Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McChrystal

Default McChrystal

The Runaway General | Rolling Stone Politics

I read the article. I don't understand the uproar, or why General McChrystal is being called on the carpet.

Let me ask you this: If you were a manager at McDonald's, and one of your employees makes jokes at your expense, and makes fun of you to your face, would you keep that employee around? I wouldn't. Gen McChrystal is in the Army. He does not have freedom of speech when it comes to policy set by the White House. He doesn't get to tell the world that he disagrees with the President. During the Korean War, Gen MacArthur did much the same thing to President Eisenhower. The President fired the General, and rightly so. If you can't trust your subordinates to keep their mouths shut once discussion time is over, then you can't trust them to carry out the orders you've given. That is not a good place for the Commander-in-Chief to be in, is it?

Sorry DC, not enough time to read your post but i will once i get home from my other job. Kind of wanted to reserve my space so to speak. Whether or not General McChrystal has a point or not, right or wrong what he did is still wrong and not becoming of an officer. In the military you have no right to freedom of speech, freedom of choice. You do what your told when your told to do it. By making this statement Gen. McChrystal violated the standards of conduct and should be removed from his position. Again this is not to say that he does or doesn't have a good point or that what he said was right or wrong just that the action that he took was and should be punished appropriately. I would like to post back on here hopefully tomorrow with my full take.

Any adult who refers to the French as "fucking gay" is awesome. I can't wait to buy Gen Mcrystal's inevitable book once it hits the shelves. We Americans need to develop a sense of humor, or we're fucked.

Basically, McChrystal has a history of pissing people off. Afghanistan is just as much about politics as it is about tactics, and then this guy does an interview where he mocked the civilian leadership. He made fun of his bosses in an interview with Rolling Stone.

But really, the big problem was that McChrystal showed poor judgement in letting a reporter follow him around so closely for so long, especially given that McChrystal didn't bother keeping his damn mouth shut about stuff he really shouldn't be saying to the press. So it wasn't that he antagonized the White House, it was that he antagonized the White House in a piece by Rolling Stone magazine.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok_still_rules View Post
    Any adult who refers to the French as "fucking gay" is awesome. I can't wait to buy Gen Mcrystal's inevitable book once it hits the shelves. We Americans need to develop a sense of humor, or we're fucked.
    Um... that's actually a huge problem. He was there trying to convince the French not to pull their troops out of Afghanistan. That is not the time for the leader of the NATO forces to be insulting the whole country.

Well, it's official, President Obama shitcanned General McChrystal. He absolutely did the right thing. I wouldn't tolerate an E-5 that talked that way about me publicly, and President Obama shouldn't have to tolerate it from his generals. They work for him, not the other way around.

BBC News - US Afghan commander Stanley McChrystal fired by Obama

Well, in answer to your question about why he is being sacked, Article 88 of the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) states...

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.” (emphasis mine)

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Gen McChrystal is in the Army. He does not have freedom of speech when it comes to policy set by the White House. He doesn't get to tell the world that he disagrees with the President.
    I agree with you to a point. He definitely shouldn't have discussed anything with the public regarding this matter. Any concerns he has when it comes to policy should be discussed in private with the President and other policy makers. I have to admit though, it is kind of refreshing to see a general as a soldier and not a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    During the Korean War, Gen MacArthur did much the same thing to President Eisenhower. The President fired the General, and rightly so. If you can't trust your subordinates to keep their mouths shut once discussion time is over, then you can't trust them to carry out the orders you've given.
    I am almost positive it was President Truman that removed MacArthur. >.<
    Regardless of how McCrystal may view his orders, he still is a soldier and can still be trusted to follow through as such.

Still, I can kind of see where you're going with this, but the thing is, this isn't the same kind of war. There really are no real routes for diplomacy. It's not like we can sign a cease-fire with the Tailaban. So, the thing is, if McCrystal is removed, how will that affect the war effort? Will his replacement be up to the challenge? What affects will be on overall morale? In his removal do the costs out weigh the benefits?

These are many questions that must be answered before even considering that McCrystal should step down.

I agree that is not a good this is not a good for a place for the President to be in. McCrystal is a amazing tactician, and is generally well respected by his troops. Though, sadly, he is also a loud mouth. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Coz View Post
    I have to admit though, it is kind of refreshing to see a general as a soldier and not a politician.
    There is that, but I can tell you from my experience with military personnel and discipline, if any solider said that kind of stuff about his CO in a newspaper article, said soldier would be running PT until said soldier puked up his spleen. In the Canadian military, they call it "constructive discipline". Basically, they identify something that you're not 100% on (there's always something) and make you repeat that action up to military specs until you want to blow your brains out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coz View Post
    I agree that is not a good this is not a good for a place for the President to be in.
    Let's be honest, Afghanistan is not a good place for anyone to be. But yeah, McChrystal put Obama in a tight spot by opening his damn fool mouth.

McChrystal may be popular with troops, and he might even be a good tactician. But a commander at his level shouldn't be involved in tactics, and even George B. McClelland was popular with the Army of the Potomac. Look how well they did under his command. Gen. McChrystal couldn't keep his mouth shut. He is lucky that the President is letting him resign his commission.