Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public baby changing rooms

Default public baby changing rooms

Have you ever changed in a public baby changing room?

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by babymax View Post
    Have you ever changed in a public baby changing room?
    Say, Baby Max, have you posted your introduction to all of us here at ADISC? The statistics so far does not show such a post.

Perhaps rest rooms are different in your country. Here in the USA virtually all public ladies rooms have infant changing facilities, as do quite a few men's rest rooms. I am profoundly urinary incontinent, so I change in public ladies rooms more than once each weekday. Having changed myself for so many years I do not need to use the larger family or handicap rest rooms.

Back when I was growing up hardly any restaurants had handicap rest rooms. Mom considered it lucky when a ladies room had a counter large enough to serve as a changing table. When Mom found those ladies rooms she made a note, so the next time we wanted a restaurant or store in that area we would go there.

I suppose the American equivalent is probably the "family restroom". While not common at restaurants, you tend to see them in public places that are designed for a lot of people... airports and Disneyland come to mind. I have not been in one, but I'm always dying to.

Olivia

Most changing tables cannot support a full grown adult without them holding it up, as they're designed for babies not anyone else.

It's no problem to change a wet diaper in a regular public restroom. However, if your diaper his really dirty I find it very difficult to change standing up. In Germany many shopping malls feature separate rooms for parents to change their babys in. Some of them are even well equipped and feature a changing table with pad, tissues, baby diapers and so on. Some of these baby changing rooms you can lock, others you can't. By now I have changed myself in such rooms a couple of times, but only in such you can lock. Once, when I stepped out, a mother and her baby were already waiting outside. When she asked me what I've been doing in there I just told her I'd been changing clothes and all was fine.

The problem with restrooms for disabled people is that they are often locked and require asking for a key. I have often wondered why that is but still don't know.

Elli

Certainly in the Uk (possibly in Germany and elsewhere) many disabled accessable toilets are locked and are opened with a 'Radar' key. According to the website that sells these keys, this is to prevent vandalism and misuse.

I don't use the changing benches, no. Not even the adult ones (if I had a key). If ever I change in a public toilet, I do so in a cubicle, standing up. No probs.

not really, their meant for babys. i usually change in a normal rest room but ive changed my 9 year old brother (hes got bladder issues) in a baby changing room a few times. they seem alright for a big kid lol
    Last edited by BabyNaruto; 14-May-2010 at 17:17.

Always fun, although of course it's important to respect the shockable public. Jetblue or Delta at Logan airport in Boston have the best I've ever seen - you could move into one of their changing rooms. They're at least 12' x 20' with plenty of counter space for a big baby. Some family rooms are great. My biggest dare was using the Universal studios Florda nursery - padded changing tables! Nice.

I have used family retsrooms in many malls, etc. Normally private room that can lock. Sometimes you have to ask a mall staff to get a key access. For he most part, people will not say anything and if you are quick, all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    Certainly in the Uk (possibly in Germany and elsewhere) many disabled accessable toilets are locked and are opened with a 'Radar' key. According to the website that sells these keys, this is to prevent vandalism and misuse.

I don't use the changing benches, no. Not even the adult ones (if I had a key). If ever I change in a public toilet, I do so in a cubicle, standing up. No probs.
    I have a Radar key, they are real easy to get hold of