Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats in a Fetish?

Default Whats in a Fetish?

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Sorry if its been seen before, but i thought it was rather interesting how some people view fetishes. Though it doesn't specifically mention ours, i believe it still pertains to us.

BTW, my name is Brandon. I'm in the military, married, have a Kid and have been a DL since i was a kid.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon01 View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first post. Sorry if its been seen before, but i thought it was rather interesting how some people view fetishes. Though it doesn't specifically mention ours, i believe it still pertains to us.

BTW, my name is Brandon. I'm in the military, married, have a Kid and have been a DL since i was a kid.
    Hello there. My name is also Brandon. You may consider posting an introduction thread. I cant answer the question right now, as my mom just got home.

im an idiot i forgot to post the link,
    People With Fetishes Aroused by Everything From Feet to Sneezes - ABC News

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

and my apologies Cheetaluver, I meant to post that link up there. I didn't realize until i already turned off my computer.

Fetish has multiple meanings. When I want to know what it means I use a dictionary. Fetish | Define Fetish at Dictionary.com

The American Heritage Dictionary, definition two, is probably the one that most applies to me when it comes to diapers: An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence. Any attention given to diapers when you don't NEED them is "excessive", particularly when it plagues your mind constantly. That doesn't necessarily mean it is sexual. I'd say everyone on this site, apart from a few "friends of"s, has a diaper fetish if you include that definition.

The psychology behind what causes a fetish is pretty fascinating stuff. But I think it's safe to say, like many parts of human conscious and subconscious, it may be something we'll never fully understand.

As fetishists ourselves, we're in a unique spot to understand how our fetish formed. As far as I know, I was never sexually abused as a young kid, contrary to what the article says. I also didn't suddenly become aroused by diapers as soon as I hit 10. Me and diapers go way back, and I have memories of desiring them from when I was 3-4, even though back then I didn't know what a sexual desire was or felt like.

The part about the "distant during sex" part makes sense to me, though. Every fetishist is quite different in their levels of desire. For me, I'm pretty lucky in that mine's pretty mild and I could go my whole life without ever indulging in the fetish. Even though I'm sexually attracted to an inanimate object that I shouldn't be, I'm also sexually attracted to women. It's kind of just like a "bonus" to my normal sexual preferences. And I'm anything but distant during sex.

For some people, though, their fetish is over-powering and controls a lot of aspects of their day-to-day lives, to the point where they don't think rationally when they're focused on the object of desire. There was that man (also a member on this forum), who was arrested a short while ago for breaking into a family's house in search of used infant diapers. It was late at night, he saw the childrens' toys on the front lawn, entered the unlocked garage to search through the garbage. When he couldn't find any, he entered the house and searched in there also. I can't speak for him specifically, but there are fetishists out there who have no or almost no sexual attraction to any human being, male or female (I wouldn't call them asexuals either, because I think asexuals define themselves as having NO sexual feelings for anybody or anything), and are only sexually attracted to the object. That's a damn powerful fetish, and I'm glad I'm not like that. In cases like that, it's understandable they'd be distant during sex; it'd be like a gay man having sex with a woman.

And yeah, that's just a few thoughts I have.

Very insightful Chillhouse, and I completely agree. You have described me in the upper part of your own description. I was attracted to diapers at the same young age. If it was sexual, it was that young, almost infantile sexual stimulation. I don't recall being sexually molested. I was later by some older boys, but I held my own against them and they stopped, so it was more confusing than traumatic. Like you, I am attracted to people so diapers are also a bonus. I can't say as I could take them or leave them. Sooner or later, I must indulge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    I can't speak for him specifically, but there are fetishists out there who have no or almost no sexual attraction to any human being, male or female (I wouldn't call them asexuals either, because I think asexuals define themselves as having NO sexual feelings for anybody or anything), and are only sexually attracted to the object. That's a damn powerful fetish, and I'm glad I'm not like that. In cases like that, it's understandable they'd be distant during sex; it'd be like a gay man having sex with a woman.
    As someone who fits this description, I'd like to point out a few things:

1. The asexual community tends to consider the term as broadly applied to anyone without sexual attraction to other people. This includes sexual fetishists. The community takes such a broad definition because really, the basic issues and pressures with regards to social interactions in a highly sexualized society which someone with no sexual attraction and someone with attraction purely directed at fetishes (and someone with only romantic attraction and someone very low sex drive and many more) are rather similar.

This is to say that your basis for, "I wouldn't call them asexuals..." that, "I think asexuals define themselves as having NO sexual feelings for anybody or anything," is false. While the argument that there is a difference may have some intrinsic value, it is clearly not how asexuals define it.

2. "Powerful" is still a relative term. I made do without diapers quite well up until rather recently when I finally had my own place at college and had the privacy to indulge. I masturbated plenty, sure, but so far as I know, not excessively at all relative to other teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Fetish has multiple meanings. When I want to know what it means I use a dictionary. Fetish | Define Fetish at Dictionary.com

The American Heritage Dictionary, definition two, is probably the one that most applies to me when it comes to diapers: An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence. Any attention given to diapers when you don't NEED them is "excessive", particularly when it plagues your mind constantly. That doesn't necessarily mean it is sexual. I'd say everyone on this site, apart from a few "friends of"s, has a diaper fetish if you include that definition.
    I find that definition to be excessively broad, personally. Without fixation being an element, which is in my eye more extreme than unreasonably excessive attention, and most likely the element of euphoria/excitement, it's hard to say.

And, also, that still doesn't fit all people on this site, even the ones who might be classed as within the ABDL community. :p

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    1. The asexual community tends to consider the term as broadly applied to anyone without sexual attraction to other people. This includes sexual fetishists. The community takes such a broad definition because really, the basic issues and pressures with regards to social interactions in a highly sexualized society which someone with no sexual attraction and someone with attraction purely directed at fetishes (and someone with only romantic attraction and someone very low sex drive and many more) are rather similar.
    Eh. I guess that makes sense. Wikipedia says it's a lack of desire for sex, and if you're only sexually attracted to an inanimate object, then you probably don't want sex.

I've only met a few asexuals (like, 2), though, and that's what they told me they identified as.

Truthfullies

thanks for the interesting article link

I wonder, can you have a fetish for the word fetish? Just wondering, because every time I hear the word "Fetish" I get turned on...