Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hitting Children in Public

Default Hitting Children in Public

Today, I was on the city bus on my way home from school. All was usual, tons of teenage girls and their strollers. On my last bus, there was a woman with her two and a half year old son (she said his age out loud). He was whining like a baby and she told him to stop. He continued annoying her so she took away his Powerade (that was my first hint of bad parenting, two year old do not require energy drinks). Then when he persisted, and interrupted her cellphone call ohh the tragedy , she hit him. Right out in public! And then, this was what disturbed me the most, he laughed and called her a bitch. A two year old! She got off the bus two stops before me and the bus driver informed us that he'd be calling Social Services on her.
    What is your opinion on this situation?

GaashaHuzzah

Hitting children is bad, mm'kay.

But seriously, she's a dumb twat and I'm glad someone called her (quite literally) on it.

As per your title- I don't think hitting children in private is much better. :P

Butterfly Mage

This sounds like a parent unfit to raise children. I've called social services on parent that hit their kids in public (really hit them, not a swat on the rear end). It doesn't seem like Child Protective Services does a hell of a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    As per your title- I don't think hitting children in private is much better. :P
    Obviously this kid cannot be disciplined easily, but it seems to be her fault. When I saw it I started thinking though...if you were out in public or at home and your kid swears at you, how would you discipline him/her, if words and taking things away aren't working?

But what if you use a sack of oranges and don't leave any bruises? Then who knows the difference?

But in all seriousness, I agree obviously hitting children in an attempt to teach them right from wrong only teaches them wrong.

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilynn View Post
    Obviously this kid cannot be disciplined easily, but it seems to be her fault. When I saw it I started thinking though...if you were out in public or at home and your kid swears at you, how would you discipline him/her, if words and taking things away aren't working?
    Give them a round or two with a sackful of Valencias?

If removing physical possessions doesn't work, take away their intangible ones, like rights and freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    If removing physical possessions doesn't work, take away their intangible ones, like rights and freedoms.
    That didn't even work for this particular mother, she tried that. Obviously she should not be raising a child, I do not oppose to that, but if I was in her shoes, I would be lost. Her child was quite evil. He laughed at being told he'd go to bed as soon as they got home.

I've seen parents strike their children. It sends chills down my spine. Don't like thinking about it. I can't stand to see anyone (except boxing and MMA matches), especially children, getting hurt.

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilynn View Post
    That didn't even work for this particular mother, she tried that. Obviously she should not be raising a child, I do not oppose to that, but if I was in her shoes, I would be lost. Her child was quite evil. He laughed at being told he'd go to bed as soon as they got home.
    But like you said, he had something he shouldn't have had in the first place

Unless you'd raise your kid exactly the way that mother raised hers, you probably wouldn't be in the same scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    This sounds like a parent unfit to raise children. I've called social services on parent that hit their kids in public (really hit them, not a swat on the rear end). It doesn't seem like Child Protective Services does a hell of a lot.
    Social services doesn't do a lot about that king of thing. Trust me I had an experience with the morons not too long ago.

As for that women she obviously isn't a very good mother in the first place. If she was her kid wouldn't be cussing at two. It doesn't really matter though hitting a kid (excluding swats on the rear) is wrong no matter what.