Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coherency in religious beliefs (link to game/quiz)

Smile Coherency in religious beliefs (link to game/quiz)

There have been a handful of religion-based threads recently, and I've been surprised to see how many people here follow a religion of some kind.

The other threads have contained lots of lively debate (so hopefully no need to repeat all that here), but I've noticed that one fundamental issue that keeps cropping up is whether or not a particular belief-system is logically coherent.

There's a short online quiz/game called Battleground God that I thought some of you might be interested in seeing. Essentially you have to try to answer the questions without contradicting yourself. The (even shorter) game called Do-It-Yourself Deity allows you to confirm the logical plausibility of your understanding of God.

Alternatively if you'd like to side-step the sensitive subject of religion, there are some more games here that relate to morality, personal identity and other non-religious topics.

I was curious as to whether anyone would disagree (as Søren Kierkegaard did, apparently) with the need for religious beliefs to be coherent...

Anyway, hope you enjoy the games.

LilLillyKitten

I found Battleground God to be a bit presumptious and restrictive in it's progression, but I understand what it was getting at in those instances... Justifying one's beliefs and acting out on them when it involves other, non-consenting people are two different concepts. I dunno... maybe I'm just an idealist. 1 hit, 3 bullets bitten, or 4 bullets bitten when I took a different approach to one of the questions. =)

The Do-It-Yourself Deity test precludes transcendentalist pantheism, apparently. =P 0.2 Plausibility Quotient.

Mako

I'm going to guess TygerLily ran into a lot of issues of contradictions. It'll be interesting to see for Atheist vs. Theists stack up. I didn't run into any issues surrounding BattleGround God. I made no direct contradictions and bit one bullet that I require a higher level of evidence for God then I do of evolution. The explanation for that being that there is an overwhelming body of evidence for evolution and there's been consistently nothing for god. So grand claims require grand evidence.

Do-It-Yourself Deity was simple as I gave a pretty open and simple answer. The Creator, I don't require anything else to consider it God.

LilLillyKitten

No contradictions, really... just logic that some might find disturbing. =)

Good quiz none the less. ^.^

Butterfly Mage

On a scale of 0.0 to 1.0, the Goddess in the Religion of Wicca rates a 0.9. Cool

I got bored doing it. I kept having issues where I was defining what a "God" was, but not what I personally believe. My definition of a God contradicts itself which is WHY I don't believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    I got bored doing it. I kept having issues where I was defining what a "God" was, but not what I personally believe. My definition of a God contradicts itself which is WHY I don't believe in it.
    Yeah, I had the same problem. Asking hypothetical questions about properties possessed by a being I don't believe exists seems kinda... masturbatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Ha ha - I sympathise with you there! If you don't believe in god, it's a bit unrealistic to be forced to make up a belief system on the spot and for it to be fully coherent. The only way to do it is to think of what god could coherently mean in advance so you don't end up answering with what you think a theist would say.

Whilst I do not believe in the Christian god, I could not say that I do not believe any god at until I have some kind of definition of what god is (or could be). If the word "god" is to make any sense at all, I take it to refer to the complete definition of the universe and life-force. So god is all matter/energy across all of time and space; god is the complete set of physical laws that are not mere approximate models of the universe (as most of our current laws are), but the grand-unified-theory-of-everything version that precisely defines what the universe (or multiverse) is. Except... even those laws are just descriptions of what is. God isn't a description of what is; god *is* what is... if that makes sense. Although it's easier to say that god is a definition.

As such, I don't see any kind of freewill, benevolence or omnipotence in god. Whether this god is omniscient is a question of semantics... does a god that is everything *know* everything. I suppose that cognition is required for knowledge, so a god that is not an anthropomorphic being could not know anything.

As for being "the creator", I don't think existence was created, I think it just *is*. If the definition of god encompasses the definition of space-time then god cannot change, therefore god could not create itself.

I suppose my conception of god is based on a kind of monism as described by these Wikipedia pages:

Monism
    Monad (Greek philosophy)
    Monad (gnosticism)

This way of thinking seems to have cropped up many times and across many ages. I can't help feeling that this is because human psychology has a kind of predisposition towards religion/spirituality, whether it manifests itself as hard rationalism (where god is nothing but a definition) or as an emotional guide (where god has absolute qualities that humans admire or aspire to).

Anyway, this is how I answered the quiz/game thingies myself if anyone is interested:

Battleground God:

Do-It-Yourself Deity:

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    The Do-It-Yourself Deity test precludes transcendentalist pantheism, apparently. =P 0.2 Plausibility Quotient.
    I would have thought that pantheism (which means "god is everything", right?) would also be similar to my understanding of god. What does the "trancedentalist" bit mean? Is it a spiritual belief about how your existence can trancend your individuality and become part of "the one"?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    On a scale of 0.0 to 1.0, the Goddess in the Religion of Wicca rates a 0.9. Cool
    Hey, that is pretty cool! What criteria do you ascribe to "the Goddess"? Would I be right in thinking that she is a bit like Mother Nature and vaguely similar to my monist definition of god?

Well in Battleground God I only bit one bullet over the idea that it is justifiable to base one's beliefs about the external world on a firm, inner conviction, regardless of the external evidence, or lack of it, for the truth or falsity this conviction.
    In do-it-yourself deity I got a .9.
    I'm very religious Roman Catholic, and have a strong background in theology and philosophy, so I found the tests kinda fun.

Great thread tiny!!!

LilLillyKitten

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I would have thought that pantheism (which means "god is everything", right?) would also be similar to my understanding of god. What does the "trancedentalist" bit mean? Is it a spiritual belief about how your existence can trancend your individuality and become part of "the one"?
    Transcendentalism focuses on the idea that the ultimate reality of our existence transcends what we perceive to be the reality of our existence. Therefore, it can be quite abstract when it comes to logic.

It's the same reason I had to revisit a question on the Battlefield God quiz; I actually misunderstood the question and realized that I had to change my answer for it to be in line with my understanding of the world around me. =)

I believe that everything happens for a reason; even the "bad" stuff.