Thread: Computer Problem

Default Computer Problem

Ok, so I just found one of my old laptops, which is a Toshiba Tecra 8000, running Windows 2000 Pro. I had a Login name set up on it. I have forgot the password for it has be a few year since I have used it. Is there any way to get past it.

We had the same situation on the ROTC computer at school. We used this boot-up CD to reset the password and change it into something we could remember. Great little tool.

This works on all NT-based OS's, meaning Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Vista. It works by modifying the system registry's SAM file, so that you can change the password without knowing the old one! You can also delete the password altogether, aka "blanking" the password.

Good luck!

There is a small chance that your 2000 laptop is the same as mine and it has an account named admin with a blank password, however I doubt that yours will.

Worth a try, if not, use mm3's better idea.

Some windows installs seem to come with an Administrator account (as Mr. Alex mentioned) with a null password, however in my experience this account is available only in safe mode.

Is this a BIOS password or a windows password. (In other words does it come up before or after windows starts)?

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    We had the same situation on the ROTC computer at school. We used this boot-up CD to reset the password and change it into something we could remember. Great little tool.

This works on all NT-based OS's, meaning Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Vista. It works by modifying the system registry's SAM file, so that you can change the password without knowing the old one! You can also delete the password altogether, aka "blanking" the password.

Good luck!

Hey thanks, it worked. It took me a min. to figure out how to burn the file to a cd as an image, but once I got past that no problem. I poped it in and blanked the Admin. password and was on within seconds. YOU ROCK!!!