Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: college...location location location

Default college...location location location

okay, recently i have been thinking more and more about collage(im a junior....will be soon)and i don't know where i want to go i was thinking canada just because it matches my requirementswhich are:
    1 must be near a beach(im a total beach bum)
    2 preferably snow in the winter(i love snow to no end)
    3 mush have couses in science (my major is ganna be biochemical.....nvm you dun care)
    4 preferably an old timey feeling (i hate huge cities)
    5 preferably have an industrial zone (like empy wharehouses and construction yards(that one is a secret reason)
    so what are your requirements for collage?
    and where would you recomend i go ?
    and if you ave already been to collage what was your best experience..or worst?

No.

You are making the mistake of prioritizing a bunch of transient factors. What really matters is:

1. the quality of the education, and
    2. what you are paying for it.

These two points exist together: you are looking for the best bang for your buck.

There is a nasty habit among American teens and their parents to look far and wide for the "perfect fit" college, wasting an absurd amount of time and money traveling around to do college visits. The truth is that whether or not the school's campus is pretty or the rec-center is awesome or the surrounding city has lots of activities won't matter a hill of beans 4 years later when you are a freshly minted professional trying to pay down college debt.

Moreover, there isn't too much difference in the quality of education you get from one school to the next. The edge that more prestigious schools actually have are better resources for research, more interesting programs outside of the regular classroom, and in the case of the super-elite schools (Ivy League, MIT, and their ilk) extremely valuable connections to be made.

I don't know your family's financial situation, but, short of you being very poor, very rich, or very, very bright, money is likely to be the most important consideration when choosing a college.

When I'm making collages I tend to look for bits of shells and interesting things from nature. As for colleges, I have to agree with NutFreeFruitcake here, it's all about the money. Travelling far and wide makes no difference. Some uni's and colleges are really good for certain courses, and those are the ones you need to be looking at. By all means if you're accepted into two colleges with the same record for the course you want to do, then look at the location and travelling etc, but until that point, don't worry about it.

Also, if you want to get into college, make sure you know how to spell it.

First off if you want to get in to college you need to spell it correctly. second off, your qualities you're looking for in the area of the college are counter intuitive, for the most part. there are like two places that I know of that sort of match your requirements in the US, first off would be Brandeis University, second would be Caltechm both of which would require you to be abso-fucking-lutely brilliant to get in.

Is there a guide for american universities that shows things like "graduation rate" and "graduate employment" and other course related stuff because that will help make your decision (The Times university guide helped me immensely for anyone in the UK thinking of applying). The rest of the stuff you listed is pointless, geographical location doesn't matter. What you want is good educational facilities.

And as everyone else has pointed out if you don't spell college right then they won't even look at your application. Good personal statements make a world of difference so good spelling and grammar is paramount.

NutFreeFruitcake is right when he says that the cost and quality of your education should be the two most important factors when choosing a university.
    You don't want to be like the some of the people at my school with over $200,000 of debt after fours years with a degree in Theater.

Don't think about much fun college will be, becuase most of the time it's not fun, just a lot of hard work.
    I've seen people go through mental breakdowns, uncontrollable crying, and stress induced vomiting during tests.
    You most likely won't have time to do things like go to beach, or play in the snow.
    Most of your time will be spent studying in a some dusty library.

Also make sure the university you pick is well known for the field your going into.
    Just because they offer the major doesn't mean that the university is going to be recognized by the people who work in your field.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    No.

You are making the mistake of prioritizing a bunch of transient factors. What really matters is:

2. what you are paying for it.

These two points exist together: you are looking for the best bang for your buck.

There is a nasty habit among American teens and their parents to look far and wide for the "perfect fit" college, wasting an absurd amount of time and money traveling around to do college visits. The truth is that whether or not the school's campus is pretty or the rec-center is awesome or the surrounding city has lots of activities won't matter a hill of beans 4 years later when you are a freshly minted professional trying to pay down college debt.

Moreover, there isn't too much difference in the quality of education you get from one school to the next. The edge that more prestigious schools actually have are better resources for research, more interesting programs outside of the regular classroom, and in the case of the super-elite schools (Ivy League, MIT, and their ilk) extremely valuable connections to be made.

I don't know your family's financial situation, but, short of you being very poor, very rich, or very, very bright, money is likely to be the most important consideration when choosing a college.
    </thread>, with the addition that you want a place offering small class sizes at the undergrad level. I went to a no-name university after being accepted to Brown (damn you, money!) and I still run circles around most in the three disciplines I studied there.

The factors you point to as important are ultimately unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    First off if you want to get in to college you need to spell it correctly.
    What're you talking about? That wasn't a requirement for my collage!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    What really matters is:

2. what you are paying for it..
    Okay, considering we can all agree on this statement and the statements that others have made in this thread, I'm not going to say the same thing. Instead, I am going to try to answer Jackalpup's question here:

Quote Originally Posted by jackalpup View Post
    okay, recently i have been thinking more and more about collage(im a junior....will be soon)and i don't know where i want to go i was thinking canada just because it matches my requirementswhich are:
    1 must be near a beach(im a total beach bum)
    2 preferably snow in the winter(i love snow to no end)
    3 mush have couses in science (my major is ganna be biochemical.....nvm you dun care)
    4 preferably an old timey feeling (i hate huge cities)
    5 preferably have an industrial zone (like empy wharehouses and construction yards(that one is a secret reason)
    Chances are that those three factors will not really coincide;of course, you have your exceptions, but not too many industrial zones in rural beach city college towns in North America. Besides, why do you need an empty warehouse and/or construction yard near your college? For crazy biochemistry experiments or something?

so what are your requirements for collage?
    and where would you recomend i go ?
    What exactly are you asking for the first question? Like requirements for the college we're going to? Requirements to get into colleges in general?

Well, assuming that you do live in Florida and that you are a beach bum, you could always stay in state (I know that New College of Florida is right on the coast) and go for the bang-for-your-buck route. It's going to be a tad hard to match the Florida weather to the Canadian weather, and you got to keep in mind that going to a Canadian college when you reside in the states will be expensive. University of Victoria is what I have picturing if you do decide to apply somewhere in Canada; its not really by the water, but its in a good location...and there might be some warehouses or whatever you need up there.

What would be good for you to do is talk to a college counselor (or high school counselor) about this; he or she could put you in the right direction. OR you could use a search engine to find more answers to the questions you ask. You just became a junior; you still have a lot of time to decide where you want to go and what route you want to take. Just keep your grades up, take your standardized tests, join a couple clubs/do some sports, volunteer a little bit, and work on your writing skills for the essays you will have to write. It wouldn't be bad practice to start writing with proper grammar and spelling on forums too.
    Last edited by Asher; 24-Jul-2010 at 20:15. Reason: Added some more information

Looking at your post, I am concerned that you are not looking at the right places for the right reasons. The amenities should be used only as a tie-breaker between two equally good schools.

My main concern, however, is your apparent priorities. Third on your list was a need for science classes, something that most state schools have in abundance. Before that, however, you listed proximity to a beach, and snow in the winter. These are nice, but should not be considered at all in the decision process. My concern is that you are looking at schools for the social life that goes along with it, rather then for an education that will be with you for the rest of your life.

I know this because the exact same thing happened to me my second year. I nearly flunked out of school, and was put onto academic probation the following semester. That was the wake up call I needed to, as my dad likes to say ' Grab the bull by the tail, and face the situation"

Since then, I have buckled down, studied, and do you know what I discovered? I discovered that the school that I was going to was not the best academic fit for me. I discovered that the only reason that I was staying there was that I liked the area and the people I was with. That was not a good enough reason for me to stay. So, I transferred to one of the Massachusetts State Colleges (I am not confortable saying which one at the moment), and am much happier there.

Or, for the TL;DR version,

Go for the best academic school you can, and forget all the rest.