Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holidays dont seem to mean much any more...

Default Holidays dont seem to mean much any more...

For me this was my first long weekend in a long time... probably since Christmas but I noticed that (again) holidays don't seem to mean much to us any more. Every holiday whether Christmas, 4th of July, or even a day like today it all means nothing to so many people. When I watch T.V I see "Memorial day extravaganza T.V's 10% off" or "In honor of memorial day every car in stock has had there prices slashed to give you the best deal ever!". Even our president has decided to miss the ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery in favor of some time off in Chicago. I see that he is slated to participate in a ceremony there but what bothers me is he's not the first president to miss the Arlington Memorial; President Bush (I&II if I recall correctly) missed ceremonies in favor of taking leave. These men are supposed to be commander and chief of the military and yet choose not to attend a ceremony that honors all that have fallen for their ability to hold the office of President of the United states.

I myself am also guilty of not observing and preserving the meanings of days like today, for years it was a day off school or a day for me to go and hang out with friends. This year, every thing means so much more in my mind. Having done basic I have only gone through a tiny amount of what our men and women overseas are going through right now. Today while we sit on our patios or in our air conditioned houses someones son is sitting on a .50 driving down a road in Iraq waiting for the day he can see his family again.

Today I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a good time. I'm not saying that we shouldn't go out and buy something on a good sale. What I am saying however is not just today, but all of our "Holidays" mean so much more than we observe. Christmas Eve, the car dealership I work at was open because we might sell one car. I'm all for making money, but is nothing sacred any more?

I see that I'm deviating from my point and am beginning to ramble so I will end with this; I watch T.v and see all the adds for sales in honor of "memorial day." Several of my friends plans this weekend were no more than to get blasted and play video games. In all reality we shouldn't need a special day to honor our soldiers, firemen, policemen or anyone. We shouldn't need a reason to go to church (if you so choose, which i don't) or to donate to a charity. Thank a vet when you see them; not just today but every chance you get. Talk to them; listen to their stories. If you pray, pray for our service men and women to come home safe and soon and if not keep them in your thoughts. Without them, who knows where we might be.

I think most everyone now isn't preserving what this day is about. It's true a lot of good people lost their lives so we could be free from the rule of a king, be free from the rule of a stupid thing called a master race and now free from radical's who think we should live exactly as they do. Not to mention still being in other countries protection other populations other then our own. (DMZ belong the Koren border for example)

That said I can't really be pissed off if even the president or other political leaders are skipping out on events and festivals, they are just as human as you or I. Though they may not seem it during campaigns.

Hopefully somewhere in each of us we know what this day means. Also as for all the sales, it's just a excuse to have a sale and sell stuff they normally can't sell. They find reason's to have sales all the time now, plus it's not like we can't use a boost right now.

You're right, holidays are now mo more then simple days off...they should be more then that.

Holidays have always been a day to get blasted. Nothing's changed. You might want to check your rose-coloured glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Holidays have always been a day to get blasted. Nothing's changed. You might want to check your rose-coloured glasses.
    Yeah, Christmas has been a commercialized excuse to eat and drink too much while buying people shit we can barely afford for about a century now. There isn't anybody alive who ever experienced a time where Christmas was some solemn occasion. Hell, I'm not even sure there was a group that ever treated it that way. According to Wikipedia, Memorial Day is about the Civil War veterans, which is why WW1 vets got their own day in November. Hell, the only presidents that haven't missed Memorial Day ceremonies in my lifetime were Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

Holidays never really meant anything except an excuse for a day off. Sure, people sometimes made nice speeches or wrote books about Christmas Spirits, but the only Christmas Spirits anyone ever really cared about were of the alcoholic variety.

LilLillyKitten

Christmas? Sacred? It's based on a pagan holiday. x.x The Winter Solstice is where it's at, yo! =P

People should act the way they do on that day, everyday, towards everyone... but that's probably never going to happen.

Capitalism inspires consumerism, which is what drives the free market and competition; that's just how it is.

As you get older holidays just become less important than they are when you are young.

Most holidays are created for you to spend your money on useless stuff to impress others.

Holidays don't really mean much to me either since I don't have family to celebrate with during these times. I purposely work on holidays to keep myself distracted from this reminder. The holiday pay of double time or triple time is also a new extra bonus. Other then that though I don't really celebrate any holiday. I'm not interested in being blind sided by the commercial concepts either.

About two years ago I realize holidays are pointless, at least the ones that "force" us to see our family's. People don't need holiday's as a excuse to see their family's, though there are people that don't want to see their own families that often and holiday's are the obligatory days to do it on.

Right now today's been a really bad for me for a number of reasons. It's hot and humid which is most likely the main trigger for it being a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by maccracker18 View Post
    . . . In all reality we shouldn't need a special day to honor our soldiers, firemen, policemen or anyon . . . Thank a vet when you see them; not just today but every chance you get. Talk to them; listen to their stories. If you pray, pray for our service men and women to come home safe and soon and if not keep them in your thoughts. Without them, who knows where we might be.
    On a slight tangent, I agree with this senitment. Speaking from experience, military service is hard. Mind you, I always felt more than a bit awkward when someone thanked me. At the risk of sounding self-absorbed, I did what I did not for praise or recognition, but because it needed to be done and I could do it. So, yes, please, make the effort to thank and appreciate the veterans and others who serve to make out lives safer, easier.