Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "truth about disposables" for real or just bullsh!t?

Default "truth about disposables" for real or just bullsh!t?

what are you thoughts after reading this ? Koala T Diapers

it really scares me alot

Don't believe everything you see.
    Last edited by Poohbearboy; 03-Jul-2010 at 22:44.

GaashaHuzzah

This is kinda like saying you're afraid of eating a banana in a public setting over the fear you'll be hit by a monkey driving a semi.

So unlikely we should all just save the time typing it out and call it impossible.

Babies aren't developed, you are.

you know, I wouldnt believe everything you read on the net, real babies have torn open their diapers and eaten the diaper fluff and they were fine. not to mention if it was that much of a hazard like how mercury tooth fillings were back in the 70's-80's they would have fixed the problem, now you cant get a mercury filling anymore, and im sure you cant get cancer from wearing a diaper :P

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    you know, I wouldnt believe everything you read on the net, real babies have torn open their diapers and eaten the diaper fluff and they were fine. not to mention if it was that much of a hazard like how mercury tooth fillings were back in the 70's-80's they would have fixed the problem, now you cant get a mercury filling anymore, and im sure you cant get cancer from wearing a diaper :P
    You're sure you can't get cancer from wearing a diaper? You certainly have a lot of faith in industry not to sell dangerous products, and in government not to allow them to. Because there's no way you can still buy dangerous products, right? Right! That's why cigarettes are illegal, since they were scientifically proven to cause cancer decades ago, and that's why it is certainly illegal for parents to smoke in a house or car with their children. That's why food corporations no longer sell foods made with food dye, since some studies suggest it can cause cancer Food Coloring Can Cause Cancer, Hyperactivity in Kids | Strollerderby, even though it makes food more attractive to customers. And that's why you can't buy a Baby Walker anymore, since they have sent thousands upon thousands of babies to the emergency room and killed dozens more Considering a Baby Walker? Learn the Facts - iVillage.

Pardon my scarcasm, but seriously, if disposable diapers were truely dangerous, I don't think that would stop diaper companies from selling them or make them look into using safer materials. Profits would always come first. Furthermore, they have plenty of money to lobby the government into allowing dangerous diapers as well.

That said, I have my doubts that the "truth about disposables" is so true. Their claims seem very far-fetched, and I have not heard them elsewhere. Also, note that they do not cite any empirical studies to back up most of their claims. Obviously, painting disposable diapers as hazardous could boost their business, too. It all seems quite dubious to me, and I'm not going to worry about disposable diapers until I see some evidence that they're dangerous.

If you're really going to bring up cigarettes, you should mention the government-mandated warning on every package of cigarettes. The dangers of smoking are well publicized and known. On the topic of dyes, the government's reviewing claims about their safety. So it's not like the government isn't doing anything.
    I don't think anyone needs to worry about the safety of disposables. Even if the claims about baby diapers are true, as adults and teens we're more developed and resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by Yocky View Post
    You're sure you can't get cancer from wearing a diaper? You certainly have a lot of faith in industry not to sell dangerous products, and in government not to allow them to.
    Virtually everything is claimed to cause or increase the chances of getting cancer. The Daily Mail has an endless list of things that "cause" cancer and add to it everyday, lets face it if we banned all products that cause/increase the risks of getting cancer then there wouldn't be much left.

Besides there aren't any stats or studies to back up the claims and without them this article means less.

This is some blog-like posting on the website of a cloth diaper service - they aren't likely to be the world's most unbiased source. They don't cite any sources or studies for their various claims. Moreover, I haven't heard this story anywhere else, because, frankly, babies have not been developing high rates of cancer for the past few decades.

People would do well to be skeptical about what they read on the web short of it coming from a known credible source.

Error404

Nothing exactly "causes" cancer. We're all born with cancer cells in all of us, it just takes a certain trigger (Or LACK of!) to activate it.

The honest truth is that we don't genuinely know WHAT causes cancer, just that we see silly correlations and assume it as fact.

If I tore open my laptop battery and ate 5 grams of what was inside, I'd probably die too.

I'm also not surprised that eating 5 grams of polyacrylate could kill you regardless of whatever chemicals are in it, wouldn't it swell up inside your digestive system and cause intestinal blockage?