Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited Editions - Badass, or just plain bad?

Default Limited Editions - Badass, or just plain bad?

Today, I put $50 on my Halo Reach - Legendary Edition pre-order.

Heh, I know Halo bashing seems to be popular with a few people here, so I hope it does not make me too much of a pariah when I say that I do enjoy playing those games very much. Not so much multiplayer (but then again, I play multiplayer on very few games to begin with), but I do love the story mode very much. Before anybody comes here and tells me I'm wasting my money, I feel somewhat obliged to say that everybody has their guilty pleasures. Everybody, without exceptions, even you. :P

The Legendary Edition is probably more than just a bit overkill, but who here has never spent money on something as silly as this before?

Personally, I think getting my hands on this will be very badass.

I also own the Bioshock 2 Limited Edition - and I still have not gotten around to playing the actual game yet. Having it is badass, but having it (and actually picking it up at the midnight release) and still not having gotten around to playing it - that's just plain bad.

I own the limited editions of Gears of War 2 and Oblivion, as well as the Hardened Edition of Modern Warfare 2. Hmmm, maybe I should spend more time playing the games I already have instead of spending more cash on new games - like the limited edition Alan Wake that comes out in a couple of weeks from now (which is completely paid for at this point).

So, are limited editions badass - or are they just plain bad?

I don't care for the Halo Legendary edition because you're paying about $80 extra for a statue. The only other thing you get is the recon armor but running around with a helmet on fire just makes you look like a easy target and a Bungie sucker.

The only limited edition I ever cared for was Bioshock 2 because of the LP it came with. That to me is priceless and a well thought out extra that really fits the game as a whole. Everything else out there is just tacked on with a incentive to collect more money out of you. They do the same thing with making nearly every movie in 3D so this shouldn't be any different.

So the moral here is, Don't be a sucker.

There bad ass for sure. Plus the Halo:Reach Legendary Edition is totally bad ass. Nothing better than running around with a flaming helm, an T-Bagging poor people.

Also game themed Xbox360 are kick ass. I own 3 of them, never played them. But there just eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Siege89 View Post
    Also game themed Xbox360 are kick ass. I own 3 of them, never played them. But there just eye candy.
    Ha! tell that to my Halo 3 xbox360 that has broken once already and now can only read two or three of my games.

On topic: I personally don't see the point in paying extra money for a limited edition game, especially if the only thing you get is a gold plated gun(GoW) or special armor(Halo) or a special melee weapon(L4D). The way I see it, all of those things have little to no affect on the game play and are, for the most part, useless.

actually the special melee (the baseball bat in l4d2?) was for pre-orders (And the price was discounted from full price on the pre-order). It was worthless, but the 10% off for pre-ordering (more if you did a 4-pack) was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    actually the special melee (the baseball bat in l4d2?) was for pre-orders (And the price was discounted from full price on the pre-order). It was worthless, but the 10% off for pre-ordering (more if you did a 4-pack) was worth it
    That L4D pre-order baseball bat has been made into a regular melee item with the Passing DLC. Meaning people who pre-ordered L4D2 (I'm one of them) don't get bats to spawn in the saferoom sometimes since once again, they are just regular melee items now.

Also the price per game for the 4 pack on the pre-sales, was around 34 something.

34.75 iirc, over 10 dollars off the regular price (and about 10 off the pre-order price). Sucks they didn't leave the bat pre-order only though

I only get limited editions if they come with something i can have IRL. I hate SE's that ONLY give items in game, I want something physical for my extra money.

The best one I've bought was the GTA4 SE, I use the bag all the time and have stuff locked away in the lock box.

The only SE I have that didn't come with anything physical was Dragon Age Origins, and that's cause my friend bought it for me.

I bought three of them, but none were on release of said product. I bought Saint's Row 2's, Forza 3's and a limited edition Guitar Hero product. However, none were actually bought on release of the games and only because it would have been the same price as the regular games. All pre-owned, ya know?

Well, after much thought, I decided to cancel my pre-order of the Halo Reach Legendary Edition.

OK, it didn't take much thought. I counted all of the video games I own that I have not even beaten, and I decided right then and there that I needed to defeat more of those before I spent any more money on video games. The number of games I own that I have not cleared? 67. Scary, huh?