Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Anime Convention - in London

Talking My First Anime Convention - in London

Hello, everybody! I meant to get this posted earlier, but I kept getting sidetracked with other things. Anyway, here goes:

I went to an anime convention in London last Saturday; it was the first one that I have ever been to. To put it mildly, I was astounded when I got there; there were people absolutely everywhere, all in different outfits, cosplay costumes, and even some fursuits. I was merely tagging along with my sister and two of her friends; however, I am very glad that I did.

Actually getting to the convention though was a bit of a pain in the neck; I live in the West Midlands which is about three and a half hours away from London. One of my sister's friends (Paul) didn't get up early enough so we had to wait for him to get up and dressed. After Paul was ready my dad drove everybody to Justin's house. Justin is Sam's other friend. Sam is my sister's name. Unlike Paul, Justin was ready with a kendo stick and a soul reaper costume in a shopping bag (he was going to be cosplaying). With everybody in the same place, we headed to the convention.

Seeing as taking a train would have been too much hassle, we simply drove to London in the car instead. This was undesirable for me as I get car sickness sometimes. We stopped three quarters of the way to get some breakfast at some place that I can't remember the name of. As anime fans in Britain are always socially awkward from excitement just before a convention, this did not bode well. Whilst nobody was injured, a couple of people snorted their drinks over the table. I was more dignified than that, and simply choked to near death on my water and oat biscuit quietly. After a couple of awkward silences and a toddler getting fussy on the other side of the room, we all got back in the car and arrived at the actual convention. On the way there, we made a "free hugs" sign from some sheets of paper that Sam glued to a piece of cardboard a few days earlier.

The first people in costume that we saw were dressed as Pikachu (from Wolf's Rain, I think). The queue for the convention was really long and moved really slowly. I think it took about half an hour to get our wristbands (which turned out to only be useful for entering the gaming section). Of course, the gaming section is the first place that we went to. But not before getting some free hugs from people who saw the sign. There was an event happening at the convention in which you would supposedly become a programmer. Of course, this consisted of nothing except for typing cheats into a Counter Strike console.

Blah blah blah, I had a great time. I got some Pocky and a Magic the Gathering deck, I nearly lost a foot to a crazy medic with a bonesaw and talked to a couple of furries who were plotting to help the fandom take over the planet or something awesome.

Bottom line, it was fantastic, and I might be going again next October with a friend of my own.

Congrats, seems like there's more and more anime cons going on in the past few years...considering going to one in July - Hopefully there's not a massive lineup like the one you attended had :P(I Loath lines!)

Edit: 444 Posts! Hurray for weird numbers!

conventions are FUN i can tell you, i might go as montey pythons king arthur for the lulz.

Spearmint

I would go to an anime convention, but I'm not that into anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetaluver View Post
    I would go to an anime convention, but I'm not that into anime.
    You don't have to be. You can be into just about anything. :P

Just have a lot of money on hand. The shit there is -expensive-. Best thing about anime cons is people expect you to take lots of pictures! Even of the half naked ladies or the dudes dressed in incredibly tight latex pants...Mrawr...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Just have a lot of money on hand. The shit there is -expensive-. Best thing about anime cons is people expect you to take lots of pictures! Even of the half naked ladies or the dudes dressed in incredibly tight latex pants...Mrawr...
    I actually saw a man that was dressed as Catwoman. Tight latex clothes, big nose and fugly black lipstick.

Oh, I saw a dude who came up and hugged my friend's character (cosplayers), and daaaaamn it was he sexy...Ruff Ruuuufffffff....But seriously. Bring a camera that can capture reasonably fast because your exposure will be all over the place, so you want to have plenty of pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrlova View Post
    The first people in costume that we saw were dressed as Pikachu (from Wolf's Rain, I think).
    What? Are you talking about pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by Inu View Post
    What? Are you talking about pokemon?
    No. *wink*