Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franklin Raines

Default Franklin Raines

Guys I need a little help sorting out the BS from the truth about Franklin Raines.

I am doing a "short" paper for a class called "Into to macro-economics" and my instructor thought I might like to dig into the controversy around this man.

To date I started reading all the stuff i can on line but most of it seems to be either biased to the conservatives in the form of blaming Raines for everything from the fall of the housing mortgage market to the fall of Rome, or biased to the far left removing most if not all blame.

SO I need some help, this guy and the entire subject is so broad and so hard to get truthful data on and I really want to write something unbiased and truthful about a specific aspect of his work with Fannie Mae. I thought about looking at Raines and his handling of some aspects of the Cap and Trade carbon exchanges but again hard to find good factual data.

I am out of my usual area on this one and would appreciate any help you guys could give.

So what sort of information are you looking for? Stuff about his chairmanship of Fannie Mae, or what? For anything like this, the "references" and "external links" section of the wikipedia page on the subject is usually a great place to go.

Thanks man, I did look at those and what do you think of Google scholar? We can't use wiki of course but I will go back and look a some of the sources closely.

Right now I am in the brainstorming/narrowing down phase, I haven't even begun on a thesis statement yet. I always have trouble doing research on cold topics (meaning ones I don't already have some idea about). I think i should pick something specific from Mr. Raines time as chairman since the focus is supposed to be on Macro-Economic management styles not political controversy.

I am also not used to the Chicago manual of style method yet, I did get a good version of it from amazon so that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    Thanks man, I did look at those and what do you think of Google scholar?
    It's one of the best things Google has ever created, and I wish it existed back when I was in university. I'm such a Google fanboy, I really am. GoogleTV looks pretty damn kickass (It's like the AppleTV, except made of awesome instead of fail).

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    We can't use wiki of course but I will go back and look a some of the sources closely.
    Almost every wikipedia article is very well sourced, so if you see something mentioned in a wikipedia page that you'd like to use or mention, make sure to check out the article sources at the bottom. There's a good chance that the specific point you like has its own footnote, so you can start there.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    It's one of the best things Google has ever created, and I wish it existed back when I was in university. I'm such a Google fanboy, I really am. GoogleTV looks pretty damn kickass (It's like the AppleTV, except made of awesome instead of fail).

Almost every wikipedia article is very well sourced, so if you see something mentioned in a wikipedia page that you'd like to use or mention, make sure to check out the article sources at the bottom. There's a good chance that the specific point you like has its own footnote, so you can start there.
    youve just discovered an undergrads 11th hour assignment tactic, quote wikipedia and cite its citations. quick easy and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by silent deadly alchemist View Post
    youve just discovered an undergrads 11th hour assignment tactic, quote wikipedia and cite its citations. quick easy and fast.
    That wasn't exactly what I was advocating, but believe me - that tactic has been around longer than Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    That wasn't exactly what I was advocating, but believe me - that tactic has been around longer than Wikipedia.
    i realise, the first, and i GUESS the second is true. (wikipedia sure made it easier) but yeah

There was a fairly comprehensive article in Scientific American 3 or 4 years ago on carbon trading. Don't recall if Franklin Raines was mentioned or not, as this was before the big collapse. Don't have the mag around anymore, but it might be worth searching their website or your local library.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    There was a fairly comprehensive article in Scientific American 3 or 4 years ago on carbon trading. Don't recall if Franklin Raines was mentioned or not, as this was before the big collapse. Don't have the mag around anymore, but it might be worth searching their website or your local library.
    carbon trading ooh nowim interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Don't bother with this. The Franklin Raines/Cap and Trade connection is complete garbage. It's all the same crap that's been floated about so many other conspiracies - pointing out disparate datapoints and saying "well isn't that INTERESTING?" without even making a coherent point. The misinformation that's being passed around about Cap and Trade to begin with is so voluminous that you'll never find any good sources on the issue that even mentions Raines.