Thread: Do you sometimes feel that...

Question Do you sometimes feel that...

I've read that in the medical field, the proper term for addressing an adult diaper is to refer to it as a "Fitted Brief" or just simply "Brief" for the sake of dignity to those who are incontinent and truly need them.

Have you ever been in a time where although what you are wearing looks like, feels like, acts like, and, by literal definition, is a diaper, you feel that you are not truly wearing a diaper because the package refers to the product as "Briefs" and the word "diaper" is not written anywhere in the packaging?

Briefs mean something different to me so I'm not inclined to take on this particular euphemism or be bothered by it. I could use it to spare the feelings of someone who was incontinent (and touchy) but I'd be translating from "diaper" in my own mind. They're big diapers and I don't need the package to confirm what is obvious.

Why does it matter how they're marketed? If it's a diaper then it's a diaper. If you are bothered by their description, you can always throw away the packaging and call them whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihlus View Post
    Why does it matter how they're marketed? If it's a diaper then it's a diaper. If you are bothered by their description, you can always throw away the packaging and call them whatever you want.
    I agree with this one.
    "Depends Briefs, hrm, only 10 bucks" 'Mmmm Diapers ^_^'

Well, I see what you mean, but if its plastic and has tapes, it's a diaper to me! :P I avoid the "brief" or "absorbant product" words by immediately telling the pharmacist or sales person that I need some DIAPERS!!! After that they just call them diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsAndLeaves View Post
    Well, I see what you mean, but if its plastic and has tapes, it's a diaper to me! :P I avoid the "brief" or "absorbant product" words by immediately telling the pharmacist or sales person that I need some DIAPERS!!! After that they just call them diapers.
    Well... I certainly wouldn't confront a cashier or pharmacist like that. Going face to face with them with a package of diapers that are your size is bad enough.

I can kinda understand the ignoring of what the package states. I mean, Depend Fitted-Maximum Protection states that it's "Fitted" and has "Maximum Protection", but the diapers don't ever fit right and the absorbency is absolute shit.

You know the saying... If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...

It is the same thing for diapers. Sure "fitted" or "adult" "brief" makes it sound nice. But we all know its a DIAPER. No shame in calling it what it actually is in my opinion.