Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Myself

Default Introducing Myself

Hello,

I'm Tauvix and I'm new to the ADISC community.

I've tried to write this post something like four times in the past two days, and I keep getting "tongue tied" every time I try. Itís been a long time since I joined a new community, and Iím not really sure what to say. Therefore, Iím just going to try a stream of consciousness tactic, so please forgive any stumbling around.

Letís see, to start, Iím a 30 year old guy living in the Capital District of New York. I hold the positions of Linux Systems Administrator and Scribe for a large multi-national corporation by day, a graduate student in Computer Information Systems (working on a dual concentration of Bioinformatics and Internet Programming) and an Adjunct Professor of Computer Science by night.

As you might imagine, Iím also a gigantic geek (many people say dork ). For hobbies, I game (video, card, board, table-top RPG, you name it, I probably want to play it), I read (mostly sci-fi and fantasy), and I occasionally write (although, not very recently). In recent years Iíve also done a fair bit of community theater both as an actor and as a director. As for music, I mostly listen to country, soundtracks, show tunes (both contemporary shows, and the classics), and the occasional bit of pop.

On the AB/DL side of things, Iím mostly a DL with an occasional foray into AB. I donít wear terribly often, as my living situation makes frequent wearing difficult. I also have almost never worn with anyone else. Iím also a babyfur/diaperfur, and was one of the founding members of the original babyfur mailing list back in the late 90s. Most of the time I RP as an adult or early teen tiger. Occasionally I RP as a 3 or 4 year old.

Around 2004/2005 I ended up dropping out of most of the message boards and mailing lists that I was a part of due to a number of real life events that all occurred at once. If anyone was around during that time and remembers a Tauvix from just about anywhere, thatís me. I havenít changed my screen name in almost 15 years. In any event, I recently have come to the conclusion that Iíve lost touch with just about everyone I knew and I am now trying to reestablish old friendships and make new friends.

Hopefully thatís enough to get started. Iím happy to answer any and all questions that folks might want to pose, as Iím really not sure what all to put here.

Welcome to ADISC, Tauvix! I had the luxury of seeing you today at the IRC and I personally enjoyed reading your intro since you explained that you went through making it multiple times. That tells me that you have already put forth in making yourself into a member on this site. I hope you enjoy your time here on this site. Shania Twain?

Nice introduction! Glad you put the time in for this place to get to know you better. Do you read 2600 mag by chance?

Thanks. Once I get into a site or conversation I'm usually good. The whole introducing yourself thing just gets me all knotted up.

I'm not really a huge Shania Twain fan... I tend toward Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins, a new-ish group called Love and Theft, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Nice introduction! Glad you put the time in for this place to get to know you better. Do you read 2600 mag by chance?
    Thanks. I'm trying (some say very trying ).

I used to read 2600, but just don't have the time these days

Quote Originally Posted by Tauvix View Post
    Thanks. I'm trying (some say very trying ).

I used to read 2600, but just don't have the time these days
    Ok, but you're still cool in my book. Ever seen the MIT flea market? Defintely lets your geekness flourish (easy way to blow money on stuff you 'may' use 'someday'). I uttered the phrase "but we *need* this!" to my fiancee so many times that day.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Ok, but you're still cool in my book. Ever seen the MIT flea market? Defintely lets your geekness flourish (easy way to blow money on stuff you 'may' use 'someday'). I uttered the phrase "but we *need* this!" to my fiancee so many times that day.
    Heh. I haven't seen the flea market, but sounds like fun. I have my own stock of hardware that I *need* despite having upgraded the original system it came from like 10,000 times already.

Welcome to the site Tauvix.

BTW is your name a Star Trek Voyager reference from when Neelix and Tuvok merged into one person which called itself Tuvix?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Welcome to the site Tauvix.

BTW is your name a Star Trek Voyager reference from when Neelix and Tuvok merged into one person which called itself Tuvix?
    Thanks.

And no, I came up with Tauvix about a year before that episode aired. It was a random name I came up with for a story I was writing at the time. It sounded sufficiently contemporary while having a bit of a medieval flare, if that makes any sense. The story went nowhere, but the name stuck around.

That's not to say that I'm not a Star Trek fan, though. I am...well, with the exception of Enterprise...never got into that.