Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gays in professional sports.

Default Gays in professional sports.

I realize this is yet another topic about homosexuality, but it has recently come up in Australian media. A famous footballer, by the name of Jason Akermanis has said that effectively, Australian Rules Football is not ready for gay men.

When he said it, from my understanding he wasn't talking about on field performance or anything like that, but rather the large number of and I quote "Homoerotic things" that go on around a football club. Things like 18 blokes showering together and slapping each other on the butt.

Now, I'm all for gay rights in every field, and I don't believe they should be forced to be in the closet or disallowed to play football, but I personally don't think it's acceptable to expect a straight man to shower with a gay man. How would that be any different to expecting a woman to shower with a man? And I don't believe it's an issue based solely around anatomy. The segregation of men and women is surely because of the feelings that the anatomy arouses.

So yeah, I'm wondering what the gay community around Adisc thinks about this? There are some quite level headed people amongst you, so I figure Ill get some well reasoned arguments, rather than the "It's a non issue" that's being portrayed by the media.

I think gay's definitely should be allowed to play professional sports.
    I believe not letting them into the military or sports is downplaying their masculinity just because they're homosexual, or as the straight army men and athletes call em "Nancy boys"
    Just because you're in a locker room with a gay man doesn't mean he's going to be rubbing up against everyone, Hell in high school we all showered with at least one homosexual and didn't know it.
    I just really don't see this as being about a matter of arousal, seriously this is about keeping "queers" out of "manly activity"

Quote Originally Posted by MyLastWords View Post
    When he said it, from my understanding he wasn't talking about on field performance or anything like that, but rather the large number of and I quote "Homoerotic things" that go on around a football club. Things like 18 blokes showering together and slapping each other on the butt.

Now, I'm all for gay rights in every field, and I don't believe they should be forced to be in the closet or disallowed to play football, but I personally don't think it's acceptable to expect a straight man to shower with a gay man. How would that be any different to expecting a woman to shower with a man? And I don't believe it's an issue based solely around anatomy. The segregation of men and women is surely because of the feelings that the anatomy arouses.

So yeah, I'm wondering what the gay community around Adisc thinks about this? There are some quite level headed people amongst you, so I figure Ill get some well reasoned arguments, rather than the "It's a non issue" that's being portrayed by the media.
    Why should showering in the same shower room, without touching each other, be forbidden, when players are allowed to smack each other on the ass? Presumably a gay man smacked on the ass would feel even more uncomfortable with it. I'm not really sure this is an issue. The fact that someone likes men doesn't mean he likes all men. People share showers with gay men all the time in other sports, in high school, in the military. If people don't want to be out, would you force them to do so just so no one else questioned whether they were showering with a gay man?

(A Welsh rugby player came out just recently, and for the most part got tremendous support. So it seems some professional sports are ready for openly gay men.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
    Why should showering in the same shower room, without touching each other, be forbidden, when players are allowed to smack each other on the ass? Presumably a gay man smacked on the ass would feel even more uncomfortable with it. I'm not really sure this is an issue. The fact that someone likes men doesn't mean he likes all men. People share showers with gay men all the time in other sports, in high school, in the military. If people don't want to be out, would you force them to do so just so no one else questioned whether they were showering with a gay man?

(A Welsh rugby player came out just recently, and for the most part got tremendous support. So it seems some professional sports are ready for openly gay men.)
    Exactly, this whole issue is only about homophobia. They try to come up with other reasons but homophobic macho ideology is all it really boils down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
    Why should showering in the same shower room, without touching each other, be forbidden, when players are allowed to smack each other on the ass? Presumably a gay man smacked on the ass would feel even more uncomfortable with it.

I'm not really sure this is an issue. The fact that someone likes men doesn't mean he likes all men. People share showers with gay men all the time in other sports, in high school, in the military. If people don't want to be out, would you force them to do so just so no one else questioned whether they were showering with a gay man?

Perhaps a gay man would be more uncomfortable with being smacked on the ass. And perhaps people have showered with gay men in the past. But there is a difference between knowing and not knowing. I'm aware that the fact a person likes men doesn't mean he likes all men, but that is really besides the point. I don't like all women, but I'm not allowed to shower with them.

I guess the point I'm getting at, is what about a heterosexuals rights? I would argue that straight men have a right to be uncomfortable with the idea. Ill put my hand up and say that I would be.

And no I wouldn't force someone to come out if they don't want to. Because what people don't know can't hurt them so to speak. This is not just an issue of homophobia. As far as I'm concerned It's about pandering to minority groups with their noses out of joint without thinking about the circumstances surrounding an issue.

Unless you're sleeping with another member of the team, how would anyone know?

Also the closet can be a lifelong struggle there could very well be many gay professional athletes no one knows about, so what happens when they're discovered to be gay?
    Kicking them off the team would be fucked up.
    This whole thing is fucked up and just fucking wrong and really god damn stupid, that's okay though I don't expect much intelligence from sports anyway.

LilLillyKitten

What if one of the team members is... say, in the closet? What'll happen if he comes out?

Jesus H Christ guys. did NONE of you read the original post? I was NEVER suggesting they be kicked off the team. All idiots like Crazybunny are doing is buying into the typical bloody hysteria surrounding the issue. I was merely raising what I believe is a fair point and asking for opinions.

As far as I can see, there should be no problem with the gay player being on the team or anything like that, rather that perhaps teams should go to either separate showers, or individual ones. I was just trying to say that I reckon both sides of these cases need to be considered. Fuck, I didn't think my original post was that vague.

I'm completely straight, and would generally feel a bit uncomfortable showing off my naked body in the changing rooms. But I really couldn't care less whether the people I'm getting changed with are gay or straight men. Suggesting that it's indecent because gays might commit "thought crimes" just doesn't seem fair if the gay people aren't doing anything to make the straight people feel uncomfortable.