Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you leave behind?

Default What do you leave behind?

Say you're going on some kind of mission...one you know you aren't coming back from. My question is...what do you leave behind to let people know why you took the mission, or what they should know about who you were. Would you leave instuctions to contact someone, your "other" life, or what? Personally I think I'd leave instructions to contact someone that knows me extremely well online who could find a newspaper article online to prove something did actually happen to me. And I think I'd leave a set of passwords and IDs to get into places people shouldn't be...what would you do?

Please don't get too dramatic and write out a damn suicide note...mods, if people start doing that please just close the thread.

PS: it's hard to type well on an itouch.

GaashaHuzzah

This one's easy, I'd leave behind my diary of the past 8 years of my life.

It's chronicled more things then I can keep track of. In fact, it's really more like diaries at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    This one's easy, I'd leave behind my diary of the past 8 years of my life.

It's chronicled more things then I can keep track of. In fact, it's really more like diaries at this point.
    Sounds like what Rorschach did at the end of Watchmen. Totally kickass comic book, if you've never read it. If I had something like that, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'd just leave my lappy unlocked, and let people find out what they would about me on that. My entire life's on that machine, after all.

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by Albernhei View Post
    Sounds like what Rorschach did at the end of Watchmen. Totally kickass comic book, if you've never read it. If I had something like that, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'd just leave my lappy unlocked, and let people find out what they would about me on that. My entire life's on that machine, after all.
    Read it, seen the movie, baww'd about lack of giant squid. :P

If I ever found myself in that type of situation, to me it would be a mission that would involve me sacrificing myself so others could live on.

I'd leave a letter to my parents and sister explaining to them that I embarked on a mission that I don't imagine I will come back from and that I'll be looking out for them from above!

I wouldn't leave anything beyond that behind other than my personal belongings and I'd take with me the items I'd need to complete the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    Read it, seen the movie, baww'd about lack of giant squid. :P
    I heard that it was because they'd have had to have devoted too much story time to it. (There was quite a bit of leading up to it in the comics) However, I'm inclined to believe that it was omitted partially because of the September 11th attack. I think that the producers thought that it was too early. It's a shame, because it would have looked absolutely awesome.

you would leave behind the memories that people have of you, and that will be what is important to them, not anything material, not even a diary. I wonder though, why are you asking such a question? I worry when people start asking these sort of questions, sure hope everything is okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Albernhei View Post
    I heard that it was because they'd have had to have devoted too much story time to it. (There was quite a bit of leading up to it in the comics) However, I'm inclined to believe that it was omitted partially because of the September 11th attack. I think that the producers thought that it was too early. It's a shame, because it would have looked absolutely awesome.
    No, 9/11 had nothing to do with it. It was all time. The movie was pretty long to begin with, and explaining the giant squid would have taken at least another half hour. How it was made, what happened to all the people involved, what the fuck it was for, etc. It cut a lot of that out by making Dr Manhattan the fall guy.

As for the thread topic, this is what wills are for. They don't just outline who gets your stuff, it also should include critical information your friends and family might need to settle your affairs. Bank accounts, other financial stuff, how to access your various accounts, that sort of thing, your final wishes, etc.

I would 'leave behind' a giant explosion in the sky, and only that. All the rest would disappear. Folks would be left to speculate about the lights in the sky and the mysterious disappearance of PostTenebrasLux.

Most of the time, it feels like friends and family perceive me more positively than I do. Discussions about such things as "finding love" or living healthily and happily into old age are difficult; folks are so cheery about it, or continuously encouraging, and I can never be perfectly honest about what I really feel. (Get married have kids? Not bloody likely. "Oh, sure you will!" Either ignorance or desperate encouragement.) Could be because I'm pretty distant...nobody gets to see the full picture of who I am from day to day. If something horrible were to happen and I were to vanish unexpectedly, people in my life would probably learn things about me they would wish weren't true as they stopped by my home to pick up all the pieces.

I don't have anything better to leave behind than the high expectations of my family, friends, and colleagues. All the rest should be shot into the sun. Given the choice of taking such a no-return mission, that's the way I'd want it. And the explosion in the sky would be icing on the cake. I watch a lot of science fiction. People would put two and two together...

Hmm... welll...

If I had to go on some sort of suicide-mission or a trip with a good chance for not coming back alive...

I'd leave a set of instructions with a trusted entity (good friend or serious lawyer).
    Basically those instructions would give you access to my safe... and a letter of what to do with the contnets.
    I would place a few letters to my best friends & closest family, explaining my actions, trying to give them some form of closure.
    I would also include pre-signed letters of "ownership-transfer" over the few more or less "valuable" things I have... for example my motorcycle would go to one of my best buddies who always liked that ride.
    My cello for example would go to my sister, as she plays very well but does not have her own (rented)...
    stuff like that.
    I don't have much money, I don't have any property, gold or stuff like that... so I wouldn't care what happens to those little bits.

well that's it...
    basically I would of course try to take good care of all "affairs" before I leave for the no-return-mission... would try to settle things in advance...