Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i never connected to anything from my childhood

Default i never connected to anything from my childhood

after reading some threads i've realized something, other than diapers i don't have a favorite object from my childhood. i even remember it being an issue in second grade when the teacher told us to bring in our favorite stuffed animal and to tell the class it's name. i just never had one to begin with so i had to play a facade of sorts. i also don't have a favorite blankey or toy. it's kinda depressing.
    the only other things i remember being attatched to was a superman action figure (with power punching abilities) and my NES. the nes was my babysitter growing up. after my mom breaking up with my dad and working the 9 to 5 it was all i had to cling to.
    is there something wrong with me or is this something others out there experience?

I haven't experienced it myself (I still have a bwankie and some plushies), but I bet you're not the only one.

And it's never too late to get an attachment to a childish object! Go get yourself a Beanie Buddy!

Some people see no need to hang on to things from there past, I used to feel that way about the cars I have owned, but there will always be another one.

And my case another and another.

I think you are more interested in the things you will have in the future, like myself I can't wait for the next car, I don't know what it will be, but when I see it, I'll know it.

I never had anything that I have had since a baby that I was really attached to. I have Thumper, who is a bunny I got on my second birthday, and my blanket my Gram made when I was born and a few other things.

One thing I have noticed though, I have always clinged to my achievements. Awards, A lot of artwork from when I was little medals, Valedictorian speech (Which is extremely crumpled, lol. All the things like that.

Darkfinn

aww... that's so sad...

I guess I haven't held on to specific items from my childhood... but I do still have a longing for types of items... plushies in particular.

I never wanna be without a snuggle of some sort... even with my gf to cuddle with... it's just not the same.

this is so disappointing, but that probably explains my attatchment to video games then. yeah, anyone who knows me knows how attached to my dreamcast i am. i guess i just wish i has something non-electronic to hold or to make me feel safe.... i need to buy some diapers soon...

I never had an attachment to anything either. I had some toys I liked more than others, particularly my dolls, but I didn't sleep with them or feel the need to carry them everywhere. In fact, when I was little I'd notice other little kids carrying around a certain blanket or stuffed animal and I'd try to become attached to one, but I just didn't

I think this is probably more normal than you think, I've since worked with kids at elementary schools and in daycare, and most of them weren't attached to anything.

I enjoy cuddling with stuffed animals more than I did as a kid (I wasn't really a cuddly kid) but I still don't have a favorite blanket or anything.

I used to like a bear a lot, but I don't seem to need it anymore. One plushy thing I really like to play with is a little lion Beany Baby - which I originally named Rory (from the tag). I'd like to carry it around with me, but that's not an option ~_~

I kind of wish I had something. A blanket or something. My mom got my sisters blankets but never me! I guess she figured it was too effeminate!

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    this is so disappointing, but that probably explains my attatchment to video games then. yeah, anyone who knows me knows how attached to my dreamcast i am. i guess i just wish i has something non-electronic to hold or to make me feel safe.... i need to buy some diapers soon...
    Besides the controller, you're not holding onto something electronic when you play your dreamcast. Your passion lies inside your mind, where you experience the game. Just because the game itself doesn't exist physically, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist in your mind.

Go back to the Matrix when morpheous asks the question

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    "What is Real? How do you define real? If real is something you can see or touch, then real is simply electrical signals being interpreted by your brain"
    See senor? And this Matrix quote below, makes me feel better about wearing diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human
    As for me personally, I have many things I smile upon thinking of my childhood. Last year, i came home from school and managed to find one of my favorite stuffed animals I had when i was a kid, and brought it back up to school with me. It's been sleeping on my bed for a year now, I snuggle with it sometimes.
    Last edited by diapeybabybrian; 29-Apr-2008 at 14:32. Reason: ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    after reading some threads i've realized something, other than diapers i don't have a favorite object from my childhood. i even remember it being an issue in second grade when the teacher told us to bring in our favorite stuffed animal and to tell the class it's name. i just never had one to begin with so i had to play a facade of sorts. i also don't have a favorite blankey or toy. it's kinda depressing.
    the only other things i remember being attatched to was a superman action figure (with power punching abilities) and my NES. the nes was my babysitter growing up. after my mom breaking up with my dad and working the 9 to 5 it was all i had to cling to.
    is there something wrong with me or is this something others out there experience?
    No, your not wierd. That sometimes happens..

Many kids don't have a toy to bond with, so don't feel like your wierd for not having one. It stinks that you didn't have a toy that made you feel secure, but it isn't worth beating yourself up over. There are a lot of things that I missed out on in my childhood, but instead of dwelling over the things I didn't get to do, I appreciate the things that I did get to do.