Thread: Journal

Default Journal

I keep a journal of my daily life, or at least try to, haha. I have been thinking of switching over from writing in a formal paper journal to just doing in word or something(unless someone can reccomend an online journal service). What would the benifits of this be? My main concern is that, the english language will always be understandable to anyone who reads it, which is where the hand written journal comes in handy, where as if it is kept electronically, depending on the format it is in, it may be in accessible in a few years. So, what would the benifits of going digital for my journal be?

BernardFx

I really don't think a document would be unreadible in the future, or for the years we live. Anyway, it keeps updating, or you can change formats or something. One benefit of doing electronically is that you can totally edit your scripts, check and delete mistakes or bad handwriting, and you can acces it from a lot of different places, and store it handily (like in a USB memory card).

But some of the cons are that documents can be found quite easily, your information is never safe, it's sometimes hard to get and electronic device and use it to write, and, the most important for me, is that it's not gauranteed that the document is yours; while, on the other hand, handwriting is unique in every person, and you can easily sign it.

I keep a digital journal, in which I write journals periodically as I feel the urge (every other month or so, at the moment). I much prefer to type things out than to write them on paper.

Advantages:

-I will always have it and it is much harder to lose or damage (as long as you're backing up your data like you should be).
    -It's really more secure, assuming you're smart about how you do it. Make sure you save the document under encryption. Even better, you can then put the encrypted document in an encrypted volume on your computer.
    -An electronic journal will never run out of space. It also can be searched for keywords, retroactively edited should you choose, the colors and fonts can be changed at will - an electronic document is simply much more flexible than a manuscript.
    -All you have to do to get from an electronic journal to a formal paper journal is print it out.

My blog about life in Norway as an ex-pat is a sort of journal for me. I like the electronic format because it gives family, friends and others who are curious an opportunity to see what is happening with our family here without having to call, write, etc, and to share pictures easily. When we leave here in a few months and the last blog entry is made, I plan on having the blog published in hardcover as a gift to my daughter and gifts to the grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    I keep a digital journal, in which I write journals periodically as I feel the urge (every other month or so, at the moment). I much prefer to type things out than to write them on paper.

Advantages:

-I will always have it and it is much harder to lose or damage (as long as you're backing up your data like you should be).
    -It's really more secure, assuming you're smart about how you do it. Make sure you save the document under encryption. Even better, you can then put the encrypted document in an encrypted volume on your computer.
    -An electronic journal will never run out of space. It also can be searched for keywords, retroactively edited should you choose, the colors and fonts can be changed at will - an electronic document is simply much more flexible than a manuscript.
    -All you have to do to get from an electronic journal to a formal paper journal is print it out.
    Not to mention more cost effective too, I suppose that even if you were to get it printed out and bound, the cost of that would be cheaper in the long run, rather than buying blank journals to fill up.