Thread: Question about a dog....

Question Question about a dog....

First off i know this is unrelated to the rest of this site, but thats why it in the off-topic section! Anyways, I was thinking about getting a siberian husky because they have the perfect personality, but the only problem is that I l know they were bred to be in the snow, but I live in the desert where is stays between 100 and 110 (f) all day and about 80 at night in the summer. So what do you think, is it possible to have one if its inside all day and only goes out at night??

I don't know that much about dogs but I do think an animal that was suppose to live in cold or cooler climates would be stressed out in higher temps.

How would you like to be in a fur sleeper without a way to take it off for the summer, I don't think you would be very happy.....

Quote Originally Posted by turtleie View Post
    is it possible to have one if its inside all day and only goes out at night??
    I'd say the heat is less of a worry than having a dog like that live inside most of the time. Unless you have a big house and lots of space outside for it to run around, a large breed of dog might not be suited to you. It's possible that a large dog could be happy if you were willing to devote plenty of time for long walks, but generally if you're planning on keeping your dog inside most of the time it might be best to have a breed which requires less exercize. Getting a dog is a big responsibility and I wish you luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsendo View Post
    I'd say the heat is less of a worry than having a dog like that live inside most of the time. Unless you have a big house and lots of space outside for it to run around, a large breed of dog might not be suited to you. It's possible that a large dog could be happy if you were willing to devote plenty of time for long walks, but generally if you're planning on keeping your dog inside most of the time it might be best to have a breed which requires less exercize. Getting a dog is a big responsibility and I wish you luck on your search.
    This is good dog advice in my opinion. It's important to remember that a dog is more than an aesthetic choice of what you'd like to look at it's its own being that's going to have to deal with the environment you provide. Siberian Huskies are beautiful animals but they're ideally suited to colder climes and very active lifestyles. Obviously you can do as you like but my family's experience has been great with mutts. They're cheaper, often much healthier, and the quality of love an companionship is identical. Best of luck making a good choice

thanks! We were looking for a dog becuase our pitbull/boxer mixed just passed away a few months ago

Not just any Siberian Husky will have the 'perfect' personality. If you want a dog with a certain personality, look for one like it at your local animal shelter. You'll save a life, and get a cheaper, healthier pet.

As for the heat question: I, myself, have the natural body temperature near a dog's (100F) and I know that even 80F is way too hot for me. But if you get a dog that's adapted to that and has the right body type (short-coated and lean, like a greyhound) then they can very well be suited to desert life. In fact, that's a great idea! Retired racing dogs make GREAT pets. Met a few, and all they did was cuddle and play with me! But, it all depends on the dog, not the breed. Remember that. In nature vs. nurture, nurture usually wins. Hence why most all pit bulls aren't malicious fighters despite being 'bred' for that.

Really if you live anywhere in the south, I strongly recommend against getting a heavy-coated dog such as Huskies or Malamutes. They may be beautiful, and have loving personalities, but without tons of exercise and the proper climate they'll get behavioral issues (such as destructive habits like chewing on furniture out of boredom and stress), as well as actual medical issues. Dogs like those are prone to overheating, which is a major concern in hot places. Remember: they're bred to pull sleds in the snow and such, not run around the desert.

American Kennel Club - The Right Dog For You

Great information there, all over the site. Definitely worth looking at.

thanks! that site had alot of good info... I guess I just need to get a dog that can hadle the heat, end of story.

Good thing to do is read through the AKC site--lots of info. Big dogs are not necessarily needing more space or exercise; we have Great Danes in our family (two right now, beautiful blues) and they are actually good apartment dogs! Yes, I said that one of the world's largest dogs makes a good apartment dog! Being that large, it doesn't like to move around and run a lot, so it doesn't need space, they only need 30-45min of exercise a day. They sleep the rest of the time.

Other things to look at: Size of dog versus attitude. If you want a dog that tends to be mellow, go for a larger breed dog. Smaller dogs are higher strung and more prone to biting, larger dogs are easier around children and put up with more physical interaction before getting upset. We have a six-year-old and she can do almost anything to our dogs and dot get them upset.

One of our dogs is female, just past ten years and probably won't last much longer (we've had her for nine years now) and our other dog is a puppy still, at only nine months old. They weigh in at 135lbs and 110lbs each. We got the puppy shortly before we lost a Dane mix that we had for 10 1/2 years to cancer, just a few days before Thanksgiving.

Of course all the things I said about dogs are all generalities, there will always be an exception to the rule, one out of the group who does not fit the profile. Take the time to play with the dog and get comfortable before you take them home with you.

My brother and his girlfriend have a huskey and they shaved it to cut down on the hair when she sheds but that also helped the dog; this is Florida where it's hot most of the year.