Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Programming Language

Default Favorite Programming Language

What is your favourite programming language. I use PHP the whole time for websites but can't stand RoR.

I'd have to say either C or Python. C++ is fine too. I like Ruby, but never tried Ruby on Rails.

Old school HTML that's all I know how to do. I've seen programs like Dreamweaver but for sertion things it's better to do it the old fation way.

Tigger

As far as scripting goes PHP, that's what we've been taught in class and it beats the hell out of all other scripting languages I know. I'm a fairly proficient PHP programmer. For actual compiled programming languages, I quite like C and C++, and I know a little Java. But I'm still learning in that area. If all goes well and I manage to get into uni next year I'll be quite happy and I will come to learn others.

im going with what kevintje said. I know the basic stuffs in php, mysql, batch, visual basic script, java, used to know a little visual basic, and i guess i can throw html in there even through its technically not a programming language.

My OP was very short so I'll elaborate a bit here.

I run websites as a hobby, any I use PHP/MySQL applications. (with the exception of a perl db backup program). As far programs I write myself, for websites they have been PHP/MYSQL/AJAX sites.

In my (repetive and short-lived) forays into desktop programming, I have attempted to learn Java, C++ and Visual Basic. Java is the only one I've managed to stick at for any length of time.

I hear a lot of discussion on web design forums about RoR and when I decided to try it, while it may be good for new programmers I personally find:

Code:
    for(i = 0; i<10; i++) {
    print i;
    }
    to make much more sense than:
    Code:
    10.times puts |i|

I learnt the basics for my diploma.

C, Java, HTML, SQL, VB and uP programming.

I used to sell my 'services' online, where one needs a project done and I complete it for them for a small fee. Those were my enterprising days. Too bad I grew lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper14th View Post
    My OP was very short so I'll elaborate a bit here.

I run websites as a hobby, any I use PHP/MySQL applications. (with the exception of a perl db backup program). As far programs I write myself, for websites they have been PHP/MYSQL/AJAX sites.

In my (repetive and short-lived) forays into desktop programming, I have attempted to learn Java, C++ and Visual Basic. Java is the only one I've managed to stick at for any length of time.

I hear a lot of discussion on web design forums about RoR and when I decided to try it, while it may be good for new programmers I personally find:

Code:
    for(i = 0; i<10; i++) {
    print i;
    }
    to make much more sense than:
    Code:
    10.times puts |i|
    Actually I think the whole blocks and iterators thing is pretty handy. Of course, in python you could have just said

Code:
    print '\n'.join(map(str, range(10)))
    Ok or probably not.. but still

Code:
    for k in range(10):
        print k
    I think is a bit more elegant.