Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Documentaries

Default Documentaries

Hello ADISC

I for one love documentaries! documentaries i find can be really interesting, but some others can be a dud :P

i just watched the skateboarding brand Element's documentary and was intrigued of the way one man had created this empire that does so much for the community. that documentary kinda got me inspired and motivated!
    heres a link :YouTube - MAKE IT COUNT - CHAPTER 1 "WIND"

some of the other documentaries i have loved include

TV Junkie: . Tv Junkie was really good! it was disturbing to see how a drug affected him and the graphic scenes in the movie made my eyes never leave the screen.

Michael Moores: Sicko, Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 911, the Awful Truth. All of Moores stuff i have liked.... even though its heavily biased.

An Inconvenient Truth: this opened my eyes to the pollution in the world, i was shocked and amazed by Al Gore's Presentation.

Intervention: although its a TV show, intervention still gets to me every episode! i shudder at the thought of using hard drugs.

What docos do you like?

snaps

I am a big fan of Adam Curtis' documentaries. They're very interesting if you're interested in History, Psychology, Economics, and Politics (obviously not everyone will be!). Most of his documentaries are available for free download from the Internet Archive.

i haven't hear much of his work, ill look him up

i also like Louis Theroux's stuff too! he is quite funny, but drive his points across brilliantly

If you like documentaries so much then you must watch

This Is Spinal Tap

Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine is a personal favourite but I love Louis Theroux so much, he picks really interesting topics like the Westboro Baptist Church or The City Addicted to Crystal Meth (Fresno, California if I remeber correctly). I get really excited when I see a new one listed in the TV guide. David Attenborough's recent series, Life, really amazed me. Some of the footage in there was mind blowing and he has a fantastic voice, it really suits a documentary.

Morgan Spurlock has some light hearted work. I also like Bill Maher's Religulous and pretty much any documentary about hemp such as Grass, Emperor of Hemp, Super High Me, and, of course, The US vs Marc Emery.

I can't believe I forgot about Super Size Me. Really highlights the damage you can do to your body with a poor diet, fantastic documentary right there.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine is a personal favourite but I love Louis Theroux so much, he picks really interesting topics like the Westboro Baptist Church or The City Addicted to Crystal Meth (Fresno, California if I remeber correctly). I get really excited when I see a new one listed in the TV guide. David Attenborough's recent series, Life, really amazed me. Some of the footage in there was mind blowing and he has a fantastic voice, it really suits a documentary.
    If you liked that documentary about the Westboro baptistchurch(thanks for recommending that one, I havent seen it actually so will try and do that someday, whats the name of it? ) Well if you liked it you will probably also enjoy Jesus Camp, its not by Louis Theroux but its a really good documentary, its really horrible like they are actually abusing the children making them cry and feel regret because they have sinned.I think its very important to watch it, especially for the American members on this site!

and if you liked the meth documentary( I personally didnt enjoy it so much) I can recommend a whole bunch of documentaries about drugs I have seen :P , some you could check out is The Oxycotton Express, that one is pretty much like the meth one but with oxy instead, or Explorer Inside, its a National Geographic documentary about acid, very informative!

I have seen alot of documentaries about all kinds of different subjects, but I must say my favorite ones over all is probably The American Drug War, The Last White Hope & How Weed Won The West, both by the same director! it's not just because its a personal intresse but it really shows you like how effed up the drug policies are!
    another good documentary which is worth a mention is Capturing the Friedmans, about an old childmolesting chase which is like, really wierd. like they falsely accused a family dad and his son, or well its wierd, I think the dad was somewhat guilty but the police really made the kids like lie or something about it, took place in like the 70's or 80's and there was alot of modern witch hunts on pedophiles at that time I think... its hard to explain it but you should check it out!

Chillhouse you should definitly watch How Weed Won The West if you liked all those documentaries, funny thing did you know on Super High Me Doug like never got really high? xD

There is a documentary I have been trying to find, I have seen one store which sold it, unfortunately it was not in my home town(like a 4 hour drive to the city) and really expensive so I did not buy it, its called Bling a planet rock & is about like Blood Diamonds and the hiphop community, here is the trailer for it YouTube - Bling: A Planet Rock

have anyone of you seen it? what did you think of it, can you help me get it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    An Inconvenient Truth: this opened my eyes to the pollution in the world, i was shocked and amazed by Al Gore's Presentation.
    I counter your documentary with one of my own!

Yes, penn is biased and most likely doesn't like al gore. But you seemingly have no problem with people being biased anyhow (Michael Moore).

Also I loved Super Size Me, the first time I watched it I was still in school I avoided my normal fast food and went straight in for Mc Donaolds, ordered a 6 piece chicken McNugget meal Supersized with mr.pibb. Why did I do this? To support McDonaolds.. if someone wants to go and eat "shit" then I'll gladly support it. Plus I realized this well made movie was going to change the portion sizes there.

that said.. wendy's has better chicken nuggets, and jack in the box and carls jr and burger all have better burgers. McDonlad's fries are a farcry of what they used to be.

Here in the Pittsburgh area, we have a guy named Rick Sebak who does a lot of nostalgic local interest documentaries. I have a few of his shows on VHS, and one on DVD which he gave to me and signed at an event earlier this year. His style of narration has been copied all over the US, and his next documentary is going to be a somewhat national show about breakfast.