Thread: CDs and other physical media

Default CDs and other physical media

I've noticed that as time goes on, things like CDs and such are starting to become "obsolete" to some people, because we can just download stuff now. Which, I can understand somewhat, because it saves on room if your music/videogames are stored within a system and not on disks. But at the same time, it's so much easier to lose, and you can't bring them over to a friends house or anything.
    I do like the convenience of things like Ipods, because I can store all my music in a little thing. But also, the majority of my music is actually from my CDs. I collect games and game soundtracks, so it just isn't the same having just files on a system rather than an actual disk that I can hold.

I was wondering what other people thought and felt about this subject, too.

Very much a fan of physical media, and am a very big on CDs or at least flash memory versions of anything I own. I was peeved, to say the least, when I bought Dawn of War II in store, to find out I had to have an internet connection to be able to download it, even though I paid for the title for a disk.

Also, unlike the companies selling them, I don't feel digital 'licensed' products are worth as much as physical 'owned' products. DRM is bad on all counts, and if I can buy a book or CD, I don't have to deal with the bull shit of the problem, thus making physical copies more valuable to me.

pamperchu

I love my heavy formats. laserdisc, CED, umatic, vinyl....

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/pamperchu/DSC05637.jpg

Can't stand shiny discs. They get lost or damaged too easily. Before I converted my DVD collection to a more portable format, my DVD rack was an entire bookshelf. Now I have a whole lot more media on a single fileserver, and I never have to hunt down discs that have mysteriously vanished. As for portability, in addition to my ipod and USB flash drives, I have enough storage space on my phone to carry a dozen movies.

Sometimes a collector's edition will come out with some really cool stuff that makes it worth the $80, but not often.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAura View Post
    I've noticed that as time goes on, things like CDs and such are starting to become "obsolete" to some people, because we can just download stuff now. Which, I can understand somewhat, because it saves on room if your music/videogames are stored within a system and not on disks. But at the same time, it's so much easier to lose, and you can't bring them over to a friends house or anything.
    I do like the convenience of things like Ipods, because I can store all my music in a little thing. But also, the majority of my music is actually from my CDs. I collect games and game soundtracks, so it just isn't the same having just files on a system rather than an actual disk that I can hold.

I was wondering what other people thought and felt about this subject, too.
    I have been thinking about this for the past 12 years. This has two prongs: cost and licensing.

Cost: I expect downloads to be available at a significant reduction in cost over the printed-box set. Be it a DVD, a CD (with glossy prints and a jewel case, or a game/program (with a glossy box, a case, and a glossy manual), there is significantly more cost per shipped unit with physical media. Even pressing CDs costs money and puts wear and tear on the machines. Hence, I would expect a download of a $40 game to be around $20. Upon downloading, I will burn a backup disc immediately (and then I have to go through my CDs every 5 years to figure out what is starting to show signs of bit-rot).

Licensing: When I buy something, I am either buying the intellectual property that is contained upon media, or the media itself. If I am buying the intellectual property, then if my CD gets bit-rot or snaps in two, I am owed another shot at downloading/acquiring the IP for a small sum to cover only the hassle that the IP-holder must go through to figure out that, yes, I do have a claim to the IP. Also, if I am buying the IP, then the tie cannot be made to media--e.g. if I am buying a license to use the IP, then it should be media-agnostic, meaning I can burn/copy it to another CD/DVD and play it from there. If I am buying the media itself when I buy a program/work, though, then I can install and use the CD/DVD wherever the media may go, and shrink-wrap EULAs limiting use via LM or other validation are silly.

The long and short of it: Producers don't get to have this both ways. Either I get Fair Use rights, which entitles me to make a backup copy, or I get to bother them to replace my software/performance when the media wears out or is otherwise damaged.

Whenever I have a choice, I generally opt to pick up physical copies of things.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    The long and short of it: Producers don't get to have this both ways. Either I get Fair Use rights, which entitles me to make a backup copy, or I get to bother them to replace my software/performance when the media wears out or is otherwise damaged.
    Said so much more eloquently than I.

I like my tapes (audio and video), but unfortunately, they are taking up too much space, and I am going to sell them at the flea market. I have a small collection of vinyl left, and never had that many CD's. But I am still a fan of physical media because there is so much material out there that is not or never will be converted.

Cave paintings, stone tablets, papyrus, printing press, wirerecorders, kinescopes, polaroid, LP's, 5 1/4 inch floppies, 3 1/2 inch floppies, reel-to-reel, cassette, DOS, Lotus, Betamax, 8mm videocassete, digital tape, CD, DVD

Its an ongoing issue. Every few years I've had to redo my archives to reflect currently available media and playback equipment. Tax and financial records, video of the kids, music collection..... Even the format of the data changes over time. Sometimes as the physical media changes, sometimes out of synch with it. Unfortunately, packrat that I am, I tend to keep the originals as well as the updated backup. I've only recently started culling some of the old paper records in favor of scans, and gotten rid of some of the floppies, since I no longer have a machine that can read them (although I do still have an operating Windows 98 machine, and a couple 5 1/4 drives on a shelf somewhere that I could probably cobble together.....)

I'm not sure I'll ever be 100% comfortable entrusting my personal life and records to some service provider out there in the ether. I'll have physical media archives as long as its possible to do so. Thus far I've avoided itunes and other on-line music providers totally, relying instead on rips of my CD's and conversions of my LP's and tapes from back in the day.