Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)?

Default IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)?

So i have had stomach/intestinal problems ever sense i can remember (bloating, constipation, diarrhea, pain, never feel empty, stomach pains), and someone mentioned IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) about a year ago, and i looked it up some what and thought "o, that matches all my symptoms" and left it at that.

But now its gotten worse/better in some ways, the pain is less most of the times i eat something wrong or i have "one of those mornings". But what is worse is get the problems all the time (as in always) just not anywhere as bad as before, like the constipation or diarrhea will be there just not very badly, and because of that just about every time I'm horny i cant do any thing (i mean i i cant use my dildos or even get very aroused) because i have diarrhea or constipation.

So now I'm worried it might not be IBS because its nearly always affecting me but not as severely as before. Can IBS change from random moments (and like every morning) to just about always?

Yup. In my IBS experience, it can get worse and better throughout the month, week, and day. Its kind of like a menstrual cycle, except unpredictable and more embarrassing when you have a leak.

A little hope, though. IBS can go away. I had IBS through high school and most of college (which includes several horrible accidents). Then, Senior year summer I got in shape, lo and behold, the IBS completely went away.

Don't give up all hope, my man.

I don't have it but I've know some people who do. I believe you have to be careful as to what you eat, and you can also get medication for it. I would say that you should see a doctor, because it can be very serious.

IBS varies between sufferers, I was diagnosed with it about 6 years ago and went through hell in m last year of studies. Came through that and it cleared up and I thought it was gone. That was until the beginning of last year, it came back with a vengence and it didnt help that I was stressed at the time (time leading up to losing my job).

It's been steady since then, either as you've had with constant mild cramps and bouts of either constipation or diarrhea, though recently its been the latter.

Best thing I can suggest is going to your doctors as soon as possible. I was sent for a second round of tests including an endoscopy and they've now shifted my diagnosis to IBD. Just be wary of pseudo meds, at first i was put on meds that didnt do anything as they hoped it was psychological (wtf?!) been bounced between meds a few times now but for me is not made a difference.
    However as I say, IBS is different for everyone.

Everything else has already been said, adjusting your diet etc...
    try dropping different things out of your diet and see if it helps, if it doesnt try dropping something else.

In my case I got fed up with all the tests and it seems tat for my hospital at least, IBS seems to be a catchment diagnosis for "somethings wrong with your butt but we dont know what" I'm now padded whenever I'm feeling off and have to venture too far from a toilet.

You might try Prilosec OTC from your local drug store. I have problems with lower and upper GI so my doctor put me on generic Prilosec for the upper end (heartburn). It really helped the heartburn but after a few weeks, I noticed that my IBS was a lot better too. My theory is that the stuff going into my bowels is less acidic and therefore less irritating. You can get Priolosec without a prescription at any drugstore for about $1 per day. ...Maybe it will help you too.

Eh...I'd go see a medical professional about it. Sounds like IBS. But there is worse. There is something called Crohn's disease which is an autoimmune disease that can cause similar symptoms to IBS. It is a type of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), a chronic inflammatory disease of the GI system that manifests initially as abdominal pain, followed by diarrhea. It goes in cycles, with flare ups and remissions common.

Ulcerative colitis is another IBD, but unless you see blood in your stools, that's probably not what you have.

Bear in mind these are worst case scenarios, and it's probably just IBS, although that is really just a catch all for a problem that doesn't have another diagnosis, in other words, a diagnosis of exclusion. You have to exclude other possible causes before you call it IBS. So that really means, "We don't know what else to call it, so it's IBS." The good part is that they should have ruled out the known bad diseases when they call it this.

Try adjusting your diet. Do you eat/drink a lot of dairy products? If so, try to cut back and see what happens. Could be some lactose intolerance, as the symptoms are oftentimes similar.

Prilosec (Omeprazole) is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) that blocks the proton pump system in the certain gastric cells that secrete acid. This causes a reduction in gastric acid production. PPI's are useful for things like reflux (GERD), and ulcerative diseases of the stomach, but not so much bowel diseases (although it may help a little if your acid production is high and your lower end is already irritated). This is one of the more common medicines I give on my floor, that and famotidine (pepcid). It can be used in people with GI diseases, as many also have some sort of reflux/vomiting or peptic ulcers, but it won't necessarily help the bowel problem itself.

Probably isn't anything serious, but if it's that bad, I'd go see someone about it. I work on a GI surgical floor in a hospital so I see all kinds of bowel diseases and Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis are two of the more common ones we see. Granted, these are bad cases, so I don't want to scare you. Still, it's good to be safe.

I have the same issue, IBS. It really does change from day to day - EVERYTHING effects it: Stress, emotional changes, tiny dietary changes like eating too much dairy, sugar, meat or ...water, even the weather can cause IBS flares.

The best thing to do in my experience is try to control foods that your gut feels are the devil. I have to watch dairy to keep flare-ups away, and it kills me because I'm an ice cream addict! Also, meditation and stretching can work wonders to reduce stress level (with the plus of just being damn good for you overall.)

Unless you've got bleeding, vomiting, unexplainable weight loss/gain, or Severe pain that impacts your ability to live life fairly normally, you really don't have to worry about anything. If you've got insurance, a quick checkup by a doctor won't hurt, otherwise, just keep tabs on your diet. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MixyNyxi View Post
    Eh...I'd go see a medical professional about it. Sounds like IBS. But there is worse. There is something called Crohn's disease which is an autoimmune disease that can cause similar symptoms to IBS. It is a type of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), a chronic inflammatory disease of the GI system that manifests initially as abdominal pain, followed by diarrhea. It goes in cycles, with flare ups and remissions common.

Ulcerative colitis is another IBD, but unless you see blood in your stools, that's probably not what you have.

Bear in mind these are worst case scenarios, and it's probably just IBS, although that is really just a catch all for a problem that doesn't have another diagnosis, in other words, a diagnosis of exclusion. You have to exclude other possible causes before you call it IBS. So that really means, "We don't know what else to call it, so it's IBS." The good part is that they should have ruled out the known bad diseases when they call it this.

Try adjusting your diet. Do you eat/drink a lot of dairy products? If so, try to cut back and see what happens. Could be some lactose intolerance, as the symptoms are oftentimes similar.

Prilosec (Omeprazole) is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) that blocks the proton pump system in the certain gastric cells that secrete acid. This causes a reduction in gastric acid production. PPI's are useful for things like reflux (GERD), and ulcerative diseases of the stomach, but not so much bowel diseases (although it may help a little if your acid production is high and your lower end is already irritated). This is one of the more common medicines I give on my floor, that and famotidine (pepcid). It can be used in people with GI diseases, as many also have some sort of reflux/vomiting or peptic ulcers, but it won't necessarily help the bowel problem itself.

Probably isn't anything serious, but if it's that bad, I'd go see someone about it. I work on a GI surgical floor in a hospital so I see all kinds of bowel diseases and Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis are two of the more common ones we see. Granted, these are bad cases, so I don't want to scare you. Still, it's good to be safe.
    i hate doctors, there so useless most of the time (in my experience). thought about it tho, but i have been to tired/down to go there. also lol the only dairy i eat is cheese and that never upsets my bowls. Its usually caused by exotic things or just foods i haven't eaten in a long time (or taco bell that aaaaaaaalllllllllwwwways gives me the shitsx10). And i know its not crohns disease, my step dad has it and i can tell what i have is diff

Oddly enough, I hate going to doctors too. Seems weird, doesn't it? It's like finding a good mechanic, you don't know who to trust until you've already gotten bamboozled. There are good doctors, but a lot of not so good ones too, and that's the problem. One or two bad experiences turns people off for life.

But like I said, it's probably nothing serious and it obviously isn't dairy related, so if it doesn't get any worse, you're probably ok with trying to adjust your diet/lifestyle a bit. Taco Bell...yeah. Avoid overly greasy foods, if you have IBS, that will most certainly make it worse. Anything harder to digest will. Like other people said, IBS does indeed go in cycles sometimes, so it is normal to get worse, better, worse, etc.

But if it gets a lot worse at some point, I would try and at least get it checked out.

If not, well, good luck and hopefully good bm's. Wait...ewww...

You could be allergic to preservatives in foods, perhaps. Food allergies can mimic IBS pretty well. Also, yayyyy for hating doctors and pharmaceutical companies! The answer can be right under your nose, and yet they get 100,000 bucks a year for insulting people and humiliating them. I would know, my mother had endometriosis for years and I saw what she went through thanks to drugs. After I was diagnosed with it (after many a "just lose weight, all pelvic pain will leave" LIES), I vowed to walk out of there and never go back, never trusting people again thanks to my shittastic experiences. Ugh, rant aside, an organic diet can really do you well. (Oh, and Taco Bell gives everyone the shits. :P But I know firsthand how tempting chalupas are.)