Thread: psp irc

Cool psp irc

if anyone could figure out a way that i could get on irc chat using my psp that would be great o.o

Not gonna happen. xD Psp doesn't support Java, I don't think? xD

Maybe a homebrew app if you have CF.

CGI IRC should work, presuming it's still allowed in #adisc, and Mibbit might work, but it doesn't work well on my iPod Touch, so might not be worth your while on a PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post

you don't need java for IRC...

I got a homebrew IRC on my Nintendo DS using a flash cart. http://www.dragonminded.com/dsorgani...itle=Main_Page
    It should be 100% possible for the PSP to have its own IRC cilent,

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post

it does, you can load mibbit from from the webbrowser, but it hangs somewhere in between the loading, and then just kinda hangs, while the psp complains about a lack of free mem :/

or at least, thats what happened when i tried to run it while sitting in the starbucks to fight boredom

Quote Originally Posted by claudy View Post
    it does, you can load mibbit from from the webbrowser, but it hangs somewhere in between the loading, and then just kinda hangs, while the psp complains about a lack of free mem :/

or at least, thats what happened when i tried to run it while sitting in the starbucks to fight boredom
    Mibbit is Javascript not Java. Despite the similar names they have as much in common as cats and catfish.

I've tried cgiirc on my psp aaages ago, didn't work at all. Dunno about mibbit, but I doubt it. Your best bet is getting custom firmware and getting a homebrew app... I think I've done that once or twice before. But, it's fairly complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    Mibbit is Javascript not Java. Despite the similar names they have as much in common as cats and catfish.

they just happen to be both as fail, crashing and slow,
    as opposed to other, NON-memoryhogging, handicaped by default programming languages

Quote Originally Posted by claudy View Post
    they just happen to be both as fail, crashing and slow,
    as opposed to other, NON-memoryhogging, handicaped by default programming languages
    Javascript is not "fail", crashing, or slow, unless you are using IE. Or old versions of other browsers. Javascript's performance, memory usage, and stability depend entirely on your browser.

Java is not inherently slow either. It's certainly faster than PHP, which powers the adisc forums.

And of course, like every other language, bad apps can be written in them. In fact, it's far easier to make a app that crashes with C++, which is the language most of your desktop programs are programmed in. Which is a particular problem for Javascript because of it's accessibility to new coders.

So, how about you name some examples of crashing or slow Javascript or Java apps?

Now here's some examples of non-crashing Javascript apps (all of these also have a server backend written in something else, but everything interactive in the user facing end is mostly written in Javascript):

Gmail. Meebo's web messenger. Mibbit. Twitter. Facebook. Google Docs. Any halfway decent interactive web page, other than those written in Flash. Even simple things, like the drop down menus for search on adisc need Javascript.

Java is harder to find examples of, because it's mainly used for internal apps (which are often crap, regardless of the platform), dumbphone software (ditto), and server side apps (which you don't actually see).