Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a gaming tv

Default Need a gaming tv

So I'm finally getting a ps3, and I need a tv in my bedroom to go along with it. I know like nothing about televisions so I turn to you guys for some help. From what I gathered, I'm gonna want something in the 20's inch range thats 720p so its not super expensive but decent enough?

I can pretty much only get from Amazon. Thanks.

im not an expert but I do have an idea, a 19 in HDMI compatible tv with an RGB input (so you can also have a high definition computer monitor) here is the link to the model I was thinking of

LC320EMX

these go on sale at walmart for real cheap like 100-170 is about how much this will cost.

the TV accepts 480i 480p 720p and 1080i video signals

RGB != High Definition. In fact, it actually looks worse because its transmitted in analog, and must be converted by the TV. However, if you get one with multiple HDMI inputs, DVI is compatible with HDMI. all you need is a HDMI - DVI cable. Also, since PS3 supports 1080p, you should get a 1080p television. That way, if you get a Blu-Ray disc, or a game that runs in 1080p, there won't be any picture degradation due to downscaling. My rule of thumb is to try and match the output to the input, because every time you have to manipulate the picture it degrades. Think of it like making a photocopy of a photocopy.

IMO a 19"-26" old school TV would work best. There will be no screen lag, ghosting. Also the smaller TV makes it easy to everything.

Games are made in 720p because it will support higher frame rates that 1080p. So its unlikely to find a game in 1080p. An TV's that support 1080p cost allot more than TV's that support just 1080i, an be the same screen size an quality.

Depending on what type of games you plain on playing. Like RPG's or FPS's. I would highly suggest a small screen, with a very low respond rate.

I have seen 32in lcd non led going for like 300$ on some wicked good sales. The vizio's seem to be doing well here, we have 2 32in led-lcd and a 47in led lcd from them and they all work great.

Well, I don't know if the PS3 can do this, but I have a VGA cable for my 360. The monitor it's hooked up to is pretty awesome, it's an old school CRT computer monitor, but the color is amazing, and since it's a smaller screen and at a kind of high resolution, it looks crystal clear. I think it's comparable to how the 360 looks on our 46" 1080i TV downstairs.

Edit: 333rd post!
    Last edited by Gaius; 15-May-2010 at 11:33.

Get an old CRT. May not be "High-Def" but shit, my 32" CRT still serves me fine and its 9 years old. I work for technical support and see these new fangled LCD's failing after 1-2 years, needing panel replacements, motherboards, etc.. Honestly when it comes to TV's, if I can see the picture from across the room, I'm happy. I've got mine calibrated so it looks like an HDTV, but its not

pamperchu

Get a CRT Barco projector. They rock.

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    Get a CRT Barco projector. They rock.
    I would love a HD projector, but the light blubs die rather quickly and are crazy expensive.. Why don't they have LED blubs for projectors?

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    RGB != High Definition. In fact, it actually looks worse because its transmitted in analog, and must be converted by the TV. However, if you get one with multiple HDMI inputs, DVI is compatible with HDMI. all you need is a HDMI - DVI cable. Also, since PS3 supports 1080p, you should get a 1080p television. That way, if you get a Blu-Ray disc, or a game that runs in 1080p, there won't be any picture degradation due to downscaling. My rule of thumb is to try and match the output to the input, because every time you have to manipulate the picture it degrades. Think of it like making a photocopy of a photocopy.
    He menioned 20" as a size. Good luck finding a 1080p tv at that size. None of the stores here sell any. I'm sure the Internet will provide but for purchases like TVs, I still prefer the pay and take home method of a shop, than the pay, wait a week of the Internet. And seeing the TV in action is the best tell of quality. Numbers aren't everything, as the picture on my 1440x900 TV is hugely better than on my mum's 1680x1050 laptop screen.