Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcoholism

Default Alcoholism

My family has been having a little trouble lately..My mother is an alcoholic, and though we've known this for a few years, its been a pain in the ass lately..

Shes gotten her 4th or 5th DUI, and is set to go to court soon. Now, according to Kansas law, she could get anywhere form 3 months to a year in prison.

She and her little AA buddies say that its all a disease, but my dad and others I know say differently. I don't know what or who to trust anymore.

I could say more, but thats all I want to type for now...Your two cents is appreciated!

I think you guys need an intervention of some sort...Or get some help from someone/place other than AA

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I think you guys need an intervention of some sort...Or get some help from someone/place other than AA
    I've herd a lot of definitions of the word intervention, so could you elaborate? And how it would help?

An intervantion is where you, family, friends, doctors maybe would gather together and talk this out with your mom...Usually it's unexpected for your mom...You guys would share your feelings with your mom, and hope that she sympathizes and realize the wrong in her drinking, and get some help from somewhere other than AA...Like rehab...It can help by getting her out of AA, and getting her some better help, since AA doesn't seem to be working that well

Thats true, AA doesn't mean crap... But does this all mean that my mom loves booze more than me? Thats all that makes since, other than the less-believable disease theory.

I think they call it a disease because they don't want to admit that it controls their life...Which is why your mom needs rehab

Error404

Alcohol is a dangerous subject in the hands of addict, saying that your mom loves alcohol more than you seems a little extreme.

Let her know you're there for her, maybe even try get her some more specific help, I agree that AA is obviously doing little for her.

But don't dismay, you'll get through this, we're here for you, drop me a PM if you wanna discuss it with me, I'm all yours.

Keep on kickin', buddy!

~E404

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Alcohol is a dangerous subject in the hands of addict, saying that your mom loves alcohol more than you seems a little extreme.

Let her know you're there for her, maybe even try get her some more specific help, I agree that AA is obviously doing little for her.

But don't dismay, you'll get through this, we're here for you, drop me a PM if you wanna discuss it with me, I'm all yours.

Keep on kickin', buddy!

~E404
    Thanks dude, that means alot. I'm gonna try and tell her that AA isn't the best choice, but we'll see if it does any good.

But if it isn't a disease, than why the hell is she doing this? She put me in alot of danger in the car numerous times. Thats the most confusing part.

Error404

Sometimes, people fall into a slump. It's just how life goes sometimes, I'm sure she doesn't mean it, just make sure to reassure her that you love her and that her health means ALOT to you.