Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: net trouble after large download

Default net trouble after large download

One of my online friends downloaded a few big files the other day, about 3GB total, and his internet has been slow and unreliable ever since. (disconnections and major slowdown)

He has Comcast cable internet. They have a "cap" of 250GB a month, so he can't be anywhere near reaching that limit. He doesn't download big stuff like this often.

He has a Mac.
    He has a modem (of course), a router (I think), and some kind of hardware firewall device.

He tried unplugging them all for a bit, but that didn't fix anything. I might ask him to try disconnecting the firewall and maybe router, but I don't yet know if that will work.

Any ideas?

3GB isn't really that big. And I don't think disconnecting your firewall will make any difference. If anything it will just make things worse.

Yeah, I told him that 3GB isn't all that much. It could just be a coincidence that he was downloading that much stuff when this happened. Disconnecting the firewall thing could make a difference if there's something wrong with the thing. Or the router if the problem lies there. I'm really not sure what else to tell him though.

Mako

First off, get him to run a speed test and compare it to what he's supposed to be getting.

Really hope it's not comcast messing around with their networks for users who download large things. Unfortunately they have the right to at the moment.

All I can say is reset the router/modem but it looks like you've already tried that.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by DJHusky View Post
    All I can say is reset the router/modem but it looks like you've already tried that.
    *twitches* Be VERY careful with your terminology. I know (or hope) you meant powercycle (turn off and on), but "reset" means something very different and is misinterpreted a lot. Reset means actually hard reseting the equipment through the pinhole button on the equipment. Usually not an issue on dynamic cable as most modems and routers are dhcp by default, but it's the principle that counts. Never know what else might be set-up in the network.

Troubleshooting without knowing where the problem is first can lead in to some pretty big no-no's. First step is to check if the line actually has a speed issue or if this is caused by something different.

The bad news that I could share here, and I accept that my knowledge is limited on such things, typically when someone downloads new files and their computer is running slower, they've been infected with a virus. We've been fighting a Trojan Horse at out school division for half the year. Even our professional version of Symantic couldn't handle it. They sent us an advanced version. The downside is that it seems to see some Window's files as viruses. I pointed out the irony of that, but no one was laughing.

It's possible that the ISP may be traffic-shaping so that anyone who downloads "a lot" of data over a short period may find that their data packets are de-prioritised so that light users can still use the network at an acceptable speed. After a certain period of time of low-use, the ISP will probably switch the connection back to the normal prioritisation level.

Having said that, 3GB isn't that much to download - I've seen Linux distros bigger than that, so it would be pretty mean for the ISP to traffic-shape so readily.

Speedtest.net is a pretty good site for keeping an eye on your download/upload speeds, and the ICSI Netalyzr site provides some interesting information about your Internet connection that may help identify the cause of the problems...

Would they really slow stuff down for such a relatively small download? I mean, their monthly "limit" is 250GB... much much higher than 3GB.

I find the virus idea unlikely since he's using a Mac. He also had this problem once before, but it went away on its own after a while.

He said it's working a little better now, so I dunno what else the problem could be.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 30-May-2010 at 00:09.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Would they really slow stuff down for such a relatively small download? I mean, their monthly "limit" is 250GB... much much higher than 3GB.

I find the virus idea unlikely since he's using a Mac. He also had this problem once before, but it went away on its own after a while.

He said it's working a little better now, so I dunno what else the problem could be.
    Since courts struck down the FCC's ability to enforce network neutrality they can do as they please unfortunately.

But that's speculatory, he needs to run a speed test first.