Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suicide - What to Do?

Default Suicide - What to Do?

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about suicide (not for myself, just in general) and what an awful waste it is. I've come to realize that as a community, ADISC is probably at a higher risk for suicide than other people. We face various and difficult types of stressors, ranging from internal acceptance issues, to getting caught, to having to come out to parents about whatever it is that makes us "us". To that end, I'd like to take some time and explain what to do if you, or someone you love or care about is contemplating suicide.

How to identify someone is contemplating suicide:
    The American Association of Suicideology teaches an acronym to help remember the signs of a suicidal person. It's kind of silly, but it's an excellent mnemonic.

IS PATH WARM

Ideation
    : A suicidal person may speak of suicide as "a way out" or that it is somehow better than living. This is probably the most extreme example of a sign, and all ideations should be taken with the utmost seriousness.

Substance Use: The person may start using alcohol or drugs more heavily than normal. As with any sudden change in behavior, there is a reason behind it, and friends should always inquire after a person who shows such a change.

Purposelessness: Many suicide survivors cite this as a reason for their attempt. A suicidal person may feel that he or she no longer has a reason to live, and this makes suicide an acceptable option to them.

Anxiety: Sudden or even prolonged anxiety is also a sign of emotional stress, and can lead to thoughts of suicide.

Trapped: A person who feels trapped, whether by circumstances or events may feel that the only way out is through death.

Hopelessness: We all know how important hope is. Without that sense that life does get better people can feel that there is no reason to continue.

Withdrawal: A person that withdraws from their friends, family, work, or any other social community may be preparing themselves, or others around them for their not being there. They may not want people to see their pain because they are embarrassed, or feel that they will be "burdening" others with their pain.

Anger: Suicidal people can feel great rage, and can lash out, even violently, to correct perceived wrongs.

Recklessness: People that are contemplating, or have made the decision to die often display a for their own life. This can manifest itself in behaviors such as reckless driving, "stunts" or any other activity that puts oneself at undue risk.

Mood Changes: A person undergoing great stress and contemplating suicide may exhibit sudden mood changes. This can run the entire gamut of emotions, and a sudden sense of calm often indicate that suicide is imminent and should be dealt with in an expeditious manner.

Other warning signs include giving away prized possessions, and seeking access to weapons.

What to Do?

ACT!

ACT is an acronym for "Ask, Care, Treat".

If you suspect someone is considering suicide or is suicidal, ask them "Are you planning to hurt yourself?" Oftentimes, this simple act can put someone on the road to recovery, but it doesn't stop there. Let the individual know that you care, and that you don't approve of suicide. Listen to their problems, try and help them to talk it out. Don't be judgmental, or attempt to "fix" their problems. Do not leave the person alone. Finally, you should treat the problem. This doesn't mean you should engage in amateur psychiatry. Get the person to a trained counselor, heath care professional, school counselor, teacher, clergyman, fireman, paramedic, or a policeman. These people are all trained in what to do and how to get the specific help that a person needs. If none of these people can easily be gotten to, many countries have a suicide prevention hot line, the numbers to which I'll list at the bottom of the page.

In conclusion, I'd just like to say that suicide is never the answer. Please, Please, Please, if you or someone you know is considering suicide, ACT.

Suicide Prevention Phone Numbers:
    United States/Canada: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
    United Kingdom: 0800 068 41 41
    The Netherlands: 0900 113 0113
    Australia: 1800 55 1800

Unfortunately, my grasp of languages other than English is limited, so if anyone can help me populate this list further, I'd appreciate it.

"Suicide isn't painless, when you leave everyone in pain" -NoFX
    Last edited by dcviper; 10-Jun-2010 at 14:07. Reason: added numbers.

I've recently had a very close friend commit suicide. He left no note as to why he did it, and he never gave any signs except for calling a friend. The friend did not pick up, so we again have no clue as to why he did it. Suicide is probably one of the stupidest things you could do, right up there with drugs and alcohol. After seeing how much grief this one person caused my school, I know how much you really are wanted, and that you can easily affect many.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalCow View Post
    After seeing how much grief this one person caused my school.
    /offtopic... kind of.

I don't think a kid committing suicide is a huge problem for a school, most of the time the student body doesn't know or even really care about whoever. As for School staffing, I am sure some of them have met the kids, but some students don't leave a big impression for students or teachers/staff at schools. As always the ones that get hurt and aren't over it for a long time are the ones closet to the suicide victim... the one's that would actually prefer if he/she were still alive rather then the kid in the classroom next door that uses it as a excuse to take a day off to shop at the mall due to " Grief".

That all said, suicide is a horrible and immensely dark solution to just about any problem.

I have to disagree, with the proviso, that truly does depend on the school. I know when one of my class-mates committed suicide several years ago, it effected my entire graduating class, as well as most of the classes ahead and behind us. On the other hand, this was a high school with less than 170 total (4 grades) . . .

If you know someone who is suicidal or you feel this way, TELL SOMEONE! I used to contemplate suicide a lot when I was younger. After a failed suicide attempt, I talked to my youth pastor about it, and she told my mom. I spent some time in the hospital, and they taught me how to deal with my feelings. I was really angry at her for telling, but as I look back on it, I'm happy she did. It didn't seem like life would get any better, but it did! You can't see into the future, but things can always get better. You can't just expect to sit back and watch the world change. In the words of Gandhi, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Your life can't get better if you don't make a conscious effort to improve it.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    If you know someone who is suicidal or you feel this way, TELL SOMEONE! I used to contemplate suicide a lot when I was younger. After a failed suicide attempt, I talked to my youth pastor about it, and she told my mom. I spent some time in the hospital, and they taught me how to deal with my feelings. I was really angry at her for telling, but as I look back on it, I'm happy she did. It didn't seem like life would get any better, but it did! You can't see into the future, but things can always get better. You can't just expect to sit back and watch the world change. In the words of Gandhi, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Your life can't get better if you don't make a conscious effort to improve it.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem!
    Is 'solution' really the right word to use there?

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    Is 'solution' really the right word to use there?
    It is. It solves a problem, but only causes more trouble and pain. It's really not worth it. It may make you "happy," but it hurts everyone else. When I was in the hospital, one of the nurses told me about a girl who tried to kill herself via a gunshot to the head. It didn't kill her. She's spending the rest of her life in a wheelchair, unable to do anything at all. I'm sure this isn't what she wanted. No one wants to spend his/her life in a vegetative state.

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    It is. It solves a problem, but only causes more trouble and pain. It's really not worth it. It may make you "happy," but it hurts everyone else. When I was in the hospital, one of the nurses told me about a girl who tried to kill herself via a gunshot to the head. It didn't kill her. She's spending the rest of her life in a wheelchair, unable to do anything at all. I'm sure this isn't what she wanted. No one wants to spend his/her life in a vegetative state.
    Touche.

Yes, I've been there, especially during college. I did a lot of sleeping my Freshman class. By the time I was a senior, I was seeing a psychiatrist and had the emergency suicide card. Suicide causes so much sorrow to those who loved the victim. The funny thing is that usually the one who took their own life, touched so many other lives without ever realizing it. This year, we had a 12 year old 6th grader commit suicide. The entire faculty was in tears when we received the news collectively in the library before school started. Many of the students received counseling that day at school. The counseling continued all week. He was a sweet child who caused no harm to anyone. What a tragedy to have this life so abruptly ended.

Strangely enough, during the year I made a connect to one of our 8th grade students. I would just say hello to him every time he passed by in the hall early in the morning as I performed hall duty. Yesterday he asked me if I would be at graduation and I said I would be. Today when the 8th graders processed down the isle in our auditorium, he stopped and looked, saw me and waved. I was sitting in the back row. Towards the end of the ceremony I felt like someone was standing behind me. I heard him say my name, and ask me if I could tie his tie for him. We touch each others lives in ways we hardly perceive, and often miss. I am so glad I have known him even on this limited basis. If something happened to him, I would be devastated. Being human, we are so much more than the sum of our parts. There is still a mystery to our very being, and thus we touch one another in ways that have no logical explanation. To unnaturally end that relationship causes a part of us to die as well.

June

I don't see the point in suicide.

I mean, I've been there before. In the 6th grade, I was the least popular kid in school. I was picked on and ridiculed by half of the 6th grade, and had maybe two friends. On top of this hellish year, my depression was worse than ever, and the doctors still didn't know how to balance my medication. I seriously thought about taking a kitchen knife and stabbing myself right in the neck, where I would die the quickest.

So what kept me from doing so?

The fact that I knew I still had a lot of life ahead of me.

Suicide is such a dumb solution. No matter how bad things are, they can get better. Why would you take away your life when you still have more ahead? Life is a gift, and you only get one shot at it. Don't take it away. It's not worth it.