Thread: New computer?

Default New computer?

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

I think I've made my choice(depending it not being available when I order it.)
    Processor:Athlon II X4 at 2.8ghzUpgrade to 6core later time and reuse the 4core in a media center
    Ram: 4gb ddr3 1333 Upgrade to 6gb later
    PSU: 650W with 2 6+2 pin connect
    HDD: 1x 320 1x 160 upgrade to 4x1tb drives and 1 80gb 15000RPM one. :/
    GPU: 5770 bought at a later date Upgrade to 5870 when the price drops and then reuse it in a media ceter
    CD Drive: Freebe or IDE from a friend/Reuse IDE from some shit I have lying around.
    OS:win7 64 bit Upgraded to win7pro when I get a new computer mostly later :/
    MOBO: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO Upgraded to a Mobo that can crossfire with Sata connections.
    Case:cheap ATX med tower. Upgraded to a full tower with

450$ without GPU :<
    Last edited by FluffyFluffers; 19-Jun-2010 at 14:02.

Looks like quite a good rig for the price. Yeah sure I don't trust AMD/ATI as much as Intel or NVIDIA (bad experiences with both) but supposedly the new ATI cards are a bit better. I'll concede the point that if you gotta get a video card now, you may as well go for the one with SM 5.0 features. I still think it would be best to wait a generation and let the tech settle in, if you can wait.

If this is a gaming rig, what about sound card/speakers? I have an Audigy X-Fi, and it does make a considerable amount of difference while playing games or music.
    Last edited by LBcub; 20-Jun-2010 at 10:23.

Quote Originally Posted by LBcub View Post
    Looks like quite a good rig for the price. Yeah sure I don't trust AMD/ATI as much as Intel or NVIDIA (bad experiences with both) but supposedly the new ATI cards are a bit better. I'll concede the point that if you gotta get a video card now, you may as well go for the one with SM 5.0 features. I still think it would be best to wait a generation and let the tech settle in, if you can wait.

If this is a gaming rig, what about sound card/speakers? I have an Audigy X-Fi, and it does make a considerable amount of difference while playing games or music.
    I have it picked out already. And it's going to be for me to really do work on(school, Art, Music, writing, Video editing(minor) And streaming artwork on live stream) I'll probably do some minor gaming on it(l4d1/2 MWF2 WoW[not on max settings.]) But that factors more on you're graphics card and ram the CPU(So long as you got high enought clock and enough cores for the game.)

I personally think your i5 is just hype, LBcub. The problem is that the best i-motherboard would have been ~$150 more than the ASUS mobo, and the CPU was more expensive as well. I would have had to get less speed to afford it.

I don't think I mentioned the I-5, that was EpicPie. I also want to make sure that Valerye knows that having more cores =/= more speed absolutely, and are not a requirement for running certain games. If the program spawns more threads than there are cores, the scheduler will take over and put those threads on existing cores, no biggie. If you have more cores than there are threads, the extra cores are not used by that application, but still can be used to run background applications. Additionally, the application runs as slow as the slowest thread, so if the application developers didn't take into account the number of cores you have the extra horsepower may be sitting relatively unused.

Does anyone know if someone's benchmarked 6-core systems to see how many applications actually tax all 6 cores to eliminate performance problems?

thanks man that looks sick! i would love to have 825 bucks just laying around