Thread: A Better Birthday Party

Default A Better Birthday Party

Ok Everyone, this is definitely off topic, so this should be the right place. But here's the whole thing that has come up:

My littlest one just turned six. She goes to a private school, and most of the kids where she goes have had their parties at a place called "Pump It Up", a place filled with giant inflatable jumpy houses and slides and stuff like that. After six or so times of going there, it has gotten fairly boring.

We suggested to our daughter to do something different. She went for it, and everyone had a blast. We went to an indoor wind tunnel called "iFly", basically it's indoor skydiving. They take kids as young as three, so it's not like this wasn't safe for them.

It's not that the party didn't go over well--my god did it go over great! Several days later we're still getting e-mails thanking us for the party and kids and parents both telling us thank you for having them there at the party. More than one parent voted that this was the coolest birthday party for the year (several parents got to go in, not just the kids), one little boy who was almost too terrified to do it at the start came out after grinning screaming that he wanted a birthday party there.

Here is the only negative that came up during the whole event, and I'll put it out to ADISC to see what they can come up with. It was pointed out that someone is just going to have to one up us now on the party front (the parent who brought it up hoped it wouldn't be them!), but the question is this:

HOW?

I think that is a big problem in this world, people trying to one up everyone, what wrong with a regular kids birthday party.

Next thing you know you will have a teen trying to one up the next guy, by doing god knows what.

I know next year get your kid a new sports car.

Having done indoor skydiving before, I think it is an absolutely awesome experience. Since the experience was great as a young adult, I'd imagine that it would be unforgettable as a 6-year-old.

It is somewhat expensive; when I did it with a group it came out to something like $36 per person for a total of 2.5 minutes of "flight time".

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Having done indoor skydiving before, I think it is an absolutely awesome experience. Since the experience was great as a young adult, I'd imagine that it would be unforgettable as a 6-year-old.

It is somewhat expensive; when I did it with a group it came out to something like $36 per person for a total of 2.5 minutes of "flight time".
    If you think it's fun indoors in the tunnel, you can't even begin to fathom what the REAL thing is like. I've got over 800 jumps, it is an absolutely incredible experience that words fail to describe. The closest description we have come to is saying: "Describing skydiving to someone who has never jumped is like describing sex to a virgin."

As for price, we live here in the Silicon Valley of California. Your basic starter home (three bedroom, two bath, fixer upper) will run you from $400k (in the crime ridden neighborhoods) to $600k or more (in a halfway decent neighborhood). Housing for under $100k? Does not exist unless you want a one bedroom, one bath condo that is a three hour commute away.

Needless to say, the price of this birthday party was not too expensive compared to the inflatable house place, or anything else we could come up with (other than water in paper cups at a community park!!!). Other parents were the ones who wanted to one up us. I'm not sure they'll have an idea how to do it.

I think I found one--Circus school (including trapeze)!!!