Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer!!

Default New Computer!!

So today I went out to the local Apple store, and purchased a brand new shiny iMac! I got the 24 inch of course with the 2.4Ghz dual intel core duo processors. But honestly, I could never afford this thing, which is why I'm glad they have the option to make monthly payments on it.
    This thing is FAST. Anybody out there who are Mac haters, well, you've obviously never really used one .
    The reason I got it is because I edit a lot of HD footage which my old computer couldn't handle, and I'm really glad I bought. So, uh, yeah it should be paid off in a few years lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    So today I went out to the local Apple store, and purchased a brand new shiny iMac! I got the 24 inch of course with the 2.4Ghz dual intel core duo processors. But honestly, I could never afford this thing, which is why I'm glad they have the option to make monthly payments on it.
    This thing is FAST. Anybody out there who are Mac haters, well, you've obviously never really used one .
    The reason I got it is because I edit a lot of HD footage which my old computer couldn't handle, and I'm really glad I bought. So, uh, yeah it should be paid off in a few years lol
    Im not a mac hater, i just can't afford them meself

I uses ubuntu and xp (gross). The only reason i use xp is 1, the computer isn't fully mine, and 2, i like my games.

Anyways, Congratts

EmeraldsAndLime

A 24 inch screen somehow seems worthless when it's connected to a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    A 24 inch screen somehow seems worthless when it's connected to a Mac.
    That is a very true statement. :p

Ah, say what you want, but I fail to see any thing wrong with Macs
    But lets not turn this into a 'I hate Macs Windowz rullz!!' thread.

People are not mac haters we just don't want to waste our money. I can build a better/faster system for less money then you paid. I see no point in macs or anything apple any more considering they really like to overcharge for the products they are selling.

Hey, if you have the cash, why not? They're fantastic machines. I got myself an iBook G4 a few years ago and have never looked back. It's small, aesthetically stunning, amazingly reliable and just generally a great piece of kit. I don't think I'd ever buy an Apple desktop since I'm a PC gamer (or was before I had to divert cash from building a new PC to, you know, having a place to live for the next few years) but I'm definitely buying another Apple laptop when this one gets too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post

Right.

Firstly, yeah I agree when it comes to RENDERING high def video, Macs defo have the upper hand... but at the same time I'm happy with the way AE, Premiere and Vegas render stuff on my windows OS. I only have a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, but my music videos which I edit the living **** out of (I do a lot of stuff in chroma key) apply and render perfectly on my laptop ^.^ and when it's something biiiig I use the network renderer

So yeah, well chuffed for you getting your iMac, but I'm sure a Windows machine could have done the job if you found the right one

Yay, for you! I have a MacPro with duel 23" screens and have had PC's in the past. I LOVE my Mac. I'll never go back and I think you will very happy with it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Verscha View Post
    Hey, if you have the cash, why not? They're fantastic machines. I got myself an iBook G4 a few years ago and have never looked back. It's small, aesthetically stunning, amazingly reliable and just generally a great piece of kit. I don't think I'd ever buy an Apple desktop since I'm a PC gamer (or was before I had to divert cash from building a new PC to, you know, having a place to live for the next few years) but I'm definitely buying another Apple laptop when this one gets too old.

Here are the reasons why you should NOT buy a mac EVEN if you had the money to blow on it.

1. Macs are more pricey then say a dell with exactly the same hardware and dells are more expensive then say just ordering all the parts and putting it together yourself. Today Knex and logo sets are more harder to build then putting together a computer.

2. The only reason mac's can't get a virus is since no hacker wants to waste his or her time designing a virus for a OS system which is hardly even used.

3. 2.4 GHz dual cores are ok but if you if you really wanted to edit video and encode it then you should of got a Intel Quad Core at and overclock it to 2.6- 3 GHz. That would be WAY more faster then a two core 2.4 GHz.

4. Theres way more video editors for XP/Vista then Mac hands down. This goes for ALL programs and even games. Tell me when your running Call Of Duty 4 from the Mac OS with out using boot camp (which I Think voids the whole purpose in buying a mac)

5. Apple loves you for buying their systems since they know you will either buy a new one when you want/need to upgrade or will take it to one of their stores to have it upgraded.

I am not a windows fanboy I have tried Apples OS and I see no reason why its better then Windows. But hey if your having fun with your mac more power to you.

All I am saying is you could of spent less and got a faster computer. I would say you could cut maybe 15% off the time you spend editing since you did not got for a good dual core or you did not go for a Quad Core.