Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the dirty dozen (of terrible toxins)

Default the dirty dozen (of terrible toxins)

im talking about toxins, poisons and venoms, the can be 'natural' or some devilish manmade concoction or both.

the purpose of this thread?

give people some info about some of the nasty things that are floating around our planet, and these arnt restricted to industrial chemicals (as those who have been bitten by a rattlesnake, eaten a poisonous, or bad plant or even bad FOOD can attest)

for those that wish to know, the ttle of this thread refers to the 'dirty dozen' of list of hammful chemicals listed by the stockholm convention of persistant organic pollutents (POPS)

so those that know some things, or have questions about various toxins , maybe ones listed on the news, consider this a chance to ask questions. and discuss the chemistry and biology of these sometimes lethal substances

due to all the talk recently about many things, such as bottled water, landfill, the recent crisis in the gulf of mexico, as well as many health issues and just plain old questions about deadly spiders and snakes.

now some basic guidlines, list the name then if you can find or list it, the chemical name and either thestructure or an example of it or its source (i.e a rattlesnake, or an oil spill or a lump of uranium

fictional ones can be listed, but only if theyre from tv or a game, and give some info on it..

here are some basic definitions

Organic molecule: refers to any molecule that contains carbon

bioaccumulation; the process of thebuilding up, and storage of a compound within an individual over its lifetime from any source

biomagnification, the increase in concentration of a substance as you go up the food chain, i.e the concentration or amount in a small fish is many times smaller then that of those that feed on it.

Paracelsus theorum, the idea that whether something is bad, or good, depends on the DOSE, or amount taken.
    German: Alle Ding' sind Gift, und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, daß ein Ding kein Gift ist.
    "All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

put simply, this can be taken like the old phrase 'even too much of a good thing is bad for you'

im gonna start the ball with giving information about MeHg or MethylMercury

(proper formula [CH3Hg]+)

this is the cause of the fateful minamata incident

and turns people into johnny depp :P (is the source of the term mad as a hatter)

this is NOT quicksilver i can assure you, and its the reason for mercurys toxic potential,

once in this form it behaves like fat in contact with water and as such when you consume some, it is absobed riht into your fat stores and your cells, and becauseof this, nlike other toxins like arsenic, and salts, your body cant simply pass it through the kidneys and out the other end

This forms this compounds most dangerous attribute, it is a process called bioaccumulation, and magnification. as we all know, tings are eaten by biger things, , and this starts with small algae, bactria and plants, all of these often take in tiny concentraions of this from the water. and once eaten, theyre predators store all this mercury from the flesh of their prey and when they are eaten, they pass it on.. this goes up and up the food chain, and is the most prevalent in watery environments. and on the top of corse are creatures like sharks, bluefin tuna, and other big creatures, where the concentration in their tissues is SEVERAL orders of magnitude higher than that in the water or sediments

and unlike MANY other toxic elements, including lead, arsenic, copper cadmium and cobalt, mercury, so far as weve discovered has NO beneficial concentration in our bodies, and isnt used by any of our enzymes or bodily processes.
    Whereas lead and others are utilized in trace elements, and without them we would perform slightly below par.
    Last edited by the0silent0alchemist; 17-May-2010 at 11:16. Reason: making the thread more of an educational one

Wow, wierd topic, but I guess it could be interesting.

Guess I'd have to go with Ricin if thats how you spell it, but now doctors know what it is and scan for it in shaddy situations.
    Last edited by CarKid; 16-May-2010 at 11:35. Reason: Thanks for the correct spelling mate, ~J

Ishav

Red face

Uhhhhh.... kryptonite!

I am going to have to agree with you:

But may I add that this also counts for other mercurey alkanes and dialkanes, especially dimethylmercury cause dimethylmercury and methylmercury together are the most common appearances of mercury in organisms.

Also, in the atempt of the body to break down mercuryalkanes (remember, when they have entered your body through your intestines, it can't be filtered out by your kidneys) it is changed into dangerous ions that literally rip you cells apart.

Quote Originally Posted by diapersrulez View Post
    I am going to have to agree with you:

But may I add that this also counts for other mercurey alkanes and dialkanes, especially dimethylmercury cause dimethylmercury and methylmercury together are the most common appearances of mercury in organisms.

Also, in the atempt of the body to break down mercuryalkanes (remember, when they have entered your body through your intestines, it can't be filtered out by your kidneys) it is changed into dangerous ions that literally rip you cells apart.
    yeah, your right, mercuries lethality iisnt restricted to just the methyl part. but im listing that one compound and whats bad about it.

does it have to be a poison?
    of everything that can kill you strange matter is my favorite
    that stuff is awsome

is strange matter toxic, (clearly it is deadly) and what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by silent deadly alchemist View Post
    is strange matter toxic, (clearly it is deadly) and what is it?
    strange matter is nothing but this gray goop of matter.
    what makes it deadly is that if it touches regular matter, it turns it into strange matter.

if one atom of strange matter touched the earth, the entire earth would slowly turn into a big ball of strange matter

I guess it depends what the poison is needed for.

For pure killing efficiency I'd have to go with one of the conotoxins derived from marine snails. Rapid onset of paralysis and death. No fighting or suffering.

For something more sinister I'm thinking BSE causing prions. A slow tortuous way to go with few treatment options.