But without war, there will be no peace, natural order dictates that things go from order to anarcy back to order, then repeat. I am not saying i am pro-war, because i am far from it

but without war, there will be no peace, without peace there is no natural order, even in the animal kingdom there is war.
    And then you got everyone rushing out for a 'i shoot terrorists' or whatever sign, it's like this country are a bunch of sheep
    wat.

Of course there can be long-term, extended peace. There is no need to have wars for the sake of some amorphous "natural order".

There is not "war" among most species in the animal kingdom. Killing of your own kind for dubious reasons is limited to the select few smartest species in the animal kingdom (dolphins are an example).

On a historical basis, we're actually in one of the most peaceful several-decade periods ever. The wars that the world has had have been relatively minor in scale. It's dubious to argue that there is a firm "natural order" when that "natural order" can change dramatically in the here and now.

EmeraldsAndLime

Australia widely practices the antithesis of "American Patriotism".

In fact, being overtly pro-Australian on any day other than Australia Day (January 26, FYI) is somewhat looked down upon. This mostly ties in with the culturally iconic "Aussie Battler" image and the general impression that those who are well-off are snobby and arrogant. In fact, if you ever compared interviews of Australian celebrities (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Keith Urban, etc...) you'll quickly note that they all down-play their privileged, fortunate life and take every chance to note that they come from an "average family", that they aren't "special" and their successful career is just "another job".

The Australian Flag is respected and we're generally proud of it. However, we're exposed to it way less than other countries. It was unnerving when I travelled to North America and saw that a good portion of houses on any given street flew a flag. You just don't see that here. We're Australian, we know that, so we tend not to demonstrate it.

Well, that is unless we travel overseas. You'll always get the worst of a nation's expats at certain destinations, usually those that are close to home and commonly visited as they're the ones that dumbasses with no real interest in culture go to. In Mexico it's the Yanks, in Bali the Aussies, and in Greece and Spain it's the English. In support of Aussies I can say I have noticed that Aussies are not as desperate to hook up with other Aussies. If they hear a familiar accent they often tend to avoid that person. That makes us more adventurous than other nationalities IMO.

You'll see swarms of Brits; small, nervous looking groups of Koreans; 30 Brazilians with the same shirt on chanting the same song, all being insular and parochial; clusters of Canadians, especially the slightly frumpy blonde Canadian cookie cutter country girls; gaggles of Californian girls looking down their noses at all the rapists around them (ie. everyone) and entire bus-loads of Japanese, who are such xenophobic tourists they'll exclusively use JAL affiliated tour companies that hire Japanese tour-guides wherever they travel so they don't even have to meet staffers from the countries they visit. But Aussies tend to avoid each other like bubonic motherfuckers.

I think it is because travelling Aussies have had to make more of a physical effort to step outside their own culture (isolation much?) and are therefore more likely to make the most of it rather than reminiscing about their favourite sporting or soapie moments. Sometimes after seeing the same person for days we do eventually meet and we do connect better than with other Anglos (subconcious visual cues? intonation? humour?) but like I said, Aussies nevertheless seem to be more likely to resist stepping into the comfort zone.

Anyway, my on Aussie culture and patriotism.

Perhaps you misunderstand me, I'm not anti-war, I'm anti-war for war's sake. War without purpose and reason is a crime and wasteful. Even natural order allows for time of peace not perpetual war with no end.

LilLillyKitten

All I'm going to say is that I'm sick of the BS propaganda... The other day, I saw somebody with a vehicle so decked out in US crap that I could've sworn that it made me vomit into my mouth a little bit.

Oh, and not to mention the idiots who I talk to at my job who say that their ethnicity is "American." omg...

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    All I'm going to say is that I'm sick of the BS propaganda... The other day, I saw somebody with a vehicle so decked out in US crap that I could've sworn that it made me vomit into my mouth a little bit.

Oh, and not to mention the idiots who I talk to at my job who say that their ethnicity is "American." omg...
    That's why I posted this thread, it is almost like a fad in my thoughts,

LilLillyKitten

That's why I posted this thread, it is almost like a fad in my thoughts,
    I went to a tea party in TN... lol