Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Doc - Big question - Anyone have an idea what she's talking about?

Default New Doc - Big question - Anyone have an idea what she's talking about?

I broke down an went to see a new doc today so I could get it out of the way in case I get this new job. I was kinda worried because I am use to male docs but just took a deep breath and remembered all the nurses I seen before and tried to think of her as one of them. She also does a lot of acupuncture and physical therapy and don't like to give medications unless she has to. She was very nice but I'm not to sure about her new ideas.

She is the first one to really put all the different things together and tell me basically how they might be related instead of separate problems. It sounded good anyway. I showed her my xrays and cat scans and all the other papers in the folder and so she sent me over to get several gallons of blood taken. (i know but it seemed that way because there was so many of the big tubes taken) then she explained how just because the nerves to the bladder are not working that instead of looking just there that she wanted to see more toward my T and S sections of my back. I told her no offense but I been thru all that before and thats how I got all the other scans. She said yes but she still thinks it might be something else and wants me to get a cat scan on my head! She scheduled it for tomorrow. I told her I didn't have insurance anymore and that the last one was almost 5 thousand bucks! The rest that happened after that was pretty sweet and I don't have to worry about the money now but it's a long story. So I am going for a scan tomorrow. I asked her why a scan on my head if nerve problems for the UT system is either spine or organ related and she pretty much ask if I trust her or not. I said yes but was thinking she's off her rocker.

Now here's the part I don't really understand and maybe one of you guys can help me out here. She said that from all the symtoms I told her about that it could be (i can't remember exactly what words she used) but it was like water IN the brain??? She said i really needed to get it checked out to be sure. Any of you guys/gals heard of this before? Also that the pressure there could be causing micro spasms which is what makes my back hurt and side and also cause nerve problems to the UT system. She did say that the physical damage that I have from the deforemd bladder could also be causing the constant BPH and infections but if the problem really was what she thinks it might be then the rest could probably be treated and I could "lead a fairly normal life if not be almost cured with minamal care" (her words)

I really love the idea of being continent but there was so much that I don't understand with what she's saying now and it's pretty scary. I am suposed to see her again tomorrow evening after the blood work and scan gets back. I don't know if I should be scared or overjoyed. -VERY CONFUSED- is more like it now.

Water in the brain sounds like a very archaic diagnosis to be honest. I wouldn't ask about her credentials directly, but check and see what kind of education she received and look her up on www.ratemds.com

A large percent of mass in the brain is water, what she may be referring to is hydrocephalus which is the accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in parts of the brain where it shouldn't be, usually following a head injury. It's more common in the elderly than in young people.

I'm not a doctor (yet), and I can't diagnose you with anything. I would trust her, though, she is after all a doctor (right?)
    If money isn't an issue I would go for it, it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by 1foreveryoung1 View Post
    A large percent of mass in the brain is water, what she may be referring to is hydrocephalus which is the accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in parts of the brain where it shouldn't be, usually following a head injury. It's more common in the elderly than in young people.
    The only thing that came to my mind is what you said. I know a friend that has a genetic issue like this and has a shunt placed in order to release excess fluid from the brain. This excess fluid (and pressure) is usually applied to the whole brain and not just a section though, so that's what confused me. I don't understand how she mentions brain fluid causing pressure to one specific point in the head. Hope everything works out for you tbchris.

tbchris, many of the things that go on in the brain are a mystery still to doctors. The few things that they do have figured out or have guessed at have gotten them quite far in medical research.

I have my cluster headaches--a nightmarish life by most any standard, and, as luck would have it, 'it's all in my head'. Yes, quite literally, it is. The chemistry, the neurology, all of the little interactions in the brain, those cause my headaches. What do most doctors know about how to cure it? Almost nothing.

My current neurologist helps me by allowing me to have pain medications to control the headaches with. A prior neurologist refused to give me anything stronger than Motrin, swearing I would be a drug addict if he did. A new, different neurologist wants me off the pain medications, thinking they are keeping the headache cycle from stopping.

Does one doctor hold all the answers? No. This is where the hard part comes in. You have to determine how much you trust them. Why? Because they practice medicine. They don't make it happen, it's practice. So you have to trust that they aren't always going to be right or perfect. Find one you like and trust, and go for it!

I wish you luck, and hope you gain continence. Getting to have the diapers for fun alone would be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    tbchris, many of the things that go on in the brain are a mystery still to doctors. The few things that they do have figured out or have guessed at have gotten them quite far in medical research.

I have my cluster headaches--a nightmarish life by most any standard, and, as luck would have it, 'it's all in my head'. Yes, quite literally, it is. The chemistry, the neurology, all of the little interactions in the brain, those cause my headaches. What do most doctors know about how to cure it? Almost nothing.

My current neurologist helps me by allowing me to have pain medications to control the headaches with. A prior neurologist refused to give me anything stronger than Motrin, swearing I would be a drug addict if he did. A new, different neurologist wants me off the pain medications, thinking they are keeping the headache cycle from stopping.

Does one doctor hold all the answers? No. This is where the hard part comes in. You have to determine how much you trust them. Why? Because they practice medicine. They don't make it happen, it's practice. So you have to trust that they aren't always going to be right or perfect. Find one you like and trust, and go for it!

I wish you luck, and hope you gain continence. Getting to have the diapers for fun alone would be really nice.
    I noticed that you're in California, have you considered trying medical cannabis?

Cluster attacks responsive to recreational cannabi... [Headache. 2009] - PubMed result

That's a recent case study that showed it had a significant effect on combating cluster headaches. Lucky you, you happen to be in a state that allows it. Ask your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1foreveryoung1 View Post
    I noticed that you're in California, have you considered trying medical cannabis?

Cluster attacks responsive to recreational cannabi... [Headache. 2009] - PubMed result

That's a recent case study that showed it had a significant effect on combating cluster headaches. Lucky you, you happen to be in a state that allows it. Ask your doctor and see what he/she thinks.
    Anytime I've ever used cannabis before, it's just given me headaches. So now I try to avoid it. Can't really have much luck if the cure is worse than the disease, right?

Just got word that the consulting neurologist has opening in August to try and get medications switched around like he wants though (finally!!! YAY!!!). I'm hoping it works to break my cluster cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    Anytime I've ever used cannabis before, it's just given me headaches. So now I try to avoid it. Can't really have much luck if the cure is worse than the disease, right?

Just got word that the consulting neurologist has opening in August to try and get medications switched around like he wants though (finally!!! YAY!!!). I'm hoping it works to break my cluster cycle.
    Whatever works for you. Brain chemistry is one thing that varies more than anything on a person to person basis, and the same drugs used to treat the same disorder don't always work on different people.

Best of luck.

Any updates on the original issue?

My guess would be that she dosent want to scare you, and is probably why she wants you to trust her without giving all the details. She could list a bunch of possible diagnoses (there are many different things she could suspect), but then you would be freaking out before you know if it even is any of them!
    If you trust her or not is up to you, but I would get the test done (if you havent already), because what you typed, from a medical point of view, dosent sound crazy at all

Well, i have an update but is now more confusing than before. It turns out that 1foreveryoung1 was right that she was wanting to test for 2 things. hydrocephalus and parkinson's disease. The result.... could be either or neither. *facepalms*
    She found - a slightly enlarged 4th valve - possibly caused by little extra CSF (brain fluid) backed up. She kept saying "affecting the pawns" to.
    -a 'hole' in the skull covered with scar tissue just over the "primary somesthetic area"
    Then came a jillion questions about my uncle. That much I wasn't real happy with because i think i know what she was poking for. I just kept telling her that I just moved in with him. She left it at saying there was a lot more tests she wanted to do and she wanted me to talk to someone else about 'any help i need' and that i 'can trust them they are good people'. I told her that it was ok but i really didn't have enough money to do more testing and that i was getting a new job out of state. I think she was going way above what I went there for and had something in her mind that just freaked me out bigtime. Whatever it was. I ain't going back. Still has me wondering tho. I just have this super strong feeling if I went back there would be some kind of trouble and none of it made any sense.

Peachy

First of all, you're an adult and it's your body. If you don't want any more tests, then refuse. Not on the grounds of money but on the grounds of her prying to deep. That ultimately also applies to your uncle, although that's a different story altogether.

Other than that, it's always a good idea to get another opinion if your previous doctor basically gave up. I'm not a medical doc (just a PhD) but from all the House episodes it seems that some medical problems can have peculiar reasons, so checking for water in the brain may be able to help finding the problem and thus a solution.
    This is even more important now that you may move out of state for a new job and won't have the time there to spend days doing medical testing.

Peachy