Thread: Publishing Program

Default Publishing Program

Hey, I am drawing a blank at the moment and am looking for some wisdom from the all great computer nerds I need to find a software program that will allow me to layout page work to basically make a "shopper", you know, those pages you get in the newspaper that have all the coupons in it, ya that thing.

I was thinking of using Adobe reader, mainly b/c it is free, with is a must. If anyone has a better solution, please let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Hey, I am drawing a blank at the moment and am looking for some wisdom from the all great computer nerds I need to find a software program that will allow me to layout page work to basically make a "shopper", you know, those pages you get in the newspaper that have all the coupons in it, ya that thing.

I was thinking of using Adobe reader, mainly b/c it is free, with is a must. If anyone has a better solution, please let me know. Thanks
    Publisher or Quark Express would be two that immediately come to mind.

Neither is free.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Publisher or Quark Express would be two that immediately come to mind.

Neither is free.
    Alright well that is a good start, since I already have publisher. Would photoshop be a good idea too? if I just resave the file as a JPG instead of a PSD?

you could also try scribus, it's kinda like publisher but it's free and open source.
    scribus.net | Scribus Open Source Desktop Publishing

If it's just a single page thing Photoshop should do fine.

If you're making a multi page spread, export each page as a pdf, then combine in Acrobat if you have pro. If you only have reader, you can just export pages as jpgs and assemble them in Publisher.

Personally I hate using Publisher to actually design stuff, but if you don't have access to many programs it will do as a page layout / compositing tool.

You will have much more control over images etc if you create the actual content in PS though.

I'm assuming that you don't have Indesign as well as PS because if you do, then use that!!

Adobe InDesign. Hands down. Creating templates is the tricky part, but once you do that, it makes the content creation a snap!