Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing images online

Default Sharing images online

I was wondering what the general practice was people had when sharing images online. Some people are more willing to show their faces than others, but that's not entirely what I am on about.

I often find myself scouring exif data of images, mostly out of curiosity and it just appears at a click of a mouse. And often some people own interesting cameras, sometimes, you can squint at the thumbnail at find that their eyes are the wrong color, because their photo editing program doesn't update the thumbnail when saved.

Often photos are taking by people's camera-phones. And these days phones are coming with GPS (there are a few point-n-shoot as well as profesional cameras with inbuilt GPS) and geo-tagging the photos in the EXIF data. So people often then photos in their house, say of their computer desk. It geotags it at their house. Which is uploaded for all to see. As imageshack and many other image hosts don't strip out the EXIF for you.

This is meant for computery talk really, Just that people have a habbit of setting and forgetting features on geotagging on their phone without knowing that other people can see it, and how accurate as well as inaccurate it can be. Just a more or less how paranoid or extreme you are willing to take this.
    And where you store it brings an interesting question, do you store it some where so you can delete it over time, or just forget about it?

I also find an increasing trend for people to be using links to facebook, saving them the hassle of re-uploading photos else where to share. As they can easily pass on the URL of jumbled numbers. But those numbers do mean something and is possible to trace back to the album and profile of the person who uploaded it.

So you may not be showing your face but you could potentially be leaking other information about yourself you may not be aware about. So what practices do you to get around this?

I use tools to automatically resize and strip the EXiF data. Where I upload it is a matter of strategy. But more often than not a unique URL on the image dump of the likes of imageshack is good enough. I don't really need a expire date on them.

didn't even know about that, though use most a webcam now to take pictures (or rely on pictures taken by someone else). Personally to paranoid to post pictures of myself on any sort of ab/dl site (will on like facebook and junk).

how do you strip exif data?

I don't think GPS EXIF info is a problem for me at the moment, but I will keep that in mind. I am not completely sure though. What can check a photo for the location info? I just downloaded this program called ExifPro, but I don't see anything about geotags or photo locations.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    I don't think GPS EXIF info is a problem for me at the moment, but I will keep that in mind. I am not completely sure though. What can check a photo for the location info? I just downloaded this program called ExifPro, but I don't see anything about geotags or photo locations.
    There's a website that will let you upload photos temporarily and check exif data. Depending on how paranoid you are, you may or may not want to actually upload your stuff there, but if there's geotag data, it will let you map it out on google maps, as well as link you to the model of phone/camera that took the picture.

I personally love EXIF data in general (which is why I upload all of my non-ABDL photos to Flickr, and have a Flickr Pro account, rather than uploading them to Facebook or TwitPic where the EXIF data is ignored, rather than displayed in a fancy table). And yes, I'm aware of all of the interesting information that can be stored in it, but I very rarely take photos with my phone (I have a £250 camera, so why would I use my crappy phone's camera when I have a choice?), my camera doesn't have a GPS receiver built-in, and the thumbnails are generally such low resolution that I don't care about them too much. I must admit that I generally forget about the EXIF thumbnails, but when I remember I just shrug and go back to forgetting about them

You may have noticed from my gallery pics that I tend to hide or pixellate my face in any photos I upload here. I'm gradually starting to care less about being "discovered", though, so I might stop doing that eventually. It's already pretty easy to link IRL me to ADISC me with very little information, so meh. Dunno

Will stop rambling inanely now...

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    There's a website that will let you upload photos temporarily and check exif data. Depending on how paranoid you are, you may or may not want to actually upload your stuff there, but if there's geotag data, it will let you map it out on google maps, as well as link you to the model of phone/camera that took the picture.
    ok, I don't see anything about location or geotag, so no problems here. And my camera surely doesn't have GPS in it. Geotaging is the only info that would bother me a little bit.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 08-May-2010 at 10:58.

Peachy

My camera has no GPS system, and so there's no need to strip the exif data really. I'm not too concerned if people find out what camera model, aperture value and shutter time I used, because I'll gladly answer the question of what camera I use.
    Besides, if the camera ID number is stored in the picture, you will probably have to spend a fair amount of time searching the internet to find another picture with the same ID, and then what?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Besides, if the camera ID number is stored in the picture, you will probably have to spend a fair amount of time searching the internet to find another picture with the same ID, and then what?
    I guess I tend to feel like I could possibly be a vigilante at times, And don't want any real way for people to try and chase up my warranty, I don't want my expensive hardware to be unfixable without a hefty bill!

But at the same time, I like to remove patterns and relations between photos, so a unique ID shared between images is something I dis like. Often I'll take photos of things with just a plain background like a whole white wall, carpet or my bed. So I don't leave anything in the background to give away any other possessions that I may try and take a photo else where on another site. And they just happen to spot that my room layout is like this other persons on another forum.

So I take them individually for deniability, and making it harder to be found out. There is nothing out there to document and create an itinerary off all my possessions etc..

You can only pretend to be someone for so long...

angelabauer

See, each of us has an entirely different take of sharing our photos within the AB/DL community.

After I first gave DPF permission to publish pictures of me in my AB clothing, I also started sending color copies of those same pictures to my AB friends. That was the summer of 1991, before there were digital cameras or scanner were affordable for home use. In fact, www did not come along for a few years, so there was no easy way for someone who got hold of my pictures making copies. Color Xerox were expensive and without a negative making a photo print was even more expensive.

Once scanner came down in price and www got faster, my private photos spread all over the Internet. The only negative comments I got were from commercial photographers trying to make a profit selling their own big baby girl pictures. From my standpoint the thing about folks scanning my pictures is there was no data linking those to a particular Nikon camera, roll of negative or processing lab. It is hardly a secret that I live in Los Angeles County, CA USA, which is so large finding me would be difficult.

Cyber security professionals working for me report attempts to locate me fairly often. Yet every business day I am either in my law office or a Downtown Los Angeles courtroom. Apparently in person dressed for court I do not look all that much as I do in my AB photos. The only times I have been recognized are at AB/DL Munches and events where although to the public I am dressed as an adult, I wear my hair in my "Baby Angel" style.

Over the years it seems to me the AB/DL community over-worries being discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Over the years it seems to me the AB/DL community over-worries being discovered.
    Not really, the paranoia is well-founded. Anon takes GREAT pleasure in tracking people down, and can be quite good at it. There have been plenty of people who have had their naked pictures posted on their school websites, or sent to every single one of their facebook contacts - hell, some people have even had their photos sent to their places of work.

My general rule? If you wouldn't want your boss or parents seeing it, don't post it online, because you never know when it will make it back to them.