Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outsourcing of jobs to other countries SUCK...

Default Outsourcing of jobs to other countries SUCK...

This is a bit of a rant, and it will probably get me flamed but I have to vent out about this. Last week, I had to call my cell company's support line, which is something I avoid like a plague because I hate their automated system named 'Alex' with a HUGE passion.

When I first got my cell, I was able to talk to Americans. Now, I talk to people with Indian accents. It's hard to understand them sometimes. Their accents are so thick and when you have a hearing loss, it makes it worse. It didn't help I was tired, pissed, and sure I had been double-charged- me paranoid about bank account- I had a hell of a time hearing the two dudes I talked to.

Anyway, I was angry, tired, and annoyed because I'd had a rough night- Well i finally get through and I hear the Indian accent again and it pisses me off right away. Now, I am not racist, but I would rather if I am calling a company, but to hear a good ol' American voice. Not an Indian- In my anger and frustration I said something I shouldn't have- and the dude picked it up. I said 'God, someone drop a nuke on these countries that are stealing American jobs!'

What had made me angry was a friend of the family lost her job at a call center to India a few years back, and she still has trouble finding a job. I have friends who have also lost their jobs to Indians too. Plus, I was having a hard time hearing him through the thick accent. He tried to claim he was an American, and I was like- Yeah right. I got transferred to a supervisor cause I was hostile, and keep in mind- I was tired, upset, and angry as all hell. And guess what, the supervisor had an Indian accent too.

Sure I probably sound racist, but I am not. I was just frustrated. I know it's cheaper for companies to send jobs to other countries, but still- I'd rather hear an American voice than an Indian voice that I can barely understand.

WildThing121675

I'll agree with you, it is a pain in the ass. Both dealing with automated systems (getting windows authenticated over the phone is a pain), and with foreign call services. But that's the price you pay for being an American... And I do mean that. As Americans, we want good quality cheap items, and we want to be wealthy. Well, that isn't going to happen if we keep all our jobs in the US. If we want good quality cheap items, or free support, in your case, we either have to up the price of the cell service or up the price of support, so that we can have Americans on the line. Americans don't want to work for as little as people from other countries do. It's just the way things are.

Now, if we could develop a program that could pass the turing test, then we'd all be happy... And one step closer to Cylons. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Albernhei View Post
    Americans don't want to work for as little as people from other countries do. It's just the way things are.
    I am happy to work for $6 per hour. Of course, working for $6 an hour is effective if and only if a house is $30,000 and a car is $2,500. Here, a house is not $30,000 and a car is not $2,500, so everything is scaled and inflated accordingly.

The problem is we want things made here, but then don't want to pay the price for them. Never had to talk to anyone from a call center in India though, the only tech support I have had to call is Lenovo (a Chinese company) which I am 90% sure their call center was in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Albernhei View Post
    I'll agree with you, it is a pain in the ass. Both dealing with automated systems (getting windows authenticated over the phone is a pain), and with foreign call services. But that's the price you pay for being an American... And I do mean that. As Americans, we want good quality cheap items, and we want to be wealthy. Well, that isn't going to happen if we keep all our jobs in the US. If we want good quality cheap items, or free support, in your case, we either have to up the price of the cell service or up the price of support, so that we can have Americans on the line. Americans don't want to work for as little as people from other countries do. It's just the way things are.

Now, if we could develop a program that could pass the turing test, then we'd all be happy... And one step closer to Cylons. Sweet!
    I'll take a #8 and a #6, please.

If an American company handled the call center but all of the employees were recent immigrants who had heavy accents willing to work cheap, you would be in quite a pickle - a pickle which shows that your rant is about the wrong problem. The real problem for you is that the call center services your company is offering is a low quality service. The problem is your company cutting costs with inferior goods, not the people of India. You should direct your anger at your company.

I am not mad at the company, I have been happy with my cell company.

It was the accents, which I could not understand all that well, and the anger at the automated system, 'Alex'- which pisses me off no matter what. I got mad at the guy because he was lying to me. American my butt. I know for a fact that Virgin outsourced jobs to India because it's cheaper and less expensive for them. If I were the US President, I would BAN outsourcing and fine every US company that did it until the jobs came back here.

WildThing121675

One of the biggest problems i have had with these call center guys is that they dont realy know how to fix your problem. See they ask what the problem is then read some pre typed answer on there computer

Mako

Want to know the really funny part? Chances are that "good ol' american" was probably a Canadian. There are American call centre's (and increasing lately due to law changes and a strong CAD), they tend to have circles ran around them by Canadian counterparts. There was modification of what outsourced centre's can handle as well by the American government, cost a lot of Canadians their jobs. So thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    If I were the US President, I would BAN outsourcing and fine every US company that did it until the jobs came back here.

WildThing121675
    At which point, American companies either increase usage of automated systems, pissing you off more, or increase the price of their goods to compensate themselves for the increased cost of customer support. Leaving them at a disadvantage to non-American companies, and harming your own economy. Some of the companies who are running on the very bottom of the cost scale may even be unable to compete, and close down, causing losses of jobs.

I do sympathise with you, as a lot of call centres for companies in Ireland tend to be in Eastern Europe. Although having Polish and Estonian classmates means their accents aren't as undecipherable to me as an Indian accent would be to an American.

Some companies have even started to advertise as having Irish or UK call centres, so maybe you should look out for a company advertising American call centres next time you are looking for a mobile network