Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Abena abri-form x-plus changed?

Default Has Abena abri-form x-plus changed?

A few weeks ago I finally decided I'm going to step into the realm of the "better" diaper bracket. I started using depend, into tena, then into Prevail PM (which was actually quite good for the price of 16 for $10). I read and read and came down to Abena x-plus vs bambino. Effectively it came down to the difference of $3 (darn shipping) so I elected to go with Abena.

The first thing I said after it came out of the box / package in regards to the Abena was (serious quote) "damn that's thick." I was really surprised. Eager to try them out, I did my usual trial by fire, Panera with unlimited refills while working on something superfluous (homework, etc). Well I was quite impressed by capacity, the front really does swell. But then I noticed it didn't really fill, like get hardened, something I rather enjoyed from my previous Prevail PM's. Though after doing some more post-test reading, I'm guessing this is a result of the lack of SAP and the amount of wood pulp? Continuing on, before I changed, I tested press out, and a little did come out, but it didn't feel like there was much keeping it in the padding, like it was just the leak barriers left to the task, do the abena's not convert the contents to the ideal gel? Another difference to the SAP vs wold pulp? And then once I took it off, I was a bit surprised by the padding's crumpling, something I thought diapers of this bracket weren't supposed to do. Lastly, the plastic itself didn't feel of a high quality...not saying it's poor plastic, but it wasn't explicitly sturdy either. Has anyone noticed this lately? I'm courious if a change recently happened as I read some much (albeit aged) posts and reviews saying how good Abena is. One prop in it's favor though, definitely acquisition time. I'm down to 5 or 6 left of my pack of 14 so it definitely wasn't a one-diaper flaw.

Edit: Forgot one more factor after I got out of bed. Smell containment. Maybe I've been spoiled for years with prevail PM (it hardened so I'm assuming that meant the presence of SAP) never having odour issues, but with the Abena it is rather noticeable when I go pantless. And when I take it off, the smell still comes off my skin (which still feels somewhat damp), assumably from unabsorbed urine? Is this another factor of the wood pulp design? Has anyone else noticed this from recent orders?
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-May-2010 at 13:42. Reason: Forgot one more factor

Yeah, it's because of the high wood pulp to SAP ratio. Benefits of the high wood pulp content: quick wetness acquisition and excellent wicking abilities. It also feels softer and fluffier, though this may be a personal preference thing. Disadvantages: moisture will press out of over-saturated pulp, the pulp will break apart with movement, it is not as good as SAP for smell containment, and if the diaper is really saturated you will feel the wetness against your skin.

I honestly like that the Abenas don't get hard like other diapers with a higher SAP content. I find Abenas more comfortable because they don't get all inflexible when wet. Also, I find that more of the diaper is used before a change is needed because moisture is wicked throughout the entire diaper. With high-SAP diapers (like Bambinos), I find that moisture tends to clump up in one place and then leaks will happen (usually around the leg gathers) before the padding is fully used.

As for the plastic, I don't care how thick it feels to the touch, so long as it holds up while in use (I've never had a problem with an Abena's plastic splitting, though apparently some people have).

Picking a diaper with high SAP vs. high wood pulp content is pretty much down to personal preference; they both have their benefits & disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Yeah, it's because of the high wood pulp to SAP ratio. Benefits of the high wood pulp content: quick wetness acquisition and excellent wicking abilities. It also feels softer and fluffier, though this may be a personal preference thing. Disadvantages: moisture will press out of over-saturated pulp, the pulp will break apart with movement, it is not as good as SAP for smell containment, and if the diaper is really saturated you will feel the wetness against your skin.

I honestly like that the Abenas don't get hard like other diapers with a higher SAP content. I find Abenas more comfortable because they don't get all inflexible when wet. Also, I find that more of the diaper is used before a change is needed because moisture is wicked throughout the entire diaper. With high-SAP diapers (like Bambinos), I find that moisture tends to clump up in one place and then leaks will happen (usually around the leg gathers) before the padding is fully used.

As for the plastic, I don't care how thick it feels to the touch, so long as it holds up while in use (I've never had a problem with an Abena's plastic splitting, though apparently some people have).

Picking a diaper with high SAP vs. high wood pulp content is pretty much down to personal preference; they both have their benefits & disadvantages.
    I like how the first initial wettings of a Bambino will make the material swell up into a clump of something hard in between your legs. Then if you keep wetting, it gets squishy. I like that! I really dislike with Abenas when you overwet, it'll squish out like you said.

There should be a stickied diaper brand buying guide with the SAP / Pulp contents listed!

The X-Plusses were better and had more sap than the current M-4 line.

Nam, sodo you affirm there was a recent change existing the discrepancy on what I read to what I experienced?

I use Abena M4 Mediums for practical daily and and overnite use. Never has a problem come up. I prefer them to molicare super plus even since the renaming to m4 from Super X-plus. Bambinos do not seem to be for those looking for a real incontinence solution, but rather cater to ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimin View Post
    Nam, sodo you affirm there was a recent change existing the discrepancy on what I read to what I experienced?
    Eh? That's a bit cryptic. I confirm that the Abena M-4s that replaced the old X-Plus have less SAP vs pulp, do not hold as much before "press out" and the lining clumps & shifts more. I took comparison pictures and weighed both, (X-Plus heavier), I'm too busy to post them as yet but the results are the "new and improved" are worse for the end user, or the user's end, then the original.
    All that said their still good diapers, better than any others I've tried as of yet and I've been through a lot. I hope to try Bambinos and Dry 24/7 this summer.

Sorry, yeah..looking back to that...that's a poor example of English. What I was trying to ask you if you did notice that the M4s/x-pluses of late aren't as good as before. The "before" in reference to the period of time of the high reviews and many recommendations that I read. But as you said already, "worse for the end user, or the user's end, then the original."

Without a doubt they are good, in raw absorbency for an incontinent person I would probably settle for Abena as they are now. I ordered a pack of Bambinos since I last posted and I think I'm going to shift to them. Having the sap of a Bambino fixed the shortcomings I was having.

Yeah they sure have changed. They changed the shape, size, & plastic. I have not noticed much difference in the absorbency but there is a difference. I wrote to the company & XP medical where I buy them to complain. XP med was awesome & actually hunted down the last old style they had & sent me there last package for free.
    I use the M1's & I found that they are a bit tighter on me than the old supers. The M2's fit better but are a bit to bulky for me to be in all day. I have not tried out the new M4's yet but hope to soon. I am on the hunt to find a better diaper than Abenas but I have not found one yet that beats there fit, absorbency, comfort, or price.

Yeah, I just tried Abena for the first time! O.O I've been stuck with Depends for years now and I finally got the chance to order online brands.

I was very pleased to see that the place I ordered from got the package to me within a day-and-a-half! :3 Though... something was different...
    When I ordered them online, the site showed the average Abriform X-plus Pack design... but mine looked different and was labeled "M4." Which I keep seeing in this topic especially. That, and the design labels on the diaper itself were different and had swirly patterns... which I actually thought were pretty cool lookin'! :>

I don't know... last night (plus this morning) was my first try for ANY brand from ordering online. I thought they were great!! I've never been in something so THICK it was amazing. X3 I did have some issues though... >.>; there was one point where I sat down on the floor and a hole ripped in the back! D: I easily fixed it with some tape but I was very surprised after hearing about this brand for so long and how great it is! The padding itself really swelled up just from going a bit. o-o Which is awesome, but later it broke a bit and began to separate a little... not as much as other brands though. >.> And it took a long while before it even happened too, which was right before I changed.

I tested the diaper to a FULL usage... and it seemed to do good! :3 It felt allot different though from DERPends (not my joke) but I hope to try them out even more when I get to cub-out again! This first one may have had some issues, but overall I thought it was the best diaper I ever wore! XD I just don't really know what the difference is between "M4" and the others... are there a bunch of different kinds of X-Pluses?