Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nostalgic about baby diapers

Default nostalgic about baby diapers

now, from what i've read, they don't have plastic covers on baby diapers anymore, right?
    i miss those. i know i could never fit in them since i was 8 years old, but the thought of something so symbolic like that gone kinda hurts. it's weird how it just hit me right now.
    i know we have people over in other countries so what i'm asking is can you get plastic covered baby diapers over there or are they all cloth?

You can get them here, on eBay. People post them up for sale sometimes. They call them "Vintage Pampers" for instance. But the seller will want a fortune, and you gotta lotta crazy diaper finatics who are willing to give you a bidding nightmare.
    Last edited by diapeybabybrian; 25-Apr-2008 at 03:41. Reason: ^_^

Hello
    I miss the plastic ones my self.
    particularly the ones from the 1970's and 80's when they still had some bulk to them.
    even adult diapers are going to cloth like covers.
    I hate the cloth like covers, they don't hold wettness as good and they chafe my inner thighs
    I like plastic backed diapers better.

Quote Originally Posted by wetatnight View Post
    Hello
    I miss the plastic ones my self.
    particularly the ones from the 1970's and 80's when they still had some bulk to them.
    even adult diapers are going to cloth like covers.
    I hate the cloth like covers, they don't hold wettness as good and they chafe my inner thighs
    I like plastic backed diapers better.
    I'm sorry but maybe diapers themselves have gone down the tube...But if you know anything about diapers...cloth-backed diapers are still plastic diapers...They may chaffe you, but if you peel off the cloth cover...(if you know how to separate it from the plastic....which is generally not supposed to be done, and is very difficult unless there is a design flaw) then it is after all a plastic diaper...just underneath the cloth. They are still plastic to be waterproof after all....If they are leaking more it's not because of the cloth, it's because of other factors of the diaper...They probably changed them at the same time because when they change them they usually change a lot. (...but if you change them, you usually only change one )

Did any manufacturer make pull-ups with a plastic cover. Or were pull-ups the start of the cloth covered era?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by cpndl View Post
    Did any manufacturer make pull-ups with a plastic cover. Or were pull-ups the start of the cloth covered era?

Craig
    The whole purpose of pull-up style diapers is to be discrete and look at least vaguely like underwear. It therefore seems unlikely that there was ever wide-scale production of plastic-covered pull-up style diapers.

Of course, I could be wrong, since I'm hardly that interested in the history of diapers...

On a related note, DryNites/GoodNites are perhaps one of the easiest diapers to remove the cloth-like cover from, leaving a thin plastic layer behind. Just pick at the very front of the diaper-- the stretchy bit-- and the cloth layer should become loose from the other layers. Then just shred it off. You don't even have to be that careful.

to the question of. did pull ups originally have a plastic cover?
    the answers is yes , the when they first came out. I think around 1989 . but it was only for a few years if that long , before they changed over to the cloth like covers, similar to baby diapers.
    I have occasionallly seen some packages of the original pull ups for sale on ebay under vintage diapers or vintage pull ups.

I forgot if my pull-ups were plastic backed or not. All I know is I got diaper rash from pull-ups. I was born in late 1987 and I was potty training in maybe 1990 or maybe 1991.

If you really want history, (and I went on line for this, I'm not that old, honestly) during the Victorian period, cloth diapers were the new thing. If you were born into royalty, you got changed once a day, and if you were a commoner, you were changed once a week! I know, I couldn't believe it either, but that's what I have read.

I remember them from when i am little and i think it's a shame. They really took a symbolic piece of it away like you said kite.