Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else remember when girls would wear pacifiers as fashion items?

Default Does anyone else remember when girls would wear pacifiers as fashion items?

I have this vague memory about 10 years ago that I'd seen pictures somewhere of girls with paci's in their mouths as some sort of fashion item. Then I was reading elsewhere that alluded to it in passing.

Does anyone remember anything like this or is this just some complicated memory my mind made up in an attempt to rationalize something as normal?

I do remember this too. Real late 90's. I was in high school then. It as a hold over from the rave scene that was big around that time if I remember right.

At some club parties, parades and carnivals girls and guys like to wear this particular pacifier with glowing flashing lights on. Have you heard of that?

No can't say I've seen that but, I don't get many chances to go to clubs or parties.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
    At some club parties, parades and carnivals girls and guys like to wear this particular pacifier with glowing flashing lights on. Have you heard of that?
    No I can't say I've seen that, but I don't get many chances to go to parties/clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolyn View Post
    I do remember this too. Real late 90's. I was in high school then. It as a hold over from the rave scene that was big around that time if I remember right.
    Hmm I might ask some friends I know if they've ever seen people doing that at clubs as they go fairly frequently... wonder what if feels like to use a paci while rolling =p

They still do that.. however it wasn't a piece of fashion it was drug paraphernalia. The pacifiers took off at rave parties where Ecstasy (the drug) was sold and used. The pacifiers which are normally pretty damn hard are used to keep the drug user from biting their tongue and damaging there teeth though excessive grinding. However some girls considered this look to be cool, or just wanted to flaunt they go to raves. I worked as a vendor at a rave in downtown San Fransisco a few years ago during "Love Fest" and people paid well over 30 dollars for these hard as rock pacifiers. Then again they also paid 45 dollars for tiny LED lights that strobe.

This is why some middle and high schools banned pacifiers, and I think some still do. Since it has to do with the raver scene which can involving drugs, underage drinking and other illegal actives.

Guess you answered most of my questions right there...

Were they modified with special "harder" nipples or is there some company out there that makes them specifically for this purpose?

Aye,... Rave junk.

Back then it was all the hype (the rave-scene)... never could have bothered as I was more of a "rock & Roll", "hard Roc k & metal" type guy... that synthetic monotonic repetitions of loud boom-bass-sound didn't touch my soul the tiniest little bit - and neither did chicks with pacifiers (still does not work for me these days...)...

I don't know but it was just some "hip" thing and I don't assume there were any "AB-Ideas" behind the whole show. Well you never know...
    it's abit like those "diaper web-shots" where you see some college or whatever girls in a "happy-mood" wearing diapers (mostly cheap store brands) and doing something silly.

born in the eighties... ... to some (ex-) hippie-flower-power-type parents and was raised to the tunes of led zeppelin & co...
    Saw the rise and fall of the rave scene - as many of my friends were shit-deep into it... and a handful didn't make it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffypop45 View Post
    Guess you answered most of my questions right there...

Were they modified with special "harder" nipples or is there some company out there that makes them specifically for this purpose?
    they weren't modded at all.. they are made in china I think from some shitty factory for a equally shitty company.. they are designed to be hard, and for good reason. They also were never meant for a baby I think.

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone wear one IRL that I can remember and I have a couple of friends that go to clubs where a lot of people are doing MDMA. Guess if I ever have one fall out of a bag or something I could pass it off with that excuse.

I do actually remember several girls in my high school, probably about 10 years ago, who decided pacifiers were cool, and several had then and would use them.

Don't think it lasted very long though!!