Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal?!

Default What is the deal?!

I doubt there's much to discuss I thought I'd just share.

Ever since I began transition about two years ago my hormones levels are such that I've had zero sex-drive and tend to be oblivious to any advance male or female. Yet when a roommate of mine borrows my baby powder that i haven't touched in a long time for after her shower I get a whiff as she walked by and suddenly I'm a teen again and out of my mind crazy obsessed. It boggles my mind how something so simple and innocuous can cause such intense reactions!!

Excuse me I'm going for a shower hot or cold haven't decided yet.

This does not surprise me at all. Smell is very strongly linked to memory and emotion. A familiar smell can trigger emotions better then most anything else. Baby powder gets me too. So does Ivory dish soap because my Mom used to use it as cheap and avalible bubble bath when I was little.

Smell has direct links to the part of your brain that governs memory that the other senses do not. It's actually quite common for people to have various intense reactions to various smells for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Smell has direct links to the part of your brain that governs memory that the other senses do not. It's actually quite common for people to have various intense reactions to various smells for this reason.
    I'm going to blind shot since I just finished my MA cert and we covered the brain and nerves last month, but smell is governed by the Temporal Lobe of the cerebrum and intense sexual reaction from smell comes from the hypothalamus. This doesn't contribute at all I'm just seeing if I brain dumped everything.

Mmmm, interesting how pleasurable a simple scent can be... But i'm with you on the baby powder zoey, sends me crazy from just a hints of it :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
    I doubt there's much to discuss I thought I'd just share.

Ever since I began transition about two years ago my hormones levels are such that I've had zero sex-drive and tend to be oblivious to any advance male or female. Yet when a roommate of mine borrows my baby powder that i haven't touched in a long time for after her shower I get a whiff as she walked by and suddenly I'm a teen again and out of my mind crazy obsessed. It boggles my mind how something so simple and innocuous can cause such intense reactions!!

Excuse me I'm going for a shower hot or cold haven't decided yet.
    None of this should be a surprise, ie, significant changes in hormones could be expected to cause significant changes in sex drive, among other things. As for scent, why do you think there is a market for perfume?

So I'm assuming 1) you're MtF and 2) you had a sex drive before transitioning -- correct me if I'm mistaken. If this is the case, then I'm not that surprised either, although I do think it's really interesting. I have a close friend who's transitioning (also MtF), and she's mentioned various changes in sex drive. I have pretty irregular hormone level -- sometimes they're really high, but most of the time they're pretty low. I'd see a doctor about it, except I rather like having low hormone levels :P Anyway, I've noticed that when my hormones (i.e. testosterone) are high, I can get horny over just about anything, even something I'm not normally into. In contrast, when my hormones are low, I'm much more docile, so to speak, and only the things I'm really interested in faze me. Perhaps something similar is happening to you, since your testosterone levels are so much lower than they used to be.

Truthfullies

Quote Originally Posted by MessyMan View Post
    Smell can do that.
    It can work both ways such as smelling something foul can turn you off

Visual stimuli work the same way

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    So I'm assuming 1) you're MtF and 2) you had a sex drive before transitioning -- correct me if I'm mistaken. If this is the case, then I'm not that surprised either, although I do think it's really interesting. I have a close friend who's transitioning (also MtF), and she's mentioned various changes in sex drive. I have pretty irregular hormone level -- sometimes they're really high, but most of the time they're pretty low. I'd see a doctor about it, except I rather like having low hormone levels :P Anyway, I've noticed that when my hormones (i.e. testosterone) are high, I can get horny over just about anything, even something I'm not normally into. In contrast, when my hormones are low, I'm much more docile, so to speak, and only the things I'm really interested in faze me. Perhaps something similar is happening to you, since your testosterone levels are so much lower than they used to be.
    100%! I just love having what I consider a control of my sex drive. Only down side is I can cry at the drop of a hat, but my personality has just blossomed, but that's pry more to do with transition rather than hormones. It's interesting how I continue to discover multiple physical traits that point to being born inter-sexed though to a lesser degree than some.