Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my webserver?

Default Help me with my webserver?

I have an HP P6267C as my Webserver (Intel C2Q, 8GB, 750GB, Vista) and just had a hard-drive failure. Thinking about loading Seven on it.. Any other suggestions? I use Apache for hosting.. Have a host of other applications too (Vbulletin being the only major one) and would like to see if anyone suggest a different operating system, and has an ideas on configuring it.. New drive's on its way from HP.. should have it tomorrow morning..

Vista or Seven as server os

Your best bet would be to look at a Linux based OS here are a couple of recommendations:

CentOS - www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System
    Ubuntu - Ubuntu Server Edition | Ubuntu

Out of the two I would choose Ubuntu at the moment as it has a far small footprint. Your could also look at the likes of FreeBSD etc though I have never used them myself.

With CentOS you should choose not to install the desktop packages(GUI), just use the CLI and/or SSH. With the Ubuntu version above, you have no choice but to use the CLI and/or SSH. Installing a GUI is just a waste of space and resources that could be used elsewhere.

To make managing them easier I would recommend

Webmin - Webmin (Ubuntu uses the Debian package, CentOS uses the RPM package)

This allows you to configure pretty much every component on a Linux OS including Apache, MySQL, BIND, Postfix etc etc etc.

If you don't know Linux... it's time to learn! It's the way forward!!

Dude, linux has probably the best, most stable OS build's, but unless you know how to code in linux, or want to spend weeks of your time figuring out how too, just stick with windows. Given 7 home/ultimate isnt designed for dedicated server tasks, it will still do it fine for what you using for, if you can afford (or "obtain" in some way) a server edition, that would be your best bet, but keep in mind, if you havn't used one before, your gonna have to take time learning how...

Best for a server technology - a server operating system.
    Prefer Apache? Linux is your answer. Some good builds have already been mentioned.
    Prefer a UI managed web solution? Use a windows server OS with IIS.

Yes, I definetly prefer a UI-Based Environment.. I use this server also for remotely acessing my friend's PC's via Teamviewer to help them with tech support issues as well.. Definetly going for Windows, I appreciate the assistance.. I am probably going to dual-boot W7 and Ubuntu Server Edition and mess around with it for about 24 hours (configured my i7 NB to serve as my webserver for now.. but that thing will get hot if I keep it in my closet)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    I have an HP P6267C as my Webserver (Intel C2Q, 8GB, 750GB, Vista) and just had a hard-drive failure. Thinking about loading Seven on it.. Any other suggestions? I use Apache for hosting.. Have a host of other applications too (Vbulletin being the only major one) and would like to see if anyone suggest a different operating system, and has an ideas on configuring it.. New drive's on its way from HP.. should have it tomorrow morning..
    It was so not a hard drive failure man ;P

hehe *tease*

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    It was so not a hard drive failure man ;P

hehe *tease*

lol, c'mon with my Vista lolz. It's on Seven now, and actually still in the process of reloading the 30+ programs I use to manage my sites..

Then reloading all of my data.. what a pain in the ass.. Hard-drive works fine now - HP's overnight shipping pwns..

Do yourself a BIG favor and get norton ghost 15.0. Let's you image your system partition and all your programs, so when you have to reinstall you can use an image that already has your apps on it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbravo2 View Post
    Do yourself a BIG favor and get norton ghost 15.0. Let's you image your system partition and all your programs, so when you have to reinstall you can use an image that already has your apps on it!!!
    Best suggestion so far. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this. Grrr. The fact I am using Norton Antivirus as I speak.. >>,<<

I am picking up a copy tomorrow from my local Compusa..

Quote Originally Posted by macmon View Post
    Best for a server technology - a server operating system.
    Prefer Apache? Linux is your answer. Some good builds have already been mentioned.
    Prefer a UI managed web solution? Use a windows server OS with APACHE FRIENDS XAMPP
    there, fixed.

and remember kids 'n kiddies, using iis, is kinda like stabbing yourself, and your friends in the eye (prefferrably both), and then, laughing maniacally, and hysterically, while they slowly die an agonizing death.

as honestly, just like mickeysoft their nice live-cashcow, it lacks userfriendlyness, it lacks design, and most of all, your visitors will be mostly greeted, by an unfriendly errormessage, with a completely non sensemaking errormessage, which makes less sense, than trying to decypher, some heavily DRM-handicaped code, ms-dos editor :/

and yeah, i personally turn away, when a site refuses to load, and then gives me some kinda unhelpful message, which heavily shows off the lack of any form of brains, by the guy who set it up

as all i want, when i get an error, is a simple blank page, and in big chars the errorcode, and an additional helpful text, like in example

http 500 Internal server error
    =========================================

some webserver - versionnumber - os - and/or any other things related
    and not like this

the page you was looking for has not been found

actually this was an error created by the httpd, who was too slow to complete yer request, as the deamon was being overused.

since we force you to adhere to middle age specifications of websites

you can press that nice and shitty icon, that makes no sense

just to fiund out that its not your browser, that is the problem

but the shitfaced cocksucker who was too lame, to put on a real mans webserver, and instead resorted to this piece of shit

since we from the iis team, dont give a simgle goddamned fuck, that you are using a non MS browser

we kindly force our retarded and mismade errorpage trough your throat.

have a happy day after this, or prolly not.

the webserver that sucks, (and so does the admin..)

<off-topic>

yea i know, a long thready post, but if you've read trough it, you'll hopefully feel just as happy as i felt, by releaseing the anger, that has been plaguing me, since the days i started to use a non-ie6 browser (may you rest in a landfill thou inbred fork of the trident renderengine...)

</offtopic>