Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of control teens

Default Out of control teens

I am wondering how adults here (and mature teens) handle situations with teenagers who seem to be ever more out of control these days?

There always seem to be teens and groups of teens just walking around yelling crap at people, especially older people. The other day I was carrying stuff inside from my car, when a group walking past started yelling crap at me, yelling "f**king queer" among other things. Today I seen a teenager yell at a small kid "shut the F**k up" (kid was probably around 4).
    This sort of stuff happens everyday around here, and seems like a common trend in the US.
    I really wanted to put my fist in the face of these kids, but obviously resist the urge (or I would be in jail instead of here typing this)

How do you (or would you) handle this?

Well, now, this seems like a title for a "supernanny" episode, eh? Honestly, I have hardly ever seen anyone this abruptly rude to complete strangers. (Just once, but these kids were the same age as I and were just looking for a fight...) Granted, I've gone to school with people who've been blatantly disruptive toward authority, but certainly not without cause (Their reasons for being disruptive were pathetic, like a teacher would ask them to take off a hat, and they would start being rude and whatnot, but they never spoke out randomly for no reason). Also, I don't really think it's just "teens" that are out of control. There are plenty of adults who handle themselves less than cordially. Frankly, I just ignore it. Retaliating in any way would most likely result in conflict, so I just remind myself that I am less idiotic than them, and go on my way.

GaashaHuzzah

I be the better man and turn the other cheek.

Then as soon as they're out of earshot, I tell everyone they have a small penis.

I live near a large group of said out of control kids. Fortunately the police have upped their patrols. ;-)

I deal with this at my place of employment. If the parents aren't near their child then I'll just cross my arms and scowl at them. I'm intimidating
    With my own kids I have instilled in them the ability to act like an adult and taught them to be mature and respectful so no issues there.

The parents aren't around to raise their own kids.

I know I might get flamed for this but I don't care...

I carry a firearm for personal protection and have been known to open carry in public. I don't carry it to intimidate other people, but I just find when I go into fast food places with groups of teenagers in there, they quiet down and talk amongst themselves. I mainly open carry on occasion (depending where I go) as a way to educate people and its more comfortable than carrying concealed. I've been asked if I was a cop which I politely tell them no and more often than not they want to know more information.

It brings up the quote

"An armed society is a polite society."

Again don't take this the wrong way, I'm not out to intimidate people and thankfully I live in a state where the majority of the population owns guns.

I didn't mean to throw this thread off topic but I just find that people tend to be on their best behavior when a police officer or an obviously armed citizen is present.

I honestly don't understand, being in that fase of live myself, why some teens do things like that. In the Netherlands there are also groups of teens that do stuff like this, and I have no idea why they have no respect to other people, other people's belongings and refuse to communicate with other people in a civilized way. I do understand there might be problems between generations in how they communicate between each other, but still I think that this behaviour is not normal.
    The only thing I can think of that may be the cause of this is the well-known primitve alpha-male behaviour. These teens aren't secure about themself, and are therefore trying to show off to there friends by acting in a manner like this.

The one thing I think people have to do, is not react angry or agressively on this behaviour. If you do that, you only drive them away from communicating with them on a normal level.

Hmm...it does sound like they could use a fist to the face, but like you said, that response would be impractical given the repercussions associated with that said punch.

Depending on the situation, you can try talking to them and see if they'll at least listen to reason and ask them straight up as to why they are acting so obnoxious. If you do decide to confront them in a manner such as this, just be prepared for a multitude responses that said teen or group of teens will throw back your way.

Honestly, if they are not your kids, there is not a whole lot you can do. Most teenagers should grow out this type of rebellious behavior... so all you can really hope for is to be patient and avoid as much of there nonsense as possible.

If you know them to some extent, you could always go to their parents expressing your concerns. Or, if their presence is raising a real public nuisance, the police could hit them with any number of citations. Otherwise, like I said, there isn't much you can do and you'll just have to wait it out.

So, basically, you're fucked. Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance on this.

You people are overreacting. My dad makes today's teens look like fruits. He was out driving with his buddy, they were around twelve or thirteen years old, as they pass a mother with two young children the guy stops and my dad leans out the window and shoots the kid, around four, in the ass with a BB gun. The kid starts to cry and the mother hits him for whining for no reason. My dad thought it was hilarious. To be fair, he was pretty high at the time. This was 30+ years ago. Stuff like that was an every day occurrence for him. He used to drive his drunk father home when he was twelve. One time, he was in grade 4 I think, he was walking through a field between two apartments and another kid beat him with a brick. Why? Their apartment building won the weekly fight for the field and had claimed it until the next week's fight. Do you think this could happen nowadays without some big media thing about it? The problem isn't kids are more out of control, it's just talked about more.
    Last edited by Zephy; 18-Jun-2010 at 01:31. Reason: Because Yoh's an ass

Olivia

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    You people are overreacting. My dad makes today's teens look like fruits. He was out driving with his buddy, they were around twelve or thirteen years old, as they pass a mother with two young children the guy stops and my dad leans out the window and shoots the kid, around four, in the ass with a BB gun. The kid starts to cry and the mother hits him for whining for no reason. My dad thought it was hilarious. To be fair, he was pretty high at the time. This was 30+ years ago. Stuff like that was an every day occurrence for him. He used to drive his drunk father home when he was twelve. One time, he was in grade 4 I think, he was walking through a field between two apartments and another kid beat him with a brick. Why? Their apartment building won the weekly fight for the field and had claimed it until the next week's fight. Do you think this could happen nowadays without some big media thing about it? The problem isn't kids are more out of control, it's just talked about more.
    Fixed :3

Anyways they wouldn't pull this shit around family they're all talk no game really.