Thread: Respect in the Workplace

Default Respect in the Workplace

Straight forward question: Do you think it's acceptable to insult colleagues when they make honest mistakes? Would you stand for being called an 'idiot' or 'useless' by your peers and disregard it as a knee-jerk reaction or do you think it's not appropriate regardless of the circumstances?

Talking with my friends poor attitudes to workers by managers and supervises is especially common in retail jobs, is this something you think should just be expected from that kind of work?

Your thoughts please.

Butterfly Mage

I try to turn mistakes into learning opportunities. I have never ridiculed a coworker that makes mistakes but is trying to the job the right way.

For me, it depends on the situation. If someone just had a brain fart or something like that, I don't feel that a certain amount of ribbing inappropriate. In a situation where someone made an honest error that need correction, I'd pull them aside and have a word with them. Everyone makes mistakes, and no one wants to hear about it constantly. Any manager or supervisor who ridicules subordinates for an honest mistake? Well, those are the sorts of people I wouldn't like to work for, and don't tolerate working for me.

It shouldn't be acceptable anywhere but you'll find that certain work cultures go that way, particularly retail. It's where the inexperienced often meet those with inability to rise higher and stupidity naturally results. It can happen anywhere but the odds are higher of it being poorly done on the low end of things. I'll allow for an exception when life and limb are in jeopardy. Anyone can call me an idiot or whatever if I'm sticking a fork into an electrical socket but otherwise I'd like a little more professional behavior. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much to be done about it other than just get better jobs.

I do not think it is acceptable to call someone an idiot for making a mistake, yes we learn from our mistakes but you will learn more and feel better about yourself and others if it is just pointed out so you won't make the same mistake again hopefully.

I know working in a garage for years, guys like to have fun with the guy who screws up, but it is all done in fun, not at the expense of the guy in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Straight forward question: Do you think it's acceptable to insult colleagues when they make honest mistakes? Would you stand for being called an 'idiot' or 'useless' by your peers and disregard it as a knee-jerk reaction or do you think it's not appropriate regardless of the circumstances?

Talking with my friends poor attitudes to workers by managers and supervises is especially common in retail jobs, is this something you think should just be expected from that kind of work?

Your thoughts please.
    If it goes both ways, sure.

However, at my last full-time position, I was sexually harassed, exposed to unwelcome "observations" (steeped in 1940s psychology) of the sex differences between men and women, told I didn't know algebra (2 classes short of an undergraduate math major, thanks), told I likely couldn't make it to academia, as the mean IQ is 135 (I'm above that, thank you very much), and glared at whenever I left my chair to go to the bathroom.

During that time, I had sleep disturbances (exploding head syndrome) and actually wet the bed slightly on one occasion.

It was exceptionally stressful and a very demeaning and difficult time. I lost all focus and inertia in that time as well. Frankly, I hope for a painful death for my ex-boss. I'd like to see her waste away via ALS or esophageal cancer or the like.

My peers could not get away with that shit. Actually, my peers all knew that I knew *exactly* what I was doing, and we got on quite well. Same, too, with higher-ups outside of that office. But there was something about the office that was just fucked up. Oh, and I was paraded around and forced to model different colors of outfits. Very embarrassing when you have a poor self-image to start with. I left and tied up all the loose ends. Because, you know, I'm a professional. My boss was blown away at this, and one day I pretty much lost it, and told her, "you're an idiot and a horse's ass. This is what a PROFESSIONAL does, and though you may, in that clueless little head of yours, think otherwise, this is what I am. Bye."