Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: australia

Default australia

So I'm heading to Australia in a year, and my papa has been getting me worried about jumping ants and box jellyfish. Am I going to die? :-( is there anything I need to worry about? :-(

I think we're going to when the jellies aren't around in big numbers, and I'm not super worried about ants killing me... but is there a real danger? is there a lot of deaths every year? Australia hosts some of the deadliest creatures and I dun wanna die. :-\

Save me from one of my few misconceptions please!

Quote Originally Posted by handfulofoats View Post
    So I'm heading to Australia in a year, and my papa has been getting me worried about jumping ants and box jellyfish. Am I going to die? :-( is there anything I need to worry about? :-(

I think we're going to when the jellies aren't around in big numbers, and I'm not super worried about ants killing me... but is there a real danger? is there a lot of deaths every year? Australia hosts some of the deadliest creatures and I dun wanna die. :-\

Save me from one of my few misconceptions please!
    Look out for redback spiders. the sneaky bastards like to wait in ambush under the toilet seats and will bite your ass. the next thing you know, you'll be on an ambulance, dying in pain.

Then there's the drop bears. *shudder*

Seriously though, all that "deadliest animals on earth" stuff is bullcrap. The beaches are perfectly safe aside from the 2 unlucky people per day that might get stung by a bluebottle, and the only way for you to get mauled by a crocodile is to go into the outback and start splashing around in a creek.

Seriously, you'll be perfectly fine. all of our dangerous animals are either in confinement in a zoo, or in the most out of reach shit-hole areas that no-one would ever want to travel to. You'll be perfectly safe.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_02/kangaroo_468x351.jpg
    OH SWEET JESUS GOD, STAY OUT OF THE GODDAMN WATER!!!!111

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Kraiden View Post
    Then there's the drop bears. *shudder*
    Drop Bears are the ONLY thing you need to watch out for. What they can do to you is so... horrific.

If at the beach, be mindful of box jellyfish, blue-ringed octopus, irukandji, sharks, poisonous stone-fish, not to mention rip-tides, undercurrents and the ever present danger of drowning or being swept out to sea.

Aside from that:

~ Be on the lookout for the spiders under your chair, in your shoes, on the ground... in fact, anywhere really.
    ~ Be careful of the countless species of snakes that can kill you.
    ~ The poisonous barbs on emu's and platypus'.
    ~ Don't pet koala's, they can get incredibly aggravated and will shred you with their claws.
    ~ Kangaroos aren't exactly cuddly... trust me.

If you can't remember all of this, then just remember this One Golden Rule: If it can move, it can probably kill you.

~~~

Okay, whilst what I said above is, to a certain degree, accurate, rest assured the chance of anything bad happening to you is very low.

Beaches are incredibly safe, and with Surf Lifesavers patrolling all the major areas, help and rescue is never far away. If you do go to the beach, always remember to swim between the red and yellow flag. Surf Lifesavers mark out an area on the beach everyday, and that area is usually the safest. If you are out swimming and come into a bit of strife, just raise your arm as high as possible and they'll come get you. A lot of drownings on our beaches are because misinformed tourists swim in unpatrolled areas and fail to recognise potential dangers - therefore, they get themselves into trouble but no one can see them to call for help. If you don't swim between the red and yellow flags, no one can see you and it could end up very bad.

All deadly animals here will not harm you unless they feel provoked. Basically, just don't touch it if you don't know what it is, or don't touch it if you know it can harm you. Again, the chance of anything happening to you is unbelievably low. I mean, I've lived here all my life and the worst I've had is a bee-sting. If anything did happen, practically all the hospitals carry anti-venoms. If you get stung by something at the beach, the Surf Lifesavers are trained to deal with all possible situations. But as Kraiden pointed out, most of our deadly stuff is confined to zoos, or out in the middle of the desert somewhere - places where I doubt you will be travelling to.

If you do travel around, people here are generally friendly and willing to help. Most of the time, you'll get much more information asking a local than reading a tourist guide. So if in doubt, just ask! Also, you'll find that once they find out you are a foreigner, expect people to strike up a conversation with you. Actually, random strangers will start a conversation with you, regardless. So be prepared!

That's about it. I can't stress enough that the chance of anything bad happening is so low, you'll probably be a little disappointed that absolutely nothing happened to you. All this "deadly creature - instant death" talk is all just hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    ~ The poisonous barbs on emu's and platypus'.
    Playpus' stings are apparently the worst things any human being can have happen to them. The poison actually affects the nerves of your body, making you feel the worst pain in existance. Don't expect morphine to help you, because it can't.

Platypus spurrings of people are rare, but the select group who have survived the trauma (often fishermen trying to free irate monotremes from their nets) report pain strong enough to induce vomiting which can persist for days, weeks or even months. The pain is resistant to morphine and other pain-killing drugs and anaesthesia of the main nerve from the spur site is often the only way to relieve the patient's suffering.
    ... we're not exactly helping you out, are we?

~ Kangaroos aren't exactly cuddly... trust me.
    I'm cuddly! *Shows off by balancing on his tail*

Quote Originally Posted by Kraiden View Post
    Look out for redback spiders. the sneaky bastards like to wait in ambush under the toilet seats and will bite your ass. the next thing you know, you'll be on an ambulance, dying in pain.
    w00t?! O.o

irukandji,
    Is that a typo? :S

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreMickal View Post
    Is that a typo? :S
    Irukandji, an Aboriginal word - named after the local people of the area - pronouced "Eee-Roo-Kahn-Jee".

Much like what Kraiden was saying with the platypus before... do not get stung by one of these things! The pain is so intense and it can last for a long time!

More on the Irukandji Jellyfish

What this lil'bugger can do to you!

It gives you incredible lower back pain that you would think of as similar to an electric drill drilling into your back. It gives you relentless nausea and vomiting; how does vomiting every minute to two minutes for up to 12 hours sound, incredible. It gives waves of full bodied cramps, profuse sweating, the nurses have to wring out the bed sheets every 15 minutes; it gives you very, very difficulty in breathing where you just feel like you can't catch your breath. It gives you these weird muscular restlessness so you can't stop moving but every time you move it hurts.
    Of course, you could just search "Irukandji Sting" on YouTube and see it for yourself.

Edit: Actually found This Site. It has a lot of videos of various dangerous sea animals. Very informative.

OUCH! That doesn't sound like fun.

But honestly handsfulofoats you're in no real danger, otherwise your dad would tell these things in a different way, I believe he's just joking around with you now.

Australia isn't full of spiders and jellyfish. We also have snakes, scorpions, horses, cockroaches, killer cows, stingrays, dark, and people.

There isn't anything to worry about, if you do get stung by a jellyfish (which can only happen if you stand on them as they can't move), spray some vinegar and water solution on the area.

If you are concerned on the beach, just read the signs or ask the life guards, they won't bite. But most importantly - stick between the flags and don't go near an unpatrolled beach.

Also, I have never seen a jumping ant, but I've seen ones that fly.

Don't worry! If you are concerned about something in particular, just ask around or check online.

By the way, where will you be staying? ;-)

I went to Australia a few years bk it was so fun I got to pet kangaroos and a kuala tryed to eat my hair =S but it was alot of fun I saw some sort of mice that hoped around like tiny kangaroos LOL but all the danguous animals are in "the out back" I dout thay will get to ya

People live there, so it can't be that bad.

That being said, a dingo might eat your baby.