Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobless Bill Goes down to defeat!

dprdinky

Default Jobless Bill Goes down to defeat!

Yes that is what happened today! Thanks in part to Republicans who believe that the tide is turning in their favor in this election year cycle!

I might not have any unemployment insurance after this week due to I'm one of those God forsaken people who are lazy ass'ed expecting a handout from my government. All the while our jobs are going overseas, our environment is being destroyed, and our countries moralities are sinking in the bottom of the ocean where the oil continues to spew out thousands of barrels a day!

I don't see any Republicans willing to compromise regarding any of the legislation coming out of congress the last 2 yrs.

I guess by now you know I'm not a Republican. I'm mad as hell! but don't know what to do. I had such high hopes for our present administration and his willingness to work and compromise, but I don't see any of that happening.

Where will it all end? When will Good prevail? I'm becoming more depressed by the day and feel like something horrible is about to happen soon, and very soon. It has nothing to do with the predictions of 2012, but just a lack of respect or willingness for justice to succeed.

Sadly the Republicans have become the party of NO. I lost my job 10 years ago, and I had to replace it with 2 jobs in order to make as much money. Now I'm making more than that, but everything has gotten a lot more expensive in those ten years. During the years of Bush and the Republicans, very little was done for the middle class. What a sad legacy.

I feel ya dude. I'm in Canada, and I've been out of work since the beginning of this year. I've got some serious qualifications, too. It looks like I'll be taking a job that is way too much work for way too little pay, but hey - a job's a job, right? But dogboy is right, the Republicans have decided that they aren't going to participate in anything. The health care reform they hate so much? It was originally their idea. Seriously, the health care reform bill that eventually got passed was virtually identical to several Republican proposals from the past 15 years, including one implemented by a Republican governor as a state-level reform. It doesn't matter what Obama proposes, the Republicans are opposing just because they can. Sadly, they're also able to make enough collective noise to scare several of the more right-leaning Democrats in to voting along with the 'Pubs. Obama's tried to work with them, but it's just not happening. There's a point where Obama needs to straight up tell the Republicans that enough is enough and make serious use of that majority he's got. That point was months ago. The Republicans wanna scream filibuster, make 'em actually do it.

...and so the Republicans continue to run up the record number of filibusters this session for blatantly political reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    ...and so the Republicans continue to run up the record number of filibusters this session for blatantly political reasons.
    Not good enough. I wanna see some doughy politician droning on for 40 straight hours about the nuances of blackjack and reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I want paramedics on standby for when they collapse due to dehydration. But most of all, I wanna see how many whiny right-wingers have the fortitude to actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Sadly the Republicans have become the party of NO. I lost my job 10 years ago, and I had to replace it with 2 jobs in order to make as much money. Now I'm making more than that, but everything has gotten a lot more expensive in those ten years. During the years of Bush and the Republicans, very little was done for the middle class. What a sad legacy.
    There is very little either party can do to improve the economy or your job situation. There are a lot of things they can do to make it worse, faster. Spending is at the heart of most of those things. Deficits, both trade and budget, will do us in if spending is not reined in, quickly.

The U.S is in decline, along with most of the West due in part to their own excesses in the form of government spending and regulation, and in part due to the inevitable rise of India and China, where wage rates and standards of living are only a fraction of what they are here. Their people are just as capable as we are, but they'll do the same thing for a lot less.

By saying NO, the Republicans can at least slow the decline a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    By saying NO, the Republicans can at least slow the decline a little.
    Just like they did with Bush, right?

Oh, wait.

Butterfly Mage

Yeah... the super-Christian GOP doesn't have a problem with mega-corporations getting blank checks for billion-dollar bailouts, but they'll vote to take a $75 grocery subsidy away from a working mom who makes $7/hour at Wal Mart.

I'm lucky that I have a job and I have no children. I would be terrified to be raising kids, given the economic and political instability. I have no doubt that the GOP will take the House and Senate in November 2010. My mind reels at the possibility of how much worse they will make things in America.

Actually Bush didn't do much to affect the decline, either way. Our current administration is going for actions that may or may not slow our decline for a year or two, but then make the economy decline at insane rates. The government needs to stop meddling with the economy if they want it to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbit View Post
    Actually Bush didn't do much to affect the decline, either way. Our current administration is going for actions that may or may not slow our decline for a year or two, but then make the economy decline at insane rates. The government needs to stop meddling with the economy if they want it to get better.
    If the government becomes totally hands-off about the economy we become an Adam Smith Capitalism. I'm not sure you realize exactly how much of a bad idea that is...

Without regulation, there would be no recompense, legal or otherwise, for incidents like the big Oil Spill. There would be no recompense for the recent mining disasters.

Look up "Triangle Textile Fire."

That is a symptom of underregulation. Sorry. It's a VERY bad thing. Yes, of course, there are cases where things are overregulated, and there are currently WAY too many government hand-outs, but prevention of monopolies, local or otherwise, and preservation of the rights of the worker (for example, to unionize) are key to an economy growing while also protecting the rights of the individual. Otherwise, what happens is the corporations effectively replacing the government, and nobody in their right mind should think of that as a good thing.

Keep in mind that the New Deal is very rightly credited with being a major factor on our getting out of the Great Depression, despite neoconservative whining to the contrary. In the right place, regulation and "interference" does a LOT of good.