Thread: General public's perception of diaper wearers

Default General public's perception of diaper wearers

Lately I've been thinking more extensively about diaper wearing, and specifically about what the general non-diaper-wearing public knows or might care about. I wear diapers regularly for urge incontinence, and I will change my diaper during the day whenever and wherever necessary. I'm very discreet and I do not wish to call attention to the fact that I wear diapers, but at the same time, I'm not ashamed of it at all. I know there have been times when other people in a public restroom could have seen me in a stall changing myself... but then I think... Who would REALLY look? THAT would be creepy, not the fact that a grown man is changing his diaper in the stall.

Anyway, my point is that while I'm private and discreet, I also would like the public to know that people like me exist. I do not "look" like someone who needs to wear diapers... I'm young, athletic, active, and not disabled. I am not the stereotype of what people might think of an adult who wears a diaper. So if someone sees that I wearing one, I hope it would educate them in a way... that they would think... "Hmmm, that young, 'normal-looking' guy is wearing a diaper. I guess some people like him must have to." This is what I would like them to think, as opposed to... "Jeez, who's that sick pervert changing his diaper in the bathroom?"

Do any of you think along these lines? Even those of you who are just DLs, I'd love to hear what you think about the general social awareness of adult diaper wearers.

As long as your use of diapers in interactions with the public are appropriate and discreet, perversion will be the last thing on anyone's mind. This means you're treating your diaper wearing on par with any other bathroom function, so there's very little chance of anyone knowing who isn't in a public restroom with you and then only if they're attentive and putting things together.

On the other hand, if you walk down the street in babyprint short-talls with bonnet and a big puffy crotch, people are going to be freaked out. It's all about how you present this. If you don't make an issue out of it, the expectation will be that it's for legitimate need whether or not it happens to be. My very high level of caution wearing diapers around anyone I know is not because I think they would assume that I am getting off on wearing them but because if discovered, I'd have to pretend to have a disability that I don't and no part of that is anything I care to share with someone who isn't involved or with whom I'm intimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    As long as your use of diapers in interactions with the public are appropriate and discreet, perversion will be the last thing on anyone's mind. This means you're treating your diaper wearing on par with any other bathroom function, so there's very little chance of anyone knowing who isn't in a public restroom with you and then only if they're attentive and putting things together.

On the other hand, if you walk down the street in babyprint short-talls with bonnet and a big puffy crotch, people are going to be freaked out. It's all about how you present this. If you don't make an issue out of it, the expectation will be that it's for legitimate need whether or not it happens to be. My very high level of caution wearing diapers around anyone I know is not because I think they would assume that I am getting off on wearing them but because if discovered, I'd have to pretend to have a disability that I don't and no part of that is anything I care to share with someone who isn't involved or with whom I'm intimate.

TREVOR!!!!

You know, before I first found out about the DL community... I was completely blind to it. I figured diapers were only for the extremely old, extremely young, and people that were disabled. It wasn't till my boyfriend told me that he was a DL that I had reason to think otherwise. I now study fettishes... sort of as a hobby and because I'm curious about how many of them there are... and since I've known my boyfriend... I've come across other people IRL that have similar ab/dl interests. If I didn't know about diaper fettishes, I wouldn't assume that anybody had one, but since I know what I do... if I happened to notice a young athletic person wearing one, I'd just politely ponder to myself if they were wearing for a medical reason or just doing it for fun.

secretdl26

Quote Originally Posted by matrix36 View Post
    TREVOR!!!!
    Keep your fetishes to yourself.

There is no need to express your inner feelings and desires to the extent at which it disturbs others around you. While you may feel that someone should tolerate that level of expression, I feel something like that is best kept to yourself, or at least to those know you well in that respect.

I completely agree with Trevor.

As a DL I know there is a distinct time and place for diapers and other such stuff, in public is not one of these.

Sorry to stray so far, but to the OP, I think that presenting yourself as an average adult who needs to wear diapers is the best you can do. Doing your best to not draw attention to yourself in that respect shows that you can get beyond what others may think about that small part of you. The creep is the guy staring at you, not the person who's changing in the stall.

Quote Originally Posted by abenaguy247 View Post
    Lately I've been thinking more extensively about diaper wearing, and specifically about what the general non-diaper-wearing public knows or might care about. I wear diapers regularly for urge incontinence, and I will change my diaper during the day whenever and wherever necessary. I'm very discreet and I do not wish to call attention to the fact that I wear diapers, but at the same time, I'm not ashamed of it at all. I know there have been times when other people in a public restroom could have seen me in a stall changing myself... but then I think... Who would REALLY look? THAT would be creepy, not the fact that a grown man is changing his diaper in the stall.

Anyway, my point is that while I'm private and discreet, I also would like the public to know that people like me exist. I do not "look" like someone who needs to wear diapers... I'm young, athletic, active, and not disabled. I am not the stereotype of what people might think of an adult who wears a diaper. So if someone sees that I wearing one, I hope it would educate them in a way... that they would think... "Hmmm, that young, 'normal-looking' guy is wearing a diaper. I guess some people like him must have to." This is what I would like them to think, as opposed to... "Jeez, who's that sick pervert changing his diaper in the bathroom?"

Do any of you think along these lines? Even those of you who are just DLs, I'd love to hear what you think about the general social awareness of adult diaper wearers.
    While I agree with what you have said I have to say that the general public doesn't care if you do/don't wear a diaper. For nearly everyone else diapers don't even enter their head on a regular basis. Even then it will 99.9% of the time be in relation to baby diapers, I think as long as you present yourself as functioning and respectable member of society people won't give a second thought to the diapers. So just be the best you can be and don't overthink about public acceptance, they honestly couldn't care less.

And I agree with Trevor, keep the fetish to bedroom. By forcing it on others you come across negatively, while public acceptance would be lovely forcing it onto them will only make things worse in the long run. Frankly they don't need to know.

Butterfly Mage

I agree with the others on this one. There's a HUGE difference between wearing diapers in the same way others wear underwear versus being "in your face" by purposefully showing your diapers to others (like wearing shorts that are so small that one's diapers are clearly visible or by wearing obviously juveline clothing purchased from a fetish clothier).

There are a LOT more incontinent people than ABDL people. Nobody gets offended at people with incontinence. Nearly everyone gets offended by ABDL practices thrown in their faces.

One time a few years ago, there was a guy in the locker room at the gym, changing himself right there on the bench. (Whether he was a DL or incontinent I have no clue.) Still, I thought to myself... "Jeez, that's ballsy... Does everyone really need to see that?" Personally, I always go to the stall to change... seems a lot less obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by abenaguy247 View Post
    One time a few years ago, there was a guy in the locker room at the gym, changing himself right there on the bench. (Whether he was a DL or incontinent I have no clue.) Still, I thought to myself... "Jeez, that's ballsy... Does everyone really need to see that?"
    I think it is more disrespectful than ballsy. No one needed to see that whether he was a DL or incontinent, he probably made other people uncomfortable by forcing them to see that. Frankly he should have gone into a stall and done it in privacy.